• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get a bird back in it's cage?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
He is a flightless dove, as mentioned before. Right now he will walk out of his cage to munch on treats and food at my desk, but he won't go back in for food.

I was wondering how I could get him in, as he isn't hand tame?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
So I can't remember, did you try taking the food outside of his cage away thirty minutes to an hour before you want him to go back, and then putting his favorite food inside his cage when it's time to go in?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Yes, I have.*
So I can't remember, did you try taking the food outside of his cage away thirty minutes to an hour before you want him to go back, and then putting his favorite food inside his cage when it's time to go in?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
How about a T stand? Would he step up on one?

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have a macaw who stays out all day and only goes in at night. He definately won't step up or allow touching.
He doesn't get any sort of dry food until it's bedtime, only fresh. Then at night he gets his dry and will go in for it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I was lucky, Secret would do anything for a tiny shred of cheese. I could lay it on a perch and in she would go.

MC had a weakness for a cheerio.

You need to figure out what THE thing the bird wants more than anything.

You mention he comes out for treats....can you save some special treats for luring back at night?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
I was lucky, Secret would do anything for a tiny shred of cheese. I could lay it on a perch and in she would go.

MC had a weakness for a cheerio.

You need to figure out what THE thing the bird wants more than anything.

You mention he comes out for treats....can you save some special treats for luring back at night?
I use the same treats at night :/

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Would it be bad to herd him in at the end of the day? Placing my hand on the perches til he walks away?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I wouldn't. It would be much better to find the most liked treat, wait until he's very hungry, and lure him to the cage with it. Having him run from your hands will just reinforce his fear.

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
I wouldn't. It would be much better to find the most liked treat, wait until he's very hungry, and lure him to the cage with it. Having him run from your hands will just reinforce his fear.
Ah. I'm finding he wants his treat, he just won't go inside to get it. Any ideas for that?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Is there a ladder or a perch you could use to attach to the cage so he can get back in it on his own?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Update: I got him a UV light I've been meaning to buy, so he is much more active and is actually running back in if I start to make him too uncomfortable. He crawls back in for food when hungry now.

Onur34

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Onur SOPACI
Hello greetings from TURKEY. I am really sorry for my english. I will try to explain how I've teached to go back in his cage. First of all the most important thing is that your parrot must absolutley understand and know that once he is in his cage he can (or will) go outside once again. So he will trsut you and will not afraid to get in his cage.

I am sure that he has a perch in his cage so you must train him to go on his perch first. I don't if you are working with a clicker and a chopstick. If not please read the training method. Please read all the topic:

An Introduction to Clicker Training | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

So train your parrot first in his cage and teach him to go on his perch. Use always the same word as command for example 'perch', 'cage', Go in', 'inside' etc. When he is on his perch say 'good' and offer his treat. Repeat this training until he goes to his perch on your command. Then youn can let him go outside his cage and on your command he will go to his perch inside the cage. Do absolutely not close his cage in the beginning let her go out and go back in her cage. I hope that I could explain :D If you need more do not hesitate to ask. Good luck