• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Feed special needs

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I've been meaning to come on here to ask those of you how do you feed your handicapped parrots? What I'm looking for is do you cut the food in little pieces or do you cut them in much larger chunks?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, in what context is 'handicapped'?

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yes, more Info would help.
I'm sorry, his right leg is very limited on use. He was attacked by a raccoon years ago I was told (prior owner). They didn't take him to a vet and cared for it themselves. My vet said that there isn't much mobility to it.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry, his right leg is very limited on use. He was attacked by a raccoon years ago I was told (prior owner). They didn't take him to a vet and cared for it themselves. My vet said that there isn't much mobility to it.
Ah, we're in very similar boats. My bird, Java, was attacked by a raccoon and lost a leg and the remaining leg he has has tendon entrapment so he has no range of motion in his leg and can only use three of his toes. I don't do anything differently with his food other than make sure it's fine enough that he can eat without dropping it. He eats with his face in the bowl like a budgie.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He should be able to eat normally , try different foods with him,,,I mean, really act like your eating it and enjoying it..he wants what you have.. what's his name?

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He should be able to eat normally , try different foods with him,,,I mean, really act like your eating it and enjoying it..he wants what you have.. what's his name?
He eats ok I guess. I was just wondering if I could make it a little easier for him.