• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to discourage regression?

Caerus the gcc

Sitting on the front steps
So I've finally brought home my green cheek conure Caerus. She turns 8 weeks old on Tuesday so a little young but the breeder said she is ready. The thing I was wondering is how I can discourage any regression? I was told this is a possibility and given formula just in case

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The best way is just to help make her feel safe and that she will be fed. Offer her the same foods the breeder weaned her too, and you can also offer her some warm, easy to eat foods 2 or 3 times a day such as mashed sweet potato or other soft veggies, oatmeal, softened weaning pellets, ect.
If she does regress to wanting handfeedings, it isn't the end of the world. You can try preparing the formula and offering her some off a spoon or your fingers, if you aren't confident handfeeding from a syringe. Usually a few bites of formula is all they really want and then they will sample the other foods you offer.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations on your baby GCC.

I think 8 weeks is young to be fully weaned. I did bring home my Conure at the same age, but continued giving her 2 hand feeds a day. I believe in abundance weaning and think that if your baby indicates she'd like a hand feed, that she should be offered it. Good luck with your sweet baby.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So I've finally brought home my green cheek conure Caerus. She turns 8 weeks old on Tuesday so a little young but the breeder said she is ready. The thing I was wondering is how I can discourage any regression? I was told this is a possibility and given formula just in case
Of course that's what the profiteering, get em out quick breeder said. It's his job. Your bird just being in a brand new situation AGAIN in all likelihood will regress some. Comfort feed that bird whenever it wants, for as long as it wants and teach it to fly.

Caerus the gcc

The breeder I got her from was in no hurry to have her come home to me. I only live 10 minutes away as well so if I have to she can go back for a little bit. She simply weaned early. Hasn't begged for food in a week. Just nibbles once a day mostly cause she was the oldest. She's been eating lots of pellets and a bit of wild rice today. I just want to keep her happy and safe. She is already a very good flyer. Only one flighted of her siblings by my request. She will be flighted forever.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If she asks, then give her formula. Her world has been turned around and you, as Mommie, must make her feel better and safe. She will wean when she's ready.
:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The best way to discourage regression is to not take home a baby until its been a few weeks since its last hand-feeding. A baby can be weaned and fine at the breeders but as soon as it goes to the new home, it starts having problems because of the stress. If you are concerned about regression, give it back to the breeder and tell them you'll pick it up when it's more solidly weaned.

If that isn't an option, you can also give it warm mashy food like cooked soft sweet potatoes a couple times a day. Some people like to give an evening hand-feeding for a couple days and then phase it out. What you do NOT want to do is start giving it a whole bunch of formula and let it con you into thinking it needs comfort feedings 4 times a day. Then YOU will have regressed your baby. If it was weaned, it should be able to get by with either no hand-feeding, or a few cc's before bedtime. Plus some warm soft veggies in the morning and that should be it. Note, that that means about two warm mushy feedings a day: veggies in the morning and maybe/maybe not formula in the evening. This does not mean constantly giving it warm food all day long trying to prevent regression because if you do that, you will succeed in making the baby think that it doesn't need adult food and you will have encouraged the baby to regress. If it needs more than that to maintain weight, you should take it back to the breeder. Another thing that helps is NOT to stand around staring at the baby willing it to eat. Or sit with it so hoping that it'll eat something that you hand it food constantly. Put food in the bowl and then leave. Maybe hand it a piece to get it interested and then leave. Even if the baby drops the piece you gave it and begs from you, you still leave. If you can't keep from obsessing over it, go fishing, take a hike, shopping with your bff, do something that gets you away from the house for several hours. Let the bird learn that its okay to be a grown up. Weigh the bird every morning before the first meal but know that the first day it will lose A LOT of weight. Just the nature of going to someone else's home will cause a baby or even adults to drop weight. This does not mean that the baby has regressed and needs continual comfort feedings. It just means it switched homes and weight loss happens. Day 2 in its new home should have less weight loss but possibly still a slight drop from day 1. By day 3, things should be leveling off(not gaining, just failing to lose more). If not, you need to consider going back to the breeder. Especially if you are doing a once a day comfort feeding and the bird is continuing to drop weight after day 3. It will probably take a few weeks for the baby to regain the weight it lost from switching homes. This is not a weaning issue that necessitates comfort feedings. Even older birds that have been weaned for 20 years will do this. Often times taking a few months to gain back weight it lost in the first 24 hours in a new home.

As you can probably tell, I much prefer that people just leave the bird at the breeder. I don't like people comfort feeding babies that I sell based on advice from the internet experts. People can screw up their bird and make it co-dependent trying to abundance wean their bird. This bird should already be weaned. Abundance weaning has already happened and is done. Giving the baby a bunch of "comfort" feedings that it doesn't really need just fosters co-dependence and all the stuff you don't want. Babies that can't handle switching homes aren't weaned and need to go back to the breeder to grow up some more. That is the breeder's job. Also, when in doubt, discuss with your breeder and consider their advice as more important than that of some random person on the internet.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is already a very good flyer. Only one flighted of her siblings by my request. She will be flighted forever.
Good. If you don't want her to regress, don't clip her for at least a few weeks. Even if you change your mind. Flighted babies wean faster and stay weaned better.

Caerus the gcc

From what I've seen today there hasn't been any issues. She's very playful, clingy and honestly velcro bird. I got home after 8 hours of work and she's been just on me playing ever since. I'm not doing any comfort feeds. The only reason I'd hand feed is if she begs for it but all around doing really well. I made this thread for advice incase anything does happen but I'm not worried as she's growing up quickly. Its a couple hours past when she would get fed and just being playful and happy I'm home is all

Rolanda

Very pretty little one you have!
Honestly, there is no problem if she wants a little comfort feed daily or here and there. You can tell by her behavior if she does. If she is content she may still want to at some point. She's a baby, and it's no slight on you if she does. You could even soften pellet and give it to her. It's all about HER remember. 8 weeks IS young, but if she's eating fine and she wants any it won't be much. Please don't be stuck on not comfort feeding if she wants/needs it. You can give softened pellet or even the formula to her by spoon too, no special equipment required.:xflove: