• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to bath birds in winter?

Birdie Onions

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tarryn
Hi,
I wanted to find out how to bath birds in winter.
In South Africa we don't have snow, but it can get wet and very cold especially in Cape Town.
I have reluctantly bathed mine on warmer days during winter, but these warm days are far and few between and the weather can change.
I asked my Vet and he said to blow dry, but I'm not fond of this as it does stress some of them.
We don't have central heating here as it's doesn't get to freezing.
So I wanted to ask how some of you do it, if you do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You didn't say if this was inside or outside.

Inside there is no difference. If it's a little cool when you do it, get yourself a small space heater to warm the area around the birds up. Pretty simple.

Birdie Onions

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tarryn
Thank you for that, I still feel a bit lost though.

Probably inside, depends on the weather.

And do you put them in the shower, or spritz them?
How wet should you make them?
I'm scared they get cold, and catch cold.
Pretend I've never done this and you giving instructions to "how to for dummies"
Sorry in advance ....I'm an analyst by nature!

doodoowmdeez

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James Lafontaine
2 of my 4 birds will actually go in the shower, with or without people. 3 of them like to be sprayed from a spray bottle and 2 will bathe themselves either in their bowl or a bath setup. Whatever you find they will sit through the best to get the bath done. One of mine will even occasionally dunk themselves in one of those little indoor water fountain decorations if it's running.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can use a fine mist from a spray bottle and spray it above them so the water gently falls on them. You can also put out a shallow pan of warm water to see if they will go in. Some birds like the shower, and the moist air is very good for them. You can get them as soaked as they will allow and enjoy.

So how cold is it inside? If you don't have central heating, you could use a space heater, just make sure it does not contain teflon and is safe. I'm not a huge fan of hair driers either and some also contain teflon. If they don't get a bath for a couple of weeks because it's too cold, it's probably okay. Also, maybe save the really soaking wet baths for warmer days.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
when they are wet or damp, keep them out of draughts