• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to befriend a cat? grafic

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The people across the street have a cat who they let wander. I would very much like to befriend him.

It's clear he's well-cared for, he's always clean and well-fed, and I often see him greeting his people and going into his house when his humans come home. They also leave the garage door open a bit for him, so he can go in and out. He is not feral or stray. Just an indoor/outdoor cat.

He is friendly, I've seen the neighbors petting him, and yesterday I called him over with kissy noises and he got really close (maybe two inches) until Roxie spooked him. He was rubbing his head on the branches on the fence while being so close to me, so it's clear he's comfortable with people.

He is so cute. He also hangs out in our driveway sometimes, and he watches for mice to come out of our garage. I don't know if he's a good mouser or not, although once he left a half-eaten mouse in our driveway and came back for the rest later. If he is a mouser that's good for us (big mouse issue in the garage.)

I would really like to befriend him. So how would I go about this? How do I gain his trust? He seems pretty cool with people.

His name is Liam, by the way.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe you could post in the cat bit of the site so it gets the attention of some catty folk? :)

The Cat Tree | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

What if you offer him some tuna or something? I don´t really know much about cats. My parents had 2 when I was younger but thats the extent.
But he sounds friendly enough, and I bet if Roxie hadn´t spooked him, he would have come over to you.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
It sounds like he's pretty friendly. Maybe try the same approach as you did but, if you can, leave Roxie inside? Most cats won't approach dogs. I'm sure if he sees you enough, Liam will warm right up to you.
From what I've heard, fish can be dangerous to give male cats, a good friend of mine lost his male cat due to a build up in his system from that. It's not a well advertised thing, and I only know of two sources (no cats, so I haven't really looked into it) but it makes me cautious.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Whoopsie, I thought I clicked the Cat Tree!! My brain is not on top of it today. Maybe a mod could move it? @Macawnutz @expressmailtome

I don't want to start feeding him because I don't want him to become dependant on me. But I've considered getting some catnip (the live plant kind) or something, I've heard cats go bonkers for the stuff.

He's so cute, and I love cats. I've heard they can tell if you don't like cats. Maybe he senses that in me, and decided I'm cool.

Maybe try the same approach as you did but, if you can, leave Roxie inside? Most cats won't approach dogs.
When I spotted him he was coming down the neighbor's driveway, I already had Roxie outside. I tried getting her in but once she spotted Liam it was like pulling teeth. She loves cats and would love to play with a cat, but the feeling is not reciprocated, lol.

When we first got Roxie he started coming around a lot more, I think he was checking out the new pup on the block. So I think he's interested, but also kind of afraid because she's very large.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Yeah, my mom's bloodhound/lab mix likes cats too and I'm sure Roxie is much bigger than she is. Some catnip or toys could work - there are ones that look like fishing rods that my mom's cat and my friend's cat absolutely love.
Cats are pretty awesome, I miss my boy and I enjoy visiting with my mom's cats. It's funny because my mom claimed that she didn't like cats but the three she has she does love. And they love her. They probably knew something she didn't.
Hopefully you can make friends with him! Do you have any pictures of the fella?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Be chill, don't force anything, don't have Roxie with you. It sounds like he's pretty friendly already so if you crouch down and extend a hand for him to sniff, he'll probably approach you.

Don't give him any food. You have no idea if he is on a diet, has allergies or sensitivities, is on medication etc. You'd be annoyed if some random person started feeding your pets, so don't feed other peoples'.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hopefully you can make friends with him! Do you have any pictures of the fella?
No, no presently. I'd like to though! He's very cute. Yesterday I spotted him sitting on top of his human's car, silly boy.

there are ones that look like fishing rods that my mom's cat and my friend's cat absolutely love.
Roxie is interested in those too, lol. Maybe I'll get a toy of some sort to play with him.

Don't give him any food. You have no idea if he is on a diet, has allergies or sensitivities, is on medication etc. You'd be annoyed if some random person started feeding your pets, so don't feed other peoples'.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned I don't want to feed him. Neighbors have tried to feed our dogs in the past and that's not chill (please don't throw your expired steaks in our yard, thank you) and I imagine other pet owners feel the same. I would only feel comfortable feeding him if I knew him and his people and knew what he could/couldn't have.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Just like when befriending a dog, make sure you extend a hand to sniff.

