• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to help my parents realize that pet rats are great animals?

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
If your parents are fine with the birds, but not okay with the rat or hamster or other small furry creature. Then, you need to abide by their rules. You will be out and in a place of your own and can get whatever creatures your heart desires. When I was able to, I got a horse. I couldn't have one of my own, although they did help me with riding lessons when I was young.

Remember, your parents are trying to do what they believe is best for you. Also, there may be financial issues - as far as the expense of lots of bird toys - that may be the real reason that they say "you need to spend your money on it" - theirs may well be all accounted for with the mortgage and car payments and other expenses of running a house.

Also, to be able to find a way to get things either by working for the money or to figure out how to make them yourself inexpensively is an excellent skill to learn while young. :) It is great that they think you are responsible with your great bird care.

They DO want you to be happy and content. :)

MamaLovesFrogs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ellen
When I was a teen, I had a pet rat named Violet. She was harness trained and I used to take her for walks, she would explore my bed and burrow in sheets and pillow while I did my homework . She would come when you called her name. She would ride on my shoulder and if she had to use the bathroom she would climb down to the ground, use the bathroom then come back to my shoe to get back up. I didn’t train for it she just did that. She was a sweetie pie.

I also had a baby cowbird that I was feeding and training to a pet. The baby bird had flown into the warehouse and into the office where my mom had worked. Dream come true for me, it was one of my favorite birds, with the purple and green hues reflecting when the sun hit just right.

One day my cousins were over and was playing with Violet, they didn’t latch the cage properly. Next thing we know we hear screaming from my room. Ran in there and there was my baby bird with its throat ripped out and Violet going to town, blood all over her face.

I had lost my dream come true bird and my relationship with Violet never really recovered.