• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent How to kill bird lice

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
My tiel is preening a lot ( not tooo much though), and then I tried to find what's the reason and found some "unwanted guests" :-( She's having either lice or mites. There are no vets here and even within 150 kms the vets are clueless about bird safe treatment of lice and mites. I am finding a good vet in my area but that will take atleast 2-3 days. Please tell me what should I do till then to ease her, I tried misting but that's not helping much! I can't see her in pain. What are other things that can be tried? I am attaching pics of those creatures I saw on her body....
Also, I've found some ways....tell me if you think they are safe and helpful 1. What is the best way to remove bird mites in Toronto? - Quora Do you think it's a good method?
2. Boiling some neem leaves in water and then spraying that water on my bird!
3. Rubbing Ash on bird's body (I find it strange but someone told me this will work)
4. This is something practiced in my country for lice treatment of birds. People add 4-5 drop of detol antiseptic(Buy Dettol Antiseptic Liquid , only on Pinhealth.com – Pin Health ) in one bottle water and spray twice at a time on birds wings and repeat it twice or thrice in a week! Is it safe?
Please share possible treatments from your side ... Pictures brand names & Product names will be helpful to me, if there's something available on Amazon (Amazon.in especially) then I can surely buy it :)

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
No, ash is horrible idea because birds breathing system. Citrus will not do darn thing either. Please follow advice given

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
No, ash is horrible idea because birds breathing system. Citrus will not do darn thing either. Please follow advice given
A big store has said they will look tomorrow if they have sevin dust, I'll update here if I get it... Again thank you everyone :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
it also keeps ants and roaches away. i spray the room against the baseboards and also the cage wheels

is safe enough to spray on newly hatched chicks
but deadly to insects including mites, lice and ants!

Inspect your bird for signs of feather mite damage

A.I.L. is an effective water based insecticide and insect growth regulator that gives three way protection for all avian species.

3 Way Protection
When used directly on the bird, A.I.L. penetrates deep into feathers to kill lice and mites. When sprayed around the environment A.I.L. kills insects on contact and the residual action guards against re-infestation for up to six weeks. Also, the growth regulation effect of A.I.L. prevents insect eggs from hatching and newly hatched insects from reaching maturity.

Recommended for: Safe for all species of bird. Use on mites, lice, flies, spiders, ants or any situation were external parasites are a problem, including nest boxes, flights, perches, aviary floors, indoor cages and for direct application to the bird.

Mixing Directions: US Conversion: 1 fl oz of AIL Concentrate into 19 fl oz of water to make a total volume of 20 fl oz.

Mix well. Pour the required amount of AIL Concentrate (50ml/L or 5%) into a trigger action pump bottle, add water for dilution, and mix well.

Application: Hold spray bottle 11 to 12 inches from the bird and apply four to five pumps per bird. Also spray cages, aviaries, perches and nest boxes thoroughly with diluted product. Repeat in six weeks or as necessary.

Note: Do not use with Reptiles or Fish.

Guaranteed Analysis
Permethrin 25g/L
Piperonyl Butoxide 125g/L
Methoprene 0.4g/L

Storage & Availability
Store below 30 degrees C (room temperature) in the closed original container in a dry place. Do not store in direct sunlight.

Available:
Concentrate 100ml (makes 2 liters)
Concentrate 500ml (makes 10 liters)

Avian Insect Liquidator - is safe enough to spray on newly hatched chicks but deadly to insects including mites, lice and ants! Lasts up to 6 weeks.
Please Select:
Plastic Spray Bottle with Measurments- Lady G's 16oz spray bottle has both US and Metric measures, as well as dilution measurements. Comes with both a sprayer and a cap making it ideal for mixing, applying and storage. This bottle comes labeled with a handy conversion chart and space to fill in contents, date, dosing instructions. Perfect for medications, bug sprays and all other concentrates.
Please Select:
Wide Mouth Spray Bottle- Our 32 oz sprayers feature a black graduated scale for quick dilution and mixing and a wide mouth for easy filling. Fill without spills, larger opening than a gallon jug. Fully adjustable spray pattern.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Mohit Gaur What was available that ended up working for you? :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Cool :tup: Good to know lovely Shine is feeling better. :hug8:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Neem oil can help but it's more of a repellent than a treatment.
Some of the over the counter medications are unreliable - either potentially dangerous or just not that effective, and they usually have very vague dosage instructions.
What I would try to do is have a nearby vet do a phone consult with an avian vet. The avian vet can help them choose the appropriate treatment and dosage. The treatment will probably be something like ivermectin, which is used for dogs and cats as well, so any vet should have it available.