• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How To Bond With Kakariki?

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
So, I've had a buttercup kakariki for a while now. He's a bit over a year and I got him when he was around 9-11 months. One thing I realise I've been doing wrong is chasing him around with my hand. For example, when he's at the bottom of his cage and I want him to go into his cage, I'll chase him a bit with my hand so he gets out of there and into his cage. This works (most of the time), however I used to chase him a bit with my hand (For example, he'd fly from one corner of the room to the other corner and I'd try to follow him to get him into his cage.) The worst time was when we did this until almost 11pm when we finally gave up and he went in. He still can't do step up or more like, he doesn't want to do any training. He'll give up and just sit there or if by a chance he does step up, it's for a second to 4 seconds, never mind the fact that he absolutely refuses to do anything outside the cage. I can give him seed from my hand and he will contact call me if I leave the room. What can I do to improve our relationship, if I can at this point?
Btw, his name is cheese if you don't wanna type out kakariki every time.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well first off, you have to start all over again :) forget what you did, its good that you came here asking for guidance! I’ll applaud you for that :)

For the next while i would simply leave the bird be. Open the cage when you can, and let the bird come out of its own! You have to give Cheese time to learn that you are trustworthy.. unfortunatly up untill now you have not given her any reason to trust you (from the birds point of view) but do not worry, they are resilient little beeings and you can still form that bond :)

Hang out with Cheese still in his cage, read out loud, dance, sing, have fun :) it is important Cheese learns that his cage is a safe haven. I really wouldnt stick my hand in the cage unless its needed for cleaning or anything. But certainly not to grab the bird.. this will in the future be the birds “safe place” where he can go to if he feels unsecure.

Then in time, when Cheese comes out, you can slowly start learning the step up thing. But right now i would suggest to leave Cheese be for a while, start training inside the cage, and let the bird come out of his own :)

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
Well first off, you have to start all over again :) forget what you did, its good that you came here asking for guidance! I’ll applaud you for that :)

For the next while i would simply leave the bird be. Open the cage when you can, and let the bird come out of its own! You have to give Cheese time to learn that you are trustworthy.. unfortunatly up untill now you have not given her any reason to trust you (from the birds point of view) but do not worry, they are resilient little beeings and you can still form that bond :)

Hang out with Cheese still in his cage, read out loud, dance, sing, have fun :) it is important Cheese learns that his cage is a safe haven. I really wouldnt stick my hand in the cage unless its needed for cleaning or anything. But certainly not to grab the bird.. this will in the future be the birds “safe place” where he can go to if he feels unsecure.

Then in time, when Cheese comes out, you can slowly start learning the step up thing. But right now i would suggest to leave Cheese be for a while, start training inside the cage, and let the bird come out of his own :)
Alright. He trusts me enough to receive treats in and out of the cage though, directly by hand. I've never grabbed him. Since I do sit right next to him as his cage is next to my table, is it okay if I sometimes just give him seed casually or play music on speakers?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Its good you never grabbed him :) still, i would imagine he doesn't not like to step up because the hand equals force. Ofcourse you can play music and give him threats :) thats the general idea! The fact that hes next to your table is even better! That way you spend a lot of time together :) some people have birds rooms, thats why i suggested to go sit next to him!

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
Its good you never grabbed him :) still, i would imagine he doesn't not like to step up because the hand equals force. Ofcourse you can play music and give him threats :) thats the general idea! The fact that hes next to your table is even better! That way you spend a lot of time together :) some people have birds rooms, thats why i suggested to go sit next to him!
Alright thanks.

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
Should I approach step up with my hand or a perch?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thats the thing with these smart birds.. we have to do things on their terms :)
Its why i almost rehomed one of my parrots. She was so traumatized... we’re three years down the road and she still doesnt like hands :( but we’re getting there ;)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Perch first :) once she does that 100% of the time, you can start with the hand ;-)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Can you attach the perch to the cage? So Cheese can get used to it?
Even better would bo to attach it to the inside of the cage door, then she can sit on it inside and outside the cage :)

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
Can you attach the perch to the cage? So Cheese can get used to it?
Even better would bo to attach it to the inside of the cage door, then she can sit on it inside and outside the cage :)
err no not really. I took it out from a travel cage so it has nothing to connect to.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Then just keep it in sight, on the table :) let Cheese see the perch and learn that is nothing to be afraid of :)

Remember, parrots and the likes have only been recently in our houses. They are still wild animals at heart. Everything thats not in a forrest is scary :)

They are nothing like dogs and cats that have been domesticated for thousands of years

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
Then just keep it in sight, on the table :) let Cheese see the perch and learn that is nothing to be afraid of :)

Remember, parrots and the likes have only been recently in our houses. They are still wild animals at heart. Everything thats not in a forrest is scary :)

They are nothing like dogs and cats that have been domesticated for thousands of years
I also have a ladder which I can put on the inside of the cage. Should I use that?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Sure, any tools and toys! Just not over-crowd the cage :) your bird need toys to play with, but also enough room to flap wings :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You can also try target training. They learn how to target in literally a few minutes. My lovebird was doing great with step up mostly, but would bite often. So I started doing target training. If she'd bite no click, no treat, and i would turn my back to her for a few seconds. It's worked great.

I think also working on getting Cheese to not associate your hands with negative is something to work on too. My linnies are still terrified of my hands, but they've gotten much better. I will put my hand on their cage, slowly, and only close enough that they are showing slight discomfort. And then I give them a treat in their bowl. Over time the distance can close. My lovebird will now allow me to wrap my hand entirely around her and she is as feisty as they come! She took a very slow, persistent three months to ever sit on my hand. And when she did, it was to eat a treat, positive reinforcement.

I definitely think you can repair your relationship, but it may take what feels like forever.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The way I read it you've only had Cheese for a few months and he's still young. Anything that you've done wrong up until now can easily be forgotten.
@Lincee is giving great advice. All I can say is go slowly and be patient. Never let Cheese see that you're getting stressed. You have all the time in the world to make friends with him so set a routine with him and stick to it as best you can.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird seems to be fueled by my frustration, so I learned early to not show it!

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
You can also try target training. They learn how to target in literally a few minutes. My lovebird was doing great with step up mostly, but would bite often. So I started doing target training. If she'd bite no click, no treat, and i would turn my back to her for a few seconds. It's worked great.

I think also working on getting Cheese to not associate your hands with negative is something to work on too. My linnies are still terrified of my hands, but they've gotten much better. I will put my hand on their cage, slowly, and only close enough that they are showing slight discomfort. And then I give them a treat in their bowl. Over time the distance can close. My lovebird will now allow me to wrap my hand entirely around her and she is as feisty as they come! She took a very slow, persistent three months to ever sit on my hand. And when she did, it was to eat a treat, positive reinforcement.

I definitely think you can repair your relationship, but it may take what feels like forever.
I don't have a clicker ; is target training still possible?