• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to improve her confidence?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Xena is a blind lovie, I have had her for 2,5 months now and she has come a long way! But we are not quite there:) She plays with toys in her cage, sometimes even flies or holds on to a perch and flaps her wings. She eats(just seeds though, and only small ones:chin: not even safflower or sunflower seeds!) and forages through her plate and snuggles up at night, usually next to a toy. So overall I do think she is happy, but I know she can enjoy her life even more if I find a way to show her the world outside her cage:)
She comes out sometimes, it depends on her mood and when I open her cage(her day-night rythym is a bit strange:wacky:). If she does she usually flies to the window and walks around in front of it. She can step up on a perch if I talk to her to let her know I am coming. I touch her belly very gently so she knows the perch is there. Then I back off and she beaks it and after some time climbs onto it.
She doesn’t take any treats, she is not really into millet spray and showing her that I have a single millet seed in my hand without scaring her is not very realistic at the moment:rolleyes::rofl:
I would love any suggestions you might have to give her more confidence to explore outside her cage:)
Also, she has new feathers coming in! When she came homr her neck was pretty much bald, and the rest scruffy. It was not too visible Unless she was stretching out though. But yesterday she was stretching a lot to play with a toy and I got a good look at her neck. It is partly covered in down feathers with new pinnies coming in:swoon: There still is a bare spot at the back but hopefully time Will fix that. And if not, I think her scruffy look was adorable and am kinda sad to see her ‘bracelet’ go:o:

Her first day here, you can kind of see the plucked area. It is not too obvious when you look at her but the bald patch was pretty big.
AC644CFF-FFE1-4E8D-B35F-E7946A837C48.jpeg
6974BE20-1D1C-4E5A-B94E-0391C26BDDE4.jpeg
Today:
E7075738-A1EE-46E7-AAE0-6866AD9F82C2.jpeg 951755CA-FE40-4AF5-B5F8-A6CFE63C3BC7.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
It sounds like she can see shadows and some shapes in her vision it's just not clear for her. Almost like she is looking through a fog. Gracie lost the sight in her left eye and it has been a hard change for her. When she has a crash landing or crashes into us she gets pretty freaked out and has to be comforted for a little while before she will make an attempt.

I would have her out and if she is comfortable being on your shoulder have here there while you go about your day and just let her hang out. You don't want her to become afraid to do things. Gracie won't go to see Bo anymore even though she can still see out of one eye because she doesn't trust herself so I take her for visits. If she does go to his cage she has to be missing me a lot to take the trip out to the other room but 99.9% of the time she just yells for us.

If you are able to get them I would try something like nutri-berries for her. She might like them more and it will give her some extra nutrients she might be missing. Gracie and Bo like the budgie blend and Gracie gets the senior blend mainly because she loves the stuff and is a picky eater.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It sounds like she can see shadows and some shapes in her vision it's just not clear for her. Almost like she is looking through a fog.

If you are able to get them I would try something like nutri-berries for her. She might like them more and it will give her some extra nutrients she might be missing.
Harley doesn't see well but she can definitely see light. I think I mentioned how I tried to take a picture of her with the flash on and she charged at my phone with her break open. :eek: Now I only take flash-free pics unless the room is already bright.

When she first came to us, she was so depleted from near constant egg laying that we added vitamin drops to her water and a powdered supplement over her food because she wouldn't even try much else. We've stopped using the vitamins now, but I do think they helped her back then. Her feathers and posture improved & she hasn't struggled with any more eggs and it seems like her vision even improved slightly since she's gotten some nutrients back in her.

I hope you can get this young lady to enjoy more out of cage time and more good foods. If anyone can do it, you can! :yes1: You're so creative and good at finding ways to make things fun for your fids.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you both so much for the advice! Hearing your experiences with your babies is really helpful. I have been so amazed by her, I am quite sure she sees even more than just light, but also shapes like Gracie:eek: Her cataracts are really big so I didn't think that was possible, but a few days ago she was climbing around the play area. A boing was hanging to the left of a willow branch, she has been on that exactly once when I put her there, but other then that she had no way of knowing it was there. She was stretching and 'eying' the boing, and then did a little hop right onto it:jawdrop1:
I made a nutriberry like treat(they don't like the actual ones:rolleyes:) for Henkie and Fëanor a while back, she did not go for those, but I ordered some real ones for her and she loooves those! I am so happy she is eating them, that is definitely an improvement for her nutrition. Stubborn little princess still hasn't really tried anything new, she does eat larger seeds like sunflowers now, but not sure whether that is an improvement:lol: