• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Keep Weight on Flighted Birds?

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Emery has gotten so much more comfortable with flying. She loves zooming all around, and I love watching the joy that flying brings her. She zooms around quite often now, and these flights are getting longer, along with flying to me often. I'm having a much harder time keeping weight on her now that she's so active with flying. I've been giving her extra almonds, but is there anything else that would help?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hemp seeds are great for active birds. :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
More quinoa, egg, even chicken breast. She doesn't need fats that much, more protein to help build good muscle.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Awesome! I will try all of those. Thank you, @Ripshod and @Eloy! :)

More quinoa, egg, even chicken breast. She doesn't need fats that much, more protein to help build good muscle.
I do give her eggs, which she loves, two times a week. Should I increase that to even more days a week now?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I do give her eggs, which she loves, two times a week. Should I increase that to even more days a week now?
I wouldn't give her fresh egg more than 3 times a week. I would rather give more quinoa in your case, maybe supplement with an eggfood based feed mix.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Millet spray. Some sunflower seeds. My tiel was a big fan of the Higgins Worldly Cuisine mixes too.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Thank you, @sunnysmom! I will look into the Higgins mixes for her. I have sunflower seeds and millet. I was giving them somewhat sparingly when she wasn't quite so active, but I can definitely give her a little more without any issue now. :)