• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Help Resident Bird Accept Newcomer

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hello!

We have a 14 year old female pionus, and we just today brought home our new 3 year old male eclectus. Our ekkie seems to be settling in beautifully, but he is very curious about our pi. She is not so sure about him. I let her out of her cage briefly (while the ekkie was closed in his cage) and she strutted and flock/alarm called. I put her back in her cage because that shizz was loud lol. Any pointers on how to help this new bird seem like a remotely appealing idea for our "first child"?

The ekkie is quite a sweetheart - he honks and lunges a bit when I approach his cage, which is understandable on day one, but he stepped up nicely for a sliver of almond and accepted almond slivers from everyone in the family, even our toddler (who I was holding at the time of course!).

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Make sure she first everything first food water change first treat first out of cage first hello etc

I set a timer on my phone so they had 10mins each with me out of cage while other was in then went back to cages for something nice like veggies or their foraging toys filled up while other was out

when pip was out I made sure I gave remi attention and treats inside his cage remi would flip or wave while I was training pip so remi got a treat too

I think you just have to ride out the first bit of jealous until they become use to new member I didn’t reward any sign of aggression in remi he got rewards treats when he was calm I tried to say no fighting or just no when he showed aggression he knows no biting will stop altogether or nibble gentler

they may never get along but hopefully they learn to co exist at very least when your pi knows she still number one

I think mine helped that pip was more playing independent hes not like remi who loves attention and snuggles in my neck or to be climbing on me

pip loves doing tricks and training but he’s not a stay still hang out bird snuggle bird hes into everything so that helped remi have me still if that makes sense
And as helped remi play more now they are friends

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Pair the Eclectus with good experiences for your Pionus like treats. Start far enough away so the Pionus remains relaxed and bring them closer together in increments. Reinforce each increment with a favourite treat for each of them, but especially the Pionus. Stop way before the Pionus begins to get uncomfortable. Next time see if you can get a little closer.