• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to create a healthy sleep schedule in a small space?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was so worried about Gigi's sleep (8PM-7AM without a cover) when my son came home and then his girlfriend was here for 3 months. I knew they would be making noise far later than Gigi was used to. She is in her own room at night but it doesn't have doors and is connected to the kitchen and living room. I installed tension rods and sheers on both entrances. There are lights on right outside of those curtains. Last night I heard my son grind spices in the Vita-mix at 10PM. Anyway, despite these changes for Gigi, I've not seen her have any behavior changes and she has not seemed to nap more during the day. We do occasionally hear a little buzz or wolf whistle in the night, but it feels like she is just saying hello.

Good luck as you test what works in your small space.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
is there a cuboard you can retro fit into asleep space for the bird?
I've seen that done in one of the few "RV's with bird" people I have met. If you could just see the custom renovations I have designed in my mind's eye. Complete with a cage that utilizes the concept of RV slide outs. Also a large on the ceiling aviary in the bedroom! And some wonderful multi purpose pieces that change with the time of day, or need, or want. Now if only I could build them!

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
@Alien J I have similar ideas. :) I want to have an outdoor aviary that I can connect to the awning. And if my unit was bit enough, I'd remove some of the extra furniture and create a hanging rope/woven mat/natural branch play stand.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'd remove some of the extra furniture and create a hanging rope/woven mat/natural branch play stand.
That's run through my mind. It's hard for me to give TD run of the full RV. It's a lot to ask everyone else to stay out... meaning the dogs. It depends on weather, where we are... it's also a lot of work to bird proof the whole RV for fly time and put it all back to normal when we're done.

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
It's a lot to ask everyone else to stay out... meaning the dogs.
I know exactly what you mean. I have all three (2 dogs and 1 bird) out together until the 1 dog starts to get too worked up. Then she gets put in the bedroom with a chair blocking her path (so she can see/hear but can't get to us). We had a near fly-out-the-door scare the other day so I've also started locking the door if my husband steps outside. Con: Husband is locked out. Pro: Bird cannot get loose

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know exactly what you mean. I have all three (2 dogs and 1 bird) out together until the 1 dog starts to get too worked up. Then she gets put in the bedroom with a chair blocking her path (so she can see/hear but can't get to us). We had a near fly-out-the-door scare the other day so I've also started locking the door if my husband steps outside. Con: Husband is locked out. Pro: Bird cannot get loose

What about hanging a shower curtain on a adjustable rod (or some design that's similar) giving TD a bit more room during the day? Use it as the 1st door in a double door system w/ your screen & Rv door as your second. Many here have used them in situations where they want to keep their fids in a room or only in that room where no door exhists. Just a thought to give TD a little more safe space & then the dog's can still have a free range of sorts.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
We had a near fly-out-the-door scare the other day so I've also started locking the door if my husband steps outside. Con: Husband is locked out. Pro: Bird cannot get loose
There's a better way to relieve the worry of out of door escape. Create a double door system. It was actually easier to do this in our tiny 26' RV then our current RV. The original "Bye-bye House" had the entry door two thirds of the length of the trailer back on the passenger side. The refrigerator was to the right of the door and created about a foot of wall where we hung our jackets. The rear bathroom and storage closet created the same on the left. It made a sort of entry hallway. We just hung a curtain to make a double entry. I'm not very good at describing things for visual interpretation.

We do the same now. It's really just a heavy, fabric shower curtain on a suspension rod hung right in front of the screen door (on the inside). No one ever opens or closes the door when TD is out, it's just an extra precaution in case the outside door doesn't latch well, or any other unforeseen possibility.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
giving TD a bit more room during the day
I think your message was directed at M&M Ninja! TD is my baby. I am looking into a screen type door/curtain I can hang across the bedroom door. That way the dogs could be in there, but not have the door shut on them. The bedroom is really just a bed with very little space around it. And unfortunately, in our bedroom the storage for clothes or whatever is a large, square cupboard directly over and almost as large as the bed (a design Winnebago didn't use for long). It makes it feel really claustrophobic. It's hard for TD to actually fly in the bedroom because of it. But I hate to shut the dogs up in that tiny space so closed off from us.

