• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to bird proof open windows?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Last summer I only opened the windows (with screens ofcourse) in Blu's room when I was there with him to supervise. I used the AC almost constantly if it was hot.

This summer I was hoping to get a little more fresh air but I'm paranoid that he may be able to chew the screen and make a hole and escape.

I am brain storming ideas to make the windows bird proof. So far, the only thing I can think to do is buy some stainless steel mesh and attach it to the window pane somehow. But not even sure how I'll do that yet.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This might sound silly, but if you had some light- colored sheets you could pin them over the whole window. You couldn't see through those windows, but you'd still get light through them. And fabric isn't chew-proof, but it might deter him from landing on those windows to chew the screen in the first place or buy you some time first if he's determined.

Or pin the mesh the same way. Nothing a little spackle couldn't fix.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
This might sound silly, but if you had some light- colored sheets you could pin them over the whole window. You couldn't see through those windows, but you'd still get light through them. And fabric isn't chew-proof, but it might deter him from landing on those windows to chew the screen in the first place or buy you some time first if he's determined.

Or pin the mesh the same way. Nothing a little spackle couldn't fix.
Thank you, Karen! It's a good thought. Unfortunately, Blu is very comfortable landing on sheets (we have them all over already actually due to his chewing shenanigans, lol) I have a feeling that might bring more attention to the windows. That's the reason I don't use curtains even though I would actually like some.
I appreciate the thought though, thank you!!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Then the mesh sounds like your best bet.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Yes, I did sheer curtains over mine, but imstead of letting them just hang loose I secured them at the sides and bottom so they’d be tight against the windlw.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Cut mesh to fit over, then maybe strong magnets?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Good ideas that I will keep in mind, thanks everyone! I was just Googling and it looks like it's possible to buy ss windows screens, actually! It won't be cheap but that would probably be the easiest option. I wonder if my screens are already ss? Is there any way to test them?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you! It's a little tricky cause I have the kind of windows that open up all the way sideways so I need to figure out a way that I can put mesh on but still have access to the lever.

View attachment 272709
I have the same sort of window:
image.jpg
I also wat to bird proof them so I can open it, I wanted to do it a while back but as it was winter I let it slip. My dad is a builder and he says he can make something to fix it, not really sure what his idea was but I Will ask him to draw it out next time I am there and perhaps it would be of help to you

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have the same sort of window:
View attachment 272710
I also wat to bird proof them so I can open it, I wanted to do it a while back but as it was winter I let it slip. My dad is a builder and he says he can make something to fix it, not really sure what his idea was but I Will ask him to draw it out next time I am there and perhaps it would be of help to you
If it's not too much of a bother, yes, I'd love to hear what he thinks! Thank you!!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I wonder if my screens are already ss? Is there any way to test them?
I'd like to know this myself. Luv Bug loves unscrewing hardware so she has her own ss bolts and nuts, and sometimes I wonder if the ones I find on the floor are hers or something else she has unscrewed & I don't want to pu any zinc ones back in her toy bowls. :(

And if they do belong to something else it would be good for me to thoroughly check the undersides of our furniture! :eek:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'd like to know this myself. Luv Bug loves unscrewing hardware so she has her own ss bolts and nuts, and sometimes I wonder if the ones I find on the floor are hers or something else she has unscrewed & I don't want to pu any zinc ones back in her toy bowls. :(

And if they do belong to something else it would be good for me to thoroughly check the undersides of our furniture! :eek:
I would get a magic marker (like a red one or something) and put a quick dot on the ones from the furniture, so that if she does mess with them, you know not to give them back to her.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I had screens made from 1” x 2” ss welded wire and attached outside the window frame, beyond the regular screen. We took them down because it’s a fire hazard getting trapped in.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I had screens made from 1” x 2” ss welded wire and attached outside the window frame, beyond the regular screen. We took them down because it’s a fire hazard getting trapped in.
Darn, that would have been a good idea if it wasn't a fire hazard.

Right now I'm looking into getting ss screens made into the screen frames I have now. It looks like it will cost around $100 a window.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Darn, that would have been a good idea if it wasn't a fire hazard.
Right now I'm looking into getting ss screens made into the screen frames I have now. It looks like it will cost around $100 a window.
Just do 2 or 3 on opposite ends of the house for some air flow. :thinking:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Just do 2 or 3 on opposite ends of the house for some air flow. :thinking:
That's a good idea but since Blu has his own room and only has 2 windows, one on the south side and one on the west side, I don't want to take a chance on it being a fire hazard. Fires scare me more than anything.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Stainless mesh with vinyl u channel to cover the sharp edges. I need it more for window bonkers.

Excuse the messy window...it’s one that will be removed for the sliding door...
51890C96-7EF9-4581-A219-1002149F9595.jpeg D081EC7E-FDB6-4E31-B521-06C2DE8396FD.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can buy Muriatic acid from your local hardware store in the paint section. It reacts to zinc and will bubble, but does not bubble when there is none present. It's nasty stuff though so you have to be careful :p

Testing for Zinc in Parrot Toys