• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to keep weight on Amarillo

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I cannot seem to keep weight on Amarillo. I weighed her this morning after having her home for a week and she's down to 320 grams after being up to 355 grams. Her normal weight is 390 grams. She was obsessed with Nutriberries but now she takes a bite out of them and tosses them. We seem to go round and round on what food she will eat on what day. She goes from raspberries, to cherries, to peppers, today I gave her apple and she seemed happy with that. I thought I had gotten her back to Roudybush but now she's not interested in that. I'm thinking of trying the Instant Ounces but I don't know if she just doesn't have an appetite or if she's being finicky...

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
better than the sugary instant ounces is lafebervet's Emeraid Omnivore made specially for your case. the vet has to order it for you.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks Saroj! I will mention it to them. I have a call into them now. She seems to be doing well other than just being really picky...sigh...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When Hank and Jasper got so darned skinny the vet told me to give the Prozyme every meal and Tofu a couple of times a week. You only give them about 1 TBS of Tofu (the extra firm w/ no flavors). At the same time it won't hurt to put her on probiotics.

This is the brand that almost everyone uses; Amazon.com : Vetri-DMG 125 mg, 3.85-Ounce : Pet Antioxidant Nutritional Supplements : Pet Supplies

I have had Jasper on DMG for about 8 months now because of her chronic health issues and she is steadily improving. Prozyme predigests the food so it can be more easily adsorbed in the digestive system and probiotics will replace the natural flora and fauna in the digestive system that was reduced by antibiotics. To improve her appetite there is Mertazepine, or what really worked well on Jasper was a Vit B injection once a week for about three weeks.

Protein, rather than sugar or carbohydrates is much healthier for putting weight on them. I really don't like giving them meat because their digestive system is not set up for animal protein (there is a big difference between the two). Tofu is very high in protein as are a number of other "veggies" like white navy beans, spinach.

She will come along with consistent care.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks everyone! I never thought about trying beans with her. I'll stop and get some tofu as well and see if she shows any interest in either one of those. I gave her some apple slices today that she really chomped down on. She really seems to go in phases as to what she likes and what she doesn't like. I've never seen her so finicky before. I'm definitely not used to having a finicky eater...sigh...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Will she eat nuts? Almonds, pecans, etc. Birdie bread?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've tried slivered almonds and she shows no interest in them but I don't normally give them to her that way. I might have to go to the co-op and get some unsalted premium nuts for the princess!:) I did buy some birdie bread the last time I ordered food but haven't made it yet. I've been giving her bits of muffin that I had around this weekend that she went crazy for. I should try some toasted bread with red palm oil on it and see if I get anywhere with that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used the Emeraid. Wasn't liked but I added some flavoring such as organic baby food applesauce or apple juice and that helped.
Does she like millet? How about other nuts like walnuts or pine nuts? Toasted bread with almond butter? Volkman Soak and Simmer has lots of beans in it.
I don't feed my birds these but when one of them was very ill, very underweight and hospitalized the vet kept trying to feed her sunflower seeds

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've used the Emeraid. Wasn't liked but I added some flavoring such as organic baby food applesauce or apple juice and that helped.
Does she like millet? How about other nuts like walnuts or pine nuts? Toasted bread with almond butter? Volkman Soak and Simmer has lots of beans in it.
I don't feed my birds these but when one of them was very ill, very underweight and hospitalized the vet kept trying to feed her sunflower seeds
Yeah, I don't normally feed a lot of it either. I do have some of the Volkman Soak and Simmer that I got the last time I ordered food too...thought I would try something new. I'll have to give that a try. Almond butter! Good thought! I think she's just being finicky. She ate some muffin I gave her this weekend on two different occasions...wolfed that down. I'm going to have to think outside the box on this one I think...I think I'm being manipulated! I don't like that weight though, so I'll let her manipulate me!:) Other than that, I don't think she likes being caged but Iris kind of bothers her too much if I let her out and I still like to keep track of what she's throwing out of that food bowl and it's easier to keep an eye on her pooping. I need to find something to keep her more entertained while she's stuck in that cage...gee, can I do more back flips for this little green and yellow birdie who has me wrapped around her little toe?:) Off to the store now!:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've tried slivered almonds and she shows no interest in them but I don't normally give them to her that way. I might have to go to the co-op and get some unsalted premium nuts for the princess!:) I did buy some birdie bread the last time I ordered food but haven't made it yet. I've been giving her bits of muffin that I had around this weekend that she went crazy for. I should try some toasted bread with red palm oil on it and see if I get anywhere with that.
My foster goffin loves almonds in the shell. He also loves pecans in the shell too, and he has to work a bit to eat them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Have you ever tried my parrot butter Jen? The coconut oil, red palm oil and hemp seed are great "vegetable proteins/fat". The chia seed has lots of omegas (3&6).

It's like giving them white bread with butter which most parrots can't seem to resist. But it's whole grains with super food.

"Parrot Butter" | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what about my birdie crackers, they have lots of ground chia flour, flaxseed flour, oat flour, Kamut flour, plus some whole wheat flour. but you could use other flour in place of the whole wheat flour. my littles like them in the plain form and they like the cayenne ones also. you make it like pie dough and bake.

Pictures - baking for my 2 and the birds at the clinic | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

use the 2nd version less greasy and much easier to roll out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's corn on the cob season and I know in Wisconsin there is plenty. Try steaming one, cut in a size she can hold or kabob it. Roll it in sunflower or other seeds and nut pieces first. Or just try it plain. Hi carb for sure.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How about a piece of multigrain toast (size-appropriate) with RPO once a day?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Nuts and almond butter here. Elvis also gets handfeedings of Emerald critical care mixed with pom powder.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks everyone! I went to the store today and got some almond butter, corn, beans, a small package of pecans, almonds, and macadamia nuts. I gave her a few of each nuts along with some pretzel bread and a bit of muffin and some more apple. She loves the apple. Tried a bit of the muffin but wasnt impressed. Liked the pretzel bread but loved the pecans and the macadamia nuts and I think we got quite a bit in her. I fell asleep watching her chow down. I got up later and heated up the beans and what ended up being creamed corn and added some Soak and Simmer to that and some crushed pecans I had bought a few weeks ago for training purposes. She liked that too but I would have liked to have seen her eat more of that. Everyone got some of that and it was a huge hit! Even Cisco ate some of it and he's a picky little guy!:)

I'll try bread with almond butter tomorrow for breakfast and more macadamia nuts. I need more apples or maybe she won't be on an apple kick tomorrow. Raspberries are definitely out!

John, I do have everything for your recipe so will try that as well. And Dianne's corn suggestion. Still waiting to hear from the UW. I was away from my phone for part of today and I'm not sure if they even called. I should go look. Ugh!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@jmfleish

We like corn on the cob. We microwave it in the husk (easy peasy, just Google it).

A small wheel slice is cut off for each Amazon......make sure it's cooled before serving it though.