• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to befriend a cat? grafic

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Cat in my opinion is not well cared for if left outside to wonder. Too many bad things can happen.
Personally, if I had a cat I wouldn't let them wander, it seems indoor cats have a much longer life. I have a friend who has a cat, the cat's name is Cilla (short for Purrcilla) and she's at least 22 now I think? I seem to remember my friend saying her parents got Cilla from a shelter, so they aren't sure. And she's an indoor cat. And my friend is only like 19, so her cat is older than she is. Plus I feel like the point of having a cat is having a buddy to live with? I've seen some really cool outdoor cat enclosures though, if you run a google search you'll come up with some cool stuff. I feel like that or leash and harness would be the way to go to let your cat experience the outdoors.

Kept an eye out for Liam today, didn't see him. I usually only see him every couple weeks, although I don't go outside much.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I saw Liam today when I was checking for mail, he was just hanging out by his house. Snapped a few photos of him.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The people across the street have a cat who they let wander. I would very much like to befriend him.

It's clear he's well-cared for, he's always clean and well-fed, and I often see him greeting his people and going into his house when his humans come home. They also leave the garage door open a bit for him, so he can go in and out. He is not feral or stray. Just an indoor/outdoor cat.

He is friendly, I've seen the neighbors petting him, and yesterday I called him over with kissy noises and he got really close (maybe two inches) until Roxie spooked him. He was rubbing his head on the branches on the fence while being so close to me, so it's clear he's comfortable with people.

He is so cute. He also hangs out in our driveway sometimes, and he watches for mice to come out of our garage. I don't know if he's a good mouser or not, although once he left a half-eaten mouse in our driveway and came back for the rest later. If he is a mouser that's good for us (big mouse issue in the garage.)

I would really like to befriend him. So how would I go about this? How do I gain his trust? He seems pretty cool with people.

His name is Liam, by the way.

Ahhh I have to tell ya all this....last summer had neighbors cat come into yard, next thing you know , this deer , a doe, came into yard...the cat watched the deer and deer walked up to cat. They touched noses....got a pic of it! When I find where I stored it on which computer file, I'll post it!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today we stopped by the shelter, we had some puppy food to drop off. We checked out the dogs, lots of cuties. Then we went to the cat room. Right now there's 4 cats in there, I think they rotate them in from the kennels.

It was lovely! Lots of toys, fun places to sit, a prime spot to look out the window, they even had a fish tank (no fish)! None of them really hung out, I crouched down and one came over in front of me. He sniffed my hand and he let me pet his back, then he walked away. One of them sat underneath my dad (bench mounted to the wall), I think he was hiding from one of the other cats.

They're starting to get kittens. I know before long they'll be bursting at the seams with kittens, since people don't fix their cats.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Spotted Liam again today, coming out of my neighbor's yard (he likes to hang out there). He walked across the street and into his backyard. What a good boy.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Spotted Liam a few minutes ago, we had our door open with the screen door closed. Liam walked across the street from his house, up our sidewalk, to our front stair and under the ramp we have up for Roxie. I think he's in the neighbor's yard right now, he likes to hang out there.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
SUCCESS- CONTACT ESTABLISHED!

He came up to me! Yay!!!! He let me pet him, he would get comfy if I was petting him but if I stopped he would start moving around again. What a sweet boy, he's just a big lovebug. He's inside for the night now, he sprinted across the street when his people came home.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I got to see him again today, we were coming home from the vet with Roxie. I saw him in the driveway next door, which is where he likes to hang out. As soon as we pulled into our driveway he came running over to in front of our car. I got out and crouched down, he let me pet him a whole bunch and he started wiggling on his back like a happy boy.

He shed all over my shorts, lol. We hung out for a couple minutes before I said bye-bye and he went back across the street to his house. What a good boy :)

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Aww!! Very cute!! Congrats on making contact!! :D he’s one cute cat!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
My mother had a cat and that cat hated me and I never did anything to it. The cat was 5 when I moved in and my mother had an occasional boyfriend. I guess you could say it was an only pet. It was definitely a mama's cat.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm definitely a crazy cat lady bird lady hybrid. I'll go to visit people who have a cat and the cat never sits on their lap but is all over me hahaha I'm a magnet. Since you've made contact, and ESPECIALLY because he showed you his belly, you're definitely buds now!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
my cat sits on the roof and waits for the doves to kill

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Why was this thread marked as graphic? I didn't post anything inappropriate... Unless a cat belly is too obscene?

Reactions: ELS

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
Why was this thread marked as graphic? I didn't post anything inappropriate... Unless a cat belly is too obscene?
That's weird... it's not even spelled correctly. I'd say maybe someone had a tantrum over Cynthia's comment but this forum hasn't appeared to be actively moderated in quite some time, and even if it was moderators should be more mature than that. Odd. :confused:

I was just going to comment that Liam is so so cute! He seems like a very well-behaved kitty. It's nice when they can have outside time like that, since they really do love it a lot. My previous house had a half-acre backyard with an eight-foot privacy fence. When my cat was young I trained her to stay in the yard and she became pretty reliable about it. I didn't let her stay out there when I was gone, but it was nice for her to be able to hang out for a few hours when I was home.

my cat sits on the roof and waits for the doves to kill
Shhhhhh don't say that! Members might show up at your door with bats and brass knuckles! :eek:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
they were dimmond doves pets to others it was a warning of the power of killing pets I am sorry for the mispelling

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
I don't think this cat killed anyone's pet diamond doves. @taxidermynerd is just posting pictures of him and her attempts to make friends with him. Unless you mean that you edited the title of her thread because of a comment you made in it? You could probably just delete your comment if you think it would upset someone...

Sorry for derailing your thread, @taxidermynerd. I'm just confused. :blink:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am sorry