• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to check for mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I rescued a baby crow that I am rearing until it is old enough to release (it fell out of its nest in the middle of my parking lot & can not yet fly). I am keeping him well away from my parrots & outdoors in my screened-in porch.

How can I check to make sure he does not have mites. I don't want mites any where near my house. Is there anything I can use to put on him that would kill any possible mites? I am a germ/insect-ophobe! LOL Just want to take all precautionary measures!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
THANK YOU BF :hug8: There were SO many articles when I Googled it, I didn't know what to trust in or not. Also, I will definitely try Diatomaceous earth! I use that in my gardens for slugs & snails :cool:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ooh..I wish I could have him.:heart: Good luck with him.:hug8:

kudfu

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Stevie
When I was a kid, my dad rescued a Crow (Who I promptly named Crowy) and he ended up living with us until he passed on. He was free to fly wherever he wanted outdoors, and came inside as well, usually sleeping inside. We also used Diatomaceous earth, to keep him mite free, I believe. (I was rather young at the time, but that does sound like what we used!) He never showed any signs of mites and we certainly never had a problem with it. :) Hope it helps your rescue baby!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I thought mites were pretty species specific.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
OMG CAROLE :laughing12: Your little fiddies icons in your siggie are PRECIOUS!!!

I ordered a couple of items. One for killing mites & bird lice on the bird & in the enclosure. Here it is: AVIAN INSECT LIQUIDATOR (A.I.L) - Vetafarm Pty Ltd

Also I got a wormer just in case its parents transferred any type of worm to it during its neo-nate feedings: WORMOUT GEL - Vetafarm Pty Ltd

This Vetafarm company seems to be a wonderful organization! :dance5:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Missi, that's Cydney's magic:)
Where are the pics of this dream baby? {I always wanted one, though I know it's illegal...:o:}

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Many times a bird can be loaded with feather mites and lice, and since they are so small a person would be unaware there is a problem.

Click on pix for a full sized veiw.

If there are any on the bird a light dusting of the wings and tail with Seven 5% dust will help.

Attachments

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Missi we want pictures. Also go to either Nature or Discovery. I think it's nature and they have an amazing documentary about crows that you can download. Including a crow "funeral", crows using tools, crows making tools and crows talking- great video

Status
Not open for further replies.