1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Keep Weight on Flighted Birds?

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by AutumnRain, 4/15/19 at 7:46 AM.

1. AutumnRain

AutumnRain Sprinting down the street

Kelsey
    Emery has gotten so much more comfortable with flying. She loves zooming all around, and I love watching the joy that flying brings her. She zooms around quite often now, and these flights are getting longer, along with flying to me often. I'm having a much harder time keeping weight on her now that she's so active with flying. I've been giving her extra almonds, but is there anything else that would help?

2. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    Hemp seeds are great for active birds. :)

AutumnRain likes this.
  3. Ripshod

Ripshod Jogging around the block

Linden
    More quinoa, egg, even chicken breast. She doesn't need fats that much, more protein to help build good muscle.

Farlie and AutumnRain like this.
  4. AutumnRain

Kelsey
    Awesome! I will try all of those. Thank you, @Ripshod and @Eloy! :)

I do give her eggs, which she loves, two times a week. Should I increase that to even more days a week now?

5. Ripshod

Ripshod Jogging around the block

Linden
    I wouldn't give her fresh egg more than 3 times a week. I would rather give more quinoa in your case, maybe supplement with an eggfood based feed mix.

AutumnRain likes this.
  6. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Millet spray. Some sunflower seeds. My tiel was a big fan of the Higgins Worldly Cuisine mixes too.

Ripshod and AutumnRain like this.
  7. AutumnRain

Kelsey
    Thank you, @sunnysmom! I will look into the Higgins mixes for her. I have sunflower seeds and millet. I was giving them somewhat sparingly when she wasn't quite so active, but I can definitely give her a little more without any issue now. :)

Ripshod and sunnysmom like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)