Last edited:

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
Since the escape scare, we've actually switched to using our rear door. It has a door before a door and works well for bird security. It has a much narrower passageway and higher stairs to get to the ground outside. So not our favorite door for sure, but much more secure for the birdo.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think your message was directed at M&M Ninja! TD is my baby. I am looking into a screen type door/curtain I can hang across the bedroom door. That way the dogs could be in there, but not have the door shut on them. The bedroom is really just a bed with very little space around it. And unfortunately, in our bedroom the storage for clothes or whatever is a large, square cupboard directly over and almost as large as the bed (a design Winnebago didn't use for long). It makes it feel really claustrophobic. It's hard for TD to actually fly in the bedroom because of it. But I hate to shut the dogs up in that tiny space so closed off from us.
I'm sorry! I really have to stop posting when my eyes cross @ the end of a busy day...

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
A bit late to this party, but one option I like is a fixed attachment for a large Celtei backpack on the wall above the bed - fixed so that it doesn’t swing at all and feels like a high roost that can be taken down quickly in an emergency. Sleep cage/evac pack already sealed containing bird, night time snack and some good toys. That might not work as nicely for species which aren’t year-round cavity sleepers, though, (would it induce nestiness or hormones?) and they are definitely more likely to hold the morning poop for freedom if they are sleeping in a defined roost-cage! Targeting the first flight is a must ;) I am curious about RV/small space living...

About sleep, though, oh man. I have never, ever believed they sleep through the night - if I’m sharing the room I can hear all sorts of goings on (Mer sometimes has to loudly ask Emmie to be quieter) for short periods once to six times a night, and if I’m not sharing space the clear evidence is in the destruction of inch thick pieces of pine they would never even attempt to chew during daylight XD and other destroyables. Night beavers, oh man. Especially as the nights get longer they are definitely active at night!

Cord might develop strong feelings about morning, nights, both or neither, haha! I have one who would happily sleep in but wakes us all at 7.30 right now but has very strong bedtime opinions, and one who would like to wake up at 4 am and has learned to agree to my other bird’s rather more reasonable schedule. Lots of praise involved at night, and Mer-tuned ears in the morning. My first bird had strong seasonal opinions about both!

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
And then the sleep/vet/outing cage is a place of major comfort, rest and security in more stressful or exciting situations :heart:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
backpack on the wall above the bed - fixed so that it doesn’t swing at all and feels like a high roost that can be taken down quickly in an emergency.
Great idea. I almost bought TD a "pack-o-bird awhile ago. Now I wish I would have. Do you have one?

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
A couple came with one of my rehomes and I do use them for all of the above :) They definitely take damage when used heavily and I’ve had to have one repaired and another altered, but the birds definitely treat them as a place to relax and recharge when travelling! I would love to get a divided backpack though carrying two+birds+meals+perches&toys is still something I can easily do with one hand - a major benefit of 60 g birds!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was going to tag AlienJ because of your camping/RVing interest. I believe there are a few that did or do RVing w/ their fids. I can only think of one that did it, but doesn't anymore. I hope I'm remembering correctly.

@Hankmacaw

Rving info requested... Didn't you post you used to. Please see above post by Kokako under AlienJ's post.

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
Thanks :) I’m mostly wondering about tiny spaces and fliers - I could cope happily but Em loves flying so fast using our little mezzanine for swoops. Harness training is still harness acclimatisation here :p

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
Hey @Kokako , I was worried about the loss of flying fun as well. When we visited our conure at the breeder's, she and her clutch mates were crazy amazing flying acrobats. Like, wow! Even though I thought she was a good size for our RV, I worried that she wouldn't fly as much and would become sad.

I needn't have worried. This RV is about 27 feet long inside and she flies around without hesitation. She even goes into her super-sonic speed mode. Zip into the bedroom, tight circle (or two!), back out and through the central 'great room', into the bathroom and onto the towel rack. Then she jumps, falls, flies, zips, zooms, lands on my shoulder. Then she deliberately falls of my shoulder, back into the bedroom, 4 laps back and forth down the whole length, then she stops on her perch near the great room window. So I'd guess a 123 gram bird is a good match for a 27 foot space.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Great ideas here. We are considering living in a camper again. We did it before birbs. And I am sure we can do it now with birbs. Thankfully, my dog only bark when I say speak. ;)