• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How To Bond With Kakariki?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I don't have a clicker ; is target training still possible?
I think you really need a clicker, or something that makes a sound they can associate with "correct." maybe even a clicking pen

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You can try. You probably want to start with other things that @Lincee was suggesting first, just to establish some trust first. I didn't start targeting for awhile although I have heard of people targeting within the cage. All they have to do is learn that touch the tip of the target equals a click which equals a treat. You'll just have to start somewhere and ser how it goes. Definitely take cues from your bird on how he's feeling and if he's wanting to train. You can do small things daily and really a few minutes at a time is plenty.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Because there’s not a great bond yet :) once youve bonded correctly with your bird, training is fun :) and your bird will want to spend time with you, thus enjoy the training :)

That said, some birds like training more then others.. my Senegals never had any training, still we enjoy eachother very much!

Training is not just about teaching tricks. It also gives your bird problems to crack his little brains on. It keeps the boredom away :)

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
Because there’s not a great bond yet :) once youve bonded correctly with your bird, training is fun :) and your bird will want to spend time with you, thus enjoy the training :)

That said, some birds like training more then others.. my Senegals never had any training, still we enjoy eachother very much!

Training is not just about teaching tricks. It also gives your bird problems to crack his little brains on. It keeps the boredom away :)
So eventually, he'll come to me and want to start training?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
If you do things right, yes :) most parrots like a good problem to solve. But it does require trust, and thats something you should work on first :)

It gives you time to buy a clicker, and do some research on bird training :)

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
If you do things right, yes :) most parrots like a good problem to solve. But it does require trust, and thats something you should work on first :)

It gives you time to buy a clicker, and do some research on bird training :)
NVM, I found my clicker!!! So should I do target training with it? Or if not how long should I bond with him or what are signs he's comfortable enough?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
the how long we cant answer, that depends on the bird. You will have to learn the birds routine when hes relaxed. Thats the behavior you want when hes arround you. Practice the stepping on the perch first. Then the stepping on the hand. It will build trust :)

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
the how long we cant answer, that depends on the bird. You will have to learn the birds routine when hes relaxed. Thats the behavior you want when hes arround you. Practice the stepping on the perch first. Then the stepping on the hand. It will build trust :)
Also, Im playing some videos that just repeat the word Hello and Good morning. Is there a chance he'll repeat? Im not really bothered if he does or not but Im wondering if it's pointless, lol.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
If you repeat it over and over... no. The bird will loose interest in it :)
Besides, its nit as fun as practicing with you ;)

Some birds learn words by spending five minutes a day repeating, some birds just pick it up, and some never will :)

My grey speaks a few words and sometimes i swear shes understanding what shes saying. Whereas my Amazon is so traumatized i highly doubt she will ever pick up words. But hats okay, i love her none the less :)

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
If you repeat it over and over... no. The bird will loose interest in it :)
Besides, its nit as fun as practicing with you ;)

Some birds learn words by spending five minutes a day repeating, some birds just pick it up, and some never will :)

My grey speaks a few words and sometimes i swear shes understanding what shes saying. Whereas my Amazon is so traumatized i highly doubt she will ever pick up words. But hats okay, i love her none the less :)
Im giving him some millet and when he takes it, I click. Is this effective?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
she shows how to clicker condition. My lovebird was not food motivated at first, so she didn't want to do any of this, but eventually she started to enjoy it, probably because she had bonded with me and likes interacting with me.