• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to clean bird stains from wood?

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
I got a good deal on a manzanita stand that I couldn't pass up ($100), it has a few stains that I would like to clean up if possible.

I washed and scrubbed it outside and have it outside for a few days so it can dry out but there are still some faint bird stains on the lower tier branches.

Is there something I can use to take the stains out, maybe some trick someone knows about?

They may be hard to see, but I know they are there so if I can get it cleaned up better, I'd like to. Maybe that's just not possible since its just dyed from bird droppings.

Might be hard to see with the lighting but I can see them on both lower tier branches.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I bought mine used and I took a power sprayer to it. It's been years ago and I can't remember how else I cleaned or disinfected it but I remember the power sprayer.

If you don't have a power sprayer, can you take it to a car wash and use a power sprayer on rinse cycle there?

Remember to rinse extremely well, disinfect it (@Macawnutz can you explain about F10) and then if it can sit in bright sunshine for a while, that's always good.

I'm sure you will get other ideas also.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Straight white vinegar. Do not dilute. Let it soak on tree for a few minutes to loosen stain then get a scrubber or something with a harsh surface, dip in vinegar and hot water, and scrub. I use this method on my GW tree. Nice looking tree btw and what a deal!

Last edited:

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I use a power washer outside on all things bird to clean.... bird stands, cages, perches, outside aviary, Manzanita trees.... that pretty much blasts everything off pretty fast.

Indoors I use POOP-OFF and to disinfect I use F10.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Straight white vinegar. Do not dilute. Let it soak on tree for a few minutes to loosen stain then get a scrubber or something with a harsh surface, dip in vinegar and hot water, and scrub. I use this method on my GW tree. Nice looking tree btw and what a deal!
Great reminder! I love vinegar......

For antique dishes I use baking soda with a little bit of vinegar. It pulls off stains without damaging my platter or plate. I don't know if baking soda is safe to use around parrots though

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Great reminder! I love vinegar......

For antique dishes I use baking soda with a little bit of vinegar. It pulls off stains without damaging my platter or plate. I don't know if baking soda is safe to use around parrots though
Sometimes simple household products hold the key! I wouldnt use baking soda within reach of our parrots but here is another hint. I use to work in the dental field. You take baking soda, place it on your finger and scrub a tooth at a time with it for a few minutes ea tooth (absolutely do not swallow or let touch your tongue) it will lighten your teeth just a bit :)

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Great looking Stand!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can always resort to some sandpaper and sand the spots away.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
This is poop, F10 is made for diseases, whereas vinegar is not nearly as powerful. Anything coming from somewhere other birds are, ALWAYS use F10 to disinfect.

First use the power washer then the F10 at a really strong dilution. If it does not come off, sand paper or even a power hand sander, but get it off.

I tend to shy away from car washes. You have a lot gookies in that recycled water. Sure, it is filtered - to an extent - but not anything that I would trust around our babies, especially with something that is porous like the wood.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I tend to shy away from car washes. You have a lot gookies in that recycled water. Sure, it is filtered - to an extent - but not anything that I would trust around our babies, especially with something that is porous like the wood.
Had no clue that water was recycled!

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
What brand of steamer do you have? Ive been looking into them myself
Steamers end up putting those poop particles in the air so every one is breathing that !@#$

I know people use them and it may work great, but do you or the birds want to be breathing that?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Steamers end up putting those poop particles in the air so every one is breathing that !@#$

I know people use them and it may work great, but do you or the birds want to be breathing that?
I didnt even think of that.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Renee, she just bought a walk in avairy. Not something you can take outside and powerwash.

What brand of steamer do you have? Ive been looking into them myself

I love my steamer! It gets out stains I could never get with scrubbing, especially on my java trees. No you don't go in and start shooting poop everywhere ;) I wipe everything down and use my steamer to get the hard to scrub areas. With your walkin, the feeder door has a few of these areas. This is what I have Wagner 915 On-Demand Power Steamer-0282014 - The Home Depot

For the manzanita tree I would disnfect with F10 and to get any stains I would use a steamer, power washer, or even sandpaper if necessary.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski

Renee, she just bought a walk in avairy. Not something you can take outside and powerwash.

I love my steamer! It gets out stains I could never get with scrubbing, especially on my java trees. No you don't go in and start shooting poop everywhere ;) I wipe everything down and use my steamer to get the hard to scrub areas. With your walkin, the feeder door has a few of these areas. This is what I have Wagner 915 On-Demand Power Steamer-0282014 - The Home Depot

For the manzanita tree I would disnfect with F10 and to get any stains I would use a steamer, power washer, or even sandpaper if necessary.
Im so excited for my walk-in!!!! Eeeeeeee! I cant wait till it gets here. I will buy Wagner 915. Macawnutz Im so glad your around to help me out

Last edited:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Just saying so people are aware of the risks and not even being aware that it is being carried in the air like that.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
You wipe off the poop, f10 it then steam the area. Nothing bad is being shot into the air.

Now, if you take a steamer and just put it on poop, that is shooting it into the air but who would do that??

As long as proper steps are taken it is a great thing plus the heat from the steam will kill any of the remaining germs left over that the f10 didnt get. That would really work well for my Charlie

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can sandpaper areas that are stained and then wipe off the residue. Wear a mask and gloves & do it outside. Steam cleaning is good, too, and if you are worried about particles then do this away from the birds and wear a mask and gloves.