• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to encourage eating chop/fresh foods?

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
Maybe I haven't been looking in the right places, but how does one go about getting their bird to start eating fresh foods, such as whole veggies and fruit, chop, mash, bread, etc...? I never had success with my quaker of 18 years, and I don't want to let my WCP, Maya, go so long without. She's only four months right now, so what is the best way to get her eating? She eats Zupreem pellets, Higgins seeds as treats, and Nutriberries as treats.

We tried to feed her with us at dinner, but she mostly wants what's on our plates (with garlic, bad birdy...).

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Pretend to eat it yourself! And then they will be all over it. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Well if she already wants what you're eating, put her veggies, etc. on your plate and pretend to eat them!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Also try serving them different ways. I found for instance that my tiel only liked his veggies chopped in tiny pieces- except for lettuce which he liked to eat the big leafs. But seem birds like big pieces, small pieces, hanging, on a plate, etc.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The way I did it was to offer them only chop in the morning when they first move to their daytime cage. There is no other food in the morning--no seeds or pellets or treats (except if we are training). If their only option for the first few hours, when they are hungriest, is veggies, believe me they'll eat it!

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Mine do not even attempt to try them if they're glooped together in the blender. Even with seeds on top to tempt!

I've been putting it in before they get their pellets when they're the hungriest. Most of them either try it, or go over and eyeball it likes it's going to kill them.

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
Thank you all for the suggestions so far! I'm gonna try them, but some will have to wait for the weekend, as I work all day long during the week...

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
The number one thing is to try and try and try again. Their tastes will change over the seasons and years. And keep trying in different ways as well. Some days try a fine chop, some days make it chunky, maybe try skewering bigger chunks or even a whole pepper. Embed it with foods they do like. If you know your parrot LOVES a certain nut, try wrapping it up in a collard green leaf! Be creative :)

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I give chop or cooked in the morning , give nutria berries as treats and have egg, noodles, veggies when we have dinner and Pipsqueak comes to the table. I hang herbs (thyme, rosemary, chamomile etc. in the cage and mix in foraging toys.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Try feeding it warm if you have not. Also, you could soak her pellets to make them soft and mix them in. She might try some chop that way. I also add spices and RPO to tempt my birds.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Some success! Maya decided to try out the chop while we were eating dinner. :) Carrot, yellow and green bell pepper, and collard greens. About all I could get ahold of that my husband wasn't hoarding. lol

My friend has an older Amazon (50-60) and gets her to eat healthy by letting her eat in proximity to them when they dine and gives her food from his plate. So, he'll have his regular meal and some warm chop on his plate to "share" in her dish. Glad she's trying the good stuff!