• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to choose a breeder?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Now, I know I've already asked about whether or not I should get a breeder or rescue, but I'm almost leaning towards getting from a breeder, so I have a few questions, but let me first explain why.

I looked into the rescues and they don't usually have the bird i want, and they are super particular of who they choose. They don't want to give up their birds cause their already cared for really well. So basically it would be a big document, a large price, and I'm not sure guys. I kind of want a young baby, I know you can get them from rescues, but what I'm saying is they probably won't let me get any of their birds, and they already have great owners. So, I will still look into it further, but for now, I would like to hear about breeders first, and what you guys suggest.

So how do you choose a breeder? (sorry I'm such a noob to this!) Should i look for one that offers a good price or good care? What else should I know?

Thank you!

Also what about birds from kijiji, like birds people don't want anymore? I looked and there is quite a few that are about 2-4 years old, you know family is moving, can't care for anymore, etc.? But then it's not a baby, and I think i want a baby.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Although this isn't what you're asking- maybe you should look at some other rescues. I will definitely say, the rescue I help with doesn't want to keep the birds! We love them but want to see them go to good homes. That way we can take in more birds that need help. And yes, a rescue wants a bird to go to a good home and does have adoption requirements but usually there's a reason that they don't want a bird to go to a particular home. For instance, if they know a bird prefers men, they're not going to adopt that bird to a female. And a good rescue will help you find a bird that's good fit for you. So really, for a new bird owner, a rescue is often a great arrangement because they can help you find the right bird and give you support and guidance with the bird. (And I'm surprised a rescue wants a lot of money for a bird.)

Now, that I'm off my rescue speech, you want a breeder that gives good care. That's the most important part. You want a healthy bird. I think for breeders you just need to read reviews and ask around. And I would want to visit the breeder before putting down a deposit, etc.

And there are always bird listed on-line sites. You just have to be careful. Some are legit. Some are scammers. But there are some great birds in need of good homes listed there too. (There are also birds that have serious health issues, neglected, etc.) So you just have to be careful and know how much you're willing to take on.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
(And I'm surprised a rescue wants a lot of money for a bird.)
Yes, a whole lot of money lol I replied to one rescue and inquired about why the price was so high, and then, well they, were a little offended and explained that they need the money for food, vet care, employees, and they deserve money from all the hard training, and rehabilitation. So well, i guess it's not my thing, atleast for that particular rescue.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, a whole lot of money lol I replied to one rescue and inquired about why the price was so high, and then, well they, were a little offended and explained that they need the money for food, vet care, employees, and they deserve money from all the hard training, and rehabilitation. So well, i guess it's not my thing, atleast for that particular rescue.
Typically, birds from rescue are much less than from a breeder. However, sometimes they also look to recoup vet costs so if a bird had medical issues that can sometimes make the price higher.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Typically, birds from rescue are much less than from a breeder. However, sometimes they also look to recoup vet costs so if a bird had medical issues that can sometimes make the price higher.
Oh I see. I was looking at GCCs from this particular rescue, they all were somewhere from $400-600 which is a lot compare to what the breeders charge in my area, it's not extremely outrageous but I would rather get a baby than a older bird for double the price imo.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I see. I was looking at GCCs from this particular rescue, they all were somewhere from $400-600 which is a lot compare to what the breeders charge in my area, it's not extremely outrageous but I would rather get a baby than a older bird for double the price imo.
Which rescue were you looking at? And where in Canada were you inquiring about? To my knowledge, there are not a lot in Ontario.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Which rescue were you looking at? And where in Canada were you inquiring about? To my knowledge, there are not a lot in Ontario.
I was looking at "The Parrot Sanctuary Canada". If you look at the adoption application, it says the amounts. I'm looking for one anywhere in Ontario (preferably close to Niagara falls area, but farthest is maybe 3-4 hours away, unless they ship)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They lump "conures" with pionus and quakers, so they probably mean the larger aratingas like nandays and the such. Which would explain the price tag ($300-$600). And the adoption fees include veterinary testing, which runs over $300.

Anyway, I've never adopted from a rescue before. I usually use Kijiji and find birds in need of homes there. You can usually find young birds there (many birds are relinquished within a few months of purchase, unfortunately).

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They lump "conures" with pionus and quakers, so they probably mean the larger aratingas like nandays and the such. Which would explain the price tag ($300-$600). And the adoption fees include veterinary testing, which runs over $300.
Okay, that's fine then. I would have to pay vet care anyway, so that's fine.

Mimi75

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhegan
Personally I want a breeder who asks a potential buyer lots Questions. They care about their birds. If they care care about their future wellbeing they will probably put care into them as babies.

I also want a breeder who will answer a lot of questions. Again, they want their ‘babies’ to go to well informed homes. Also it can show if they are enthusiastic and passionate. They do their best to keep well informed. Even if all their answers aren’t my ideal, enthusiasm and caring go a long way. I love opinionated breeders even if differing opinions make more sense to me.

You can find a ‘bargain’ bird on Kijiji. Often you will notice the age the advertised bird is is also puberty for that species. The owner doesn’t know how to deal with the changes or can’t be bothered to find out. My favourites are the people too indifferent to work with their bird and during a difficult transition but want to get back every penny they ever spent but someone else can deal with the behaviour issues.

Speaking of dollars both GOOD breeders and GOOD rescues work hard and deserve to be paid. The Kijiji guy who’s 4 year old cage-bound CAG isn’t living up to YouTube expectations and wants $3000 not so much.

Also on Kijiji are breeders who tell you their babies are cute and super friendly.
And that’s all they say. They don’t give a balanced view of bird ownership or the species challenges. (Well duh of course they are cute, they are babies!) They are also the same ones who have tonnes of listings (multiple listings for the same birds for different regions is ok). Ask yourself how can they have so many and still look after each one. Are the babies being socializied? Probably not. Do they have a large staff? Not likely Its probably a birdie mill. Interestingly it’s usually the birdie mills charging top dollar.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I would say pick a breeder than abundance weans their birds and asks you a lot of questions about the care that you can provide. Also if they sell unweaned baby birds then do not buy from them. Also, something that I have noticed that is almost foolproof in finding a good breeder is how they take care of the parents. If the parents are in bad shape/only dowel perches/small cages/seed mix as their diet/no toys/no vet care then do not buy a bird from them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry- I should have looked to see that you're in Canada. I don't know about pricing there. At our local rescue, the adoption fee is about $100 for a conure.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would say pick a breeder than abundance weans their birds and asks you a lot of questions about the care that you can provide. Also if they sell unweaned baby birds then do not buy from them. Also, something that I have noticed that is almost foolproof in finding a good breeder is how they take care of the parents. If the parents are in bad shape/only dowel perches/small cages/seed mix as their diet/no toys/no vet care then do not buy a bird from them.
Very good points.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always ask breeders what kind of personal pets they have. If they breed birds but don’t have any as pets then don’t buy from them.

puz

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I am from Whitby on. I adopted 2 yellow sidedconures from a breeder in Guelph on. $190.00 each including a small cage.