• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How To Deal With Unenthusiastic Kakariki?

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
So, some of you have already met cheese. Right now we're working on target training but he's not interested. I've tried many different treats, food and even saying good boy but he just loses interest. I leave time between our 2-5 min training sessions for around 10 minutes but even so he's still not bothered. Only sometimes he touches it, and usually only if the stick is right next to him.

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
well to elaborate, he will move his head, rotate it but he won't move a single step.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So, some of you have already met cheese. Right now we're working on target training but he's not interested. I've tried many different treats, food and even saying good boy but he just loses interest. I leave time between our 2-5 min training sessions for around 10 minutes but even so he's still not bothered. Only sometimes he touches it, and usually only if the stick is right next to him.
He's not interested because what your doing isn't rewarding enough. Instead of something you want him to do find something "he" wants and start there.

There's also a lot to be said for technique. You may need to reexamine

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Some birds also just aren’t food motivated. Dexter won’t do a think for any kind of food, but I’ve taught him to fly to me because I get super excited whenever he flies to me on command. He loves the attention more than any food.

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
How can I tell when he's bonded to me? Can the moment he's bonded be defined or will it always be indefinite; I will never be able to tell if Im bonded or not?

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
How can I tell when he's bonded to me? Can the moment he's bonded be defined or will it always be indefinite; I will never be able to tell if Im bonded or not?
I generally define it as when the bird seeks you out, comes to you on its own.but everyone has its own definition, and I know birds (namely Dexter) who will seek out literally everyone, especially strangers. For the more skittish species, that’s how I define it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How long have you had him? When it happens you'll know. Trust, respect, love all have to be earned. That takes familiarity/time. There is no shortcut.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
at this point a few months
That's about long enough to not consider you a mortal threat. Possibly even a bit of a friend. There is no timetable. You will not even see all this birds behaviours for a full season. So you can reasonably expect it to take at least that long. And that has a lot to do with how much time and energy you put into earning it. As I said in post 7.

It's about choice. The right choice gets rewarded. Not about demanding stuff like trick/stick training. Get to know your bird through keen observation and do things he likes. You'll be surprised how quickly he trains you. :)

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I always say you don’t tame a bird, you befriend them. You can’t rush it, force it, and each one takes their own time to learn to trust you.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Took Lurch 5 years, but he did get there. He was a used parrot and very mad at the world and quick to bite without warning when he got here. I very slowly came to a understanding with him and earned his begrudging trust. I still got bit but he warned me first and didnt try as hard because he cared for me but some things had to be corrected in his world. Your early on yet and he'll probably come around a lot faster once he decides you've earned his trust and love. The befriending them is so very true by the way.