• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to deseed a Pom the Martha way - for Merlie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
that's interesting - wonder if it bruises the kernels though - which wouldn't matter if you were cooking with them right away like they were?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't know...I haven't tried it but I did pick up two poms today at the store...I can let you know!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm gonna try that! That sounds like a great idea! I'll run to the store later and pick me up a Pom as I need lettuce anyway. My mouth started to water when I saw those tasty red seeds! Whoot :)

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
I'll have to try that. I just opened 3 last week using the bowl of water method and it's a total pain. I try to stock up on them this time of year and freeze them. I always cut up fruits and veggies at night, so I toss the frozen kernels in the mixture the night before and by morning, they are defrosted.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
:o: I saw this and my mind Pom=Pomeranian. I was SO confused! But that's a good method! I keep meaning to pick up a pomegranate for my monsters.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
:o: I saw this and my mind Pom=Pomeranian. I was SO confused! But that's a good method! I keep meaning to pick up a pomegranate for my monsters.
:rofl: I've thought that before too, so you're not the only one, LOL! Cool video, I also tried the water method- was a pain to get opened, so I'll have to go get a pom or 2 at the grocery store soon and try this method of getting it opened. We can also take our anger/any anger we have out ON the POM- LOL!!!!

Last edited:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Won't open for me. What was their method?
I use a big bowl of water, after cutting off the top and scoring the skin. Works easily, and no damage to the seeds. But I want to see the "beat the heck out of it" method, lol.
Martha quarters them then uses the backside of a large wooden spoon and gently whacks them on the skin side while holding over a bowl - supposedly the kernels just fall right out when you do that :eek:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Cool! I will try it today...just bought 4 'cause I found some nice big ones for a dollar each! Gonna seed 'em & freeze 'em. I freeze them in small ice cube trays for her Nibs.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

Martha quarters them then uses the backside of a large wooden spoon and gently whacks them on the skin side while holding over a bowl - supposedly the kernels just fall right out when you do that :eek:
I can't see how this would work? It seems the arils would be damaged? Maybe not though....interesting!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It appeared to work good on the video. I'm going to try this tonight :D

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll tack Martha whacking seeds any day!!!:D I'll have to try it!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
WOW I do it the hard way.Slice into it..and scoop the seeds.It looks like a small crime scene when I'm done.I did 6 last week like this.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
this video looks like it doesnt harm the seeds either.Next pom gets this method to try.:)

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I just got done deseeding a pomegranate just so I could try this method. It worked okay, but I think I'll stick to my usual method. Some arils came out and didn't seem to be damaged at all, but they didn't all come out. I still had to remove quite a few by hand. I had trouble just scoring the pom and not actually cutting it, but I always have the problem. Somebody else might have better luck with it.

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
I'm so using this method...So much easier and faster than what I was doing..:rolleyes:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I just got done deseeding a pomegranate just so I could try this method. It worked okay, but I think I'll stick to my usual method. Some arils came out and didn't seem to be damaged at all, but they didn't all come out. I still had to remove quite a few by hand. I had trouble just scoring the pom and not actually cutting it, but I always have the problem. Somebody else might have better luck with it.
Just bought some more today; they were huge, deep red and very heavy - all signs of a perfect pom:)
But I am NOT trying that method, at $3. ea I would hate to massacre them!

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Are people doing this to feed to their birds or to eat themselves? I ask as I just quarter our poms and feed with skin and all to our birds. They have a blast doing all the work themselves, so why do it for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.