Some cats do better if you ignore them (stinkers) but this little guy seems like he is open to a friendly voice and a pet on the head. Yes, i agree with tka, don't give him any food for a few reasons: He could be on a special diet, extra food could lead to obesity, and as the old saying goes: "If you feed a cat, you've got a cat."

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For my cat, the best way for new people to approach her is to sit on the floor and do something that makes it seem like you are completely ignoring her :lol: The more you try, the more she resists. So maybe just sit outside with a book or a tablet and wait :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Some cats do better if you ignore them (stinkers) but this little guy seems like he is open to a friendly voice and a pet on the head.
This has been my experience with cats at places like Petsmart (where they work with rescues to adopt out cats), I'll go up to them and offer a finger, They sniff and usually start begging for rubs. They are just so sweet. Although once a cat started extending and retracting his claws at me after sniffing me, so I left him alone. Don't feel like getting scratched up, thank you very much!

I offered two of my fingers through the fence, and that was when he came over. My yard is fenced and gated, and I've never seen him climb a fence but he probably could if he wanted to. It would be nice if he came in my yard, I wouldn't mind a buddy to hang out with.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
This has been my experience with cats at places like Petsmart (where they work with rescues to adopt out cats), I'll go up to them and offer a finger, They sniff and usually start begging for rubs. They are just so sweet. Although once a cat started extending and retracting his claws at me after sniffing me, so I left him alone. Don't feel like getting scratched up, thank you very much!

I offered two of my fingers through the fence, and that was when he came over. My yard is fenced and gated, and I've never seen him climb a fence but he probably could if he wanted to. It would be nice if he came in my yard, I wouldn't mind a buddy to hang out with.

Sounds like you might want to add a feline to your family.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The way to a cat's heart is through a cat's stomach :D

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Sounds like you might want to add a feline to your family.

Unfortunately not. My father despises cats and says most of them should be shot. And since I'm under his roof, what he says goes. Maybe one day. The shelter here receives a massive influx of kittens twice a year, the spring and the fall. If I were to get one, it would be from there. PLus they have a large colony there, it's just a big room where the cats hang out and you can visit with them. I have some stuff to drop off there anyway, so maybe I'll visit next time.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think it's very sweet that you want to befriend the cat but I think I remember you and your dad feed the birds and squirrels in your yard. Please keep in mind that once the cat feels comfortable in your yard you'll have to take extra measures to keep the birdies safe.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Unfortunately not. My father despises cats and says most of them should be shot. And since I'm under his roof, what he says goes. Maybe one day. The shelter here receives a massive influx of kittens twice a year, the spring and the fall. If I were to get one, it would be from there. PLus they have a large colony there, it's just a big room where the cats hang out and you can visit with them. I have some stuff to drop off there anyway, so maybe I'll visit next time.

I don't know why some people feel that way about cats, to me that feeling of contempt for something that is so sweet and loving is so very foreign. Maybe you shouldn't coax the other kitty cat over given how your father feels about them.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I think it's very sweet that you want to befriend the cat but I think I remember you and your dad feed the birds and squirrels in your yard. Please keep in mind that once the cat feels comfortable in your yard you'll have to take extra measures to keep the birdies safe.

Yes, by all means, lets not forget that. :faint:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We have the poles up, but we haven't been feeding since the mice got into our seed supply in the garage. Dad doesn't want to get airtight bins (he just keeps putting it off) and I don't want to feed contaminated seed. No one really comes in our yard except the dog. They have feeders next door, Liam doesn't really show interest other than rolling around in the dropped debris (he did that yesterday, he was so cute.). The birds are never around when he is, and vice versa.

I don't know why some people feel that way about cats, to me that feeling of contempt for something that is so sweet and loving is so very foreign. Maybe you shouldn't coax the other kitty cat over given how your father feels about them.
He's fine with outside cats, but every time I bring up the possibility of getting a cat (I would really like to) he becomes very displeased about it. I think he just needs to see they aren't that bad. He got scratched by a cat when he was in like his 20s and has hated them ever since. I think he's maybe coming around though, he's not making as many negative comments and he likes looking at the Petsmart Cats with me.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
When I come across cats on my walks I try engaging them by offering to play with them. Grab something close by like a twig/stick, or long piece of grass and see if you can't engage him that way.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
When I come across cats on my walks I try engaging them by offering to play with them. Grab something close by like a twig/stick, or long piece of grass and see if you can't engage him that way.
Ohh, I never even thought of that! Roxie breaks all the sticks she finds but maybe I can hide some away before she finds them. Thanks!