• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How tame before harness training?

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Hello! I wanted to ask your opinions/experiences of how tame a cockatiel should be before trying to put on a harness to bring them outside. I recently purchased an aviator harness to try out, and will get a second one if I like it.

I’ve had my birds since November, and Peaches will step up on my hand SOMETIMES if he is in the correct mood and will hang out with me for a bit. Lychee does not like to step up, but his fear of hands has already improved greatly.

At what point in their taming are they ready to go outside? If I could successfully get the harness on Peaches, would it be emotionally damaging to only take him out? (Although Lychee doesn’t want to be held, he will sometimes get upset if I seem to be paying more attention to Peaches, to the point of biting him :< )

Any insight would be appreciated!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I have the Aviaror harness and it is no easy thing. There should have been a dvd with the harness outlining the conditioning needed to use the harness. It requires time, patience & complete trust of you by your fids. The Aviator requires you to put their head through a small hole & to manipulate both wings. My CAG has complete faith in me, was not afraid of the harness as She tends to be amazingly accepting of new things & it was still a struggle to get it on without upsetting her. I know there are others who use different flight cords & that might be a better route to go. As for being jealous, idt that would be too much of an issue as long as you give the other some primo attention after you’ve taken one out. One thing is for sure, if you get the harness on, you must take the Tiel to fly so they associate the harness with good things. I hope you are able to succeed with flying outside. Good Luck!

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Good information, thank you. I’d probably have to wait a little longer then. I don’t think I would be able to move their wings around at this point without making them panic >.< also, Peaches doesn’t fly yet. His wings were clipped at the shelter- but the vet told me he will probably grow back 3 flight feathers per wing by spring time!!

Kodigirl210

Now is the time to practice recall then. If Peaches can’t fly far or anything, once they trust to be in your hand, work on recall. Peaches only needs to be a foot or so away and it is both a trust and teaching. You call her to come to your hands. If you are able to do this, it’s the first step to free flight. It can be from one end of the perch to the others or hopping off a perch , whatever you choose as long as you practice having her come to you when you call. It’s especially important if you go outside & she were to get free somehow.

And yes, using a training perch and target training is an excellent ideal.

Best of luck :)

Brian Evans

Checking out the neighborhood
Need a bit of patient to try at the first time. Once get it through and it feel comfortable, should be easylater. The most difficult part is putting the neck in, if it is too small will be difficult. Get a adjustable harness and enable a large circle to loop it in. you can try this one (Amazon.com : Adjustable Parrot Bird Harness Leash - VIPpet Anti-Bite Training Rope Outdoor Flying Harness And Leash for Lovebirds Budgies Parakeets Parrot African And Other Small Size Birds(2 packs) : Pet Supplies its size is adjustable. will be easier for your first time use. My bird get in quite easy:):):)

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
446AB49D-763F-425C-9A54-7E2EFB3BBFFD.jpeg Update: I’ve been introducing Peaches to the harness. I tried to make sure I could put my hand around his back/wings area and touch them without him getting too panicky first. He’s still not completely tame, and as soon as I put it over his head he tries to chew it off. But (now that we’ve been practicing) he forgets it’s there when distracted. He had his first time outdoors without a cage today! Not much time spent outside since he seemed a bit frightened. But I hope that by this spring/summer he can walk around on grass and such!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Peaches looks so cute in the harness!!!

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
014F0BCD-3402-4166-A8EC-5352F2B9CCDF.jpeg

A few photos from our walk today. He got off my shoulder and onto a bench! Later on, he was spooked by a leaf blower :< once I picked him up, he hopped back on and stood very close.

D41F562D-7214-4E29-B93D-F3B45462AC1F.png

But once we got through the front gate and he felt safe again, he made his distance like “yeah I’m a tough and independent bird!”

871A3891-3919-4526-A480-AB1F1237C28A.jpeg

I think he’s getting slightly more confident <3

Kodigirl210

It might not be a bad ideal to have a treat ready for when you finish getting the harness on. This will distract him from chewing on it as well as offer him something “good” for allowing the harness to be out on :)

Other than that he seems like a very happy little dude ;)

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
It might not be a bad ideal to have a treat ready for when you finish getting the harness on. This will distract him from chewing on it as well as offer him something “good” for allowing the harness to be out on :)

Other than that he seems like a very happy little dude ;)
EA883BF7-216B-4AA2-BDEF-DE22441A3DCF.png
(Here’s a not so flattering picture of him eating like “mleeehhh” XD) So I have a hard time getting him to eat treats directly after putting it on because he get focused on chewing on the harness. After a bit he will forget it’s there and take them but this probably isn’t soon enough to put the harness = reward association in >.< I’ll keep trying haha