• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to deseed a Pom the Martha way - for Merlie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Well, Bonnie and I have been halving the Pom's...her birds get half, my birds get half...she does it under water....I do it with scoring the skin and pulling it apart and flipping out the seeds...it opens where the thin skins are....and they come out whole for me...with my 24 birds...it is much easier/less costly than giving them quarter or such...I am finding very few seeds left in their fresh live foods...Bonnie is finding red remains around the rim of their dishes...looking like someone was killed in the bowls LOL! Interesting how different birds eat things....but they are loving them! Going to try Martha's method the next time I buy them!...I like that!!!!!
:dancing:

Last edited:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tried it the martha steward way this morning,.It worked great!

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Buying poms tomorrow & will try it then--anything's better than the underwater way:D

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
The new method worked for me also. I do cook with the seeds or sit and snack on them. The birds like to help eat the seeds. If I don't need to store any the birds can have a quarter of the pom and de-seed themselves.

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I just hold them underwater and rub the arils loose. This looks like it might be a little faster, thanks for the tip!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Try it on the new Pom's this AM and it works! Had no issues at all....:dance4::hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I think it stays fresher longer just to keep the Pom intact and slice in half and take out seeds for each day to put on food. I put the remainder of the Pom in a ziploc sandwich bag.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I tried Martha's way & it worked GREAT except I kept whacking my thumb! This is my new way, as I like to get the arils out, & keep them in a baggie w/ a slightly damp paper towel. I find they stay fresher this way, & get served more often. Try some on a salad (yum!)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It worked for me today! I quartered it, scored it and hit with a heavy spoon. Worked great!
pom 001.jpg pom 002.jpg

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I must have really hit it hard :o: or I had a bad pom :rolleyes: I'll have to give it another go! :D

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
never tried poms before, but after seeing this thread I found the 3-for-$2 and had to get some. I love finding new things for the birds to try! For my caique and zon, should I give them chunks or get all the seeds out for them?

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Either way--you can keep them in chunks & put it on a skewer. Warning--you don't know what BITTER is 'til you taste some of that white membrane they're wrapped in! And I guess I'm the only one w/a bruised thumb.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
All I do is cut a cross along the top of it then pry it apart into quarters. Firmly but gently. Do it over a bowl or sink full of water and it's easy to peel the skin and pith away from the seeds. I get all the seeds this way.

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
I never thought of scoring the skin. Brilliant! I didn't try the spoon-whack part of it, as my pom had started to go soft and had a couple bad spots.. but just being able to pull it apart was amazing! I usually just pick at it with a fingernail until I get to the seeds so I don't cut any of the seeds... it'd take me 30 minutes just to get a section free! Now I just need to get Kai to eat pom arils... he doesn't know what to do with them and instead of eating them, just waves them around and plays with them. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.