• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should I deal with this?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
LOL sometimes figuring out what we are saying is an adventure! Gotta love gadgets with different sized keyboards, and auto-coorrrect. !!! :roflmao:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How big is the cage? You will want the BIGGEST cage you can get. These are essentially wild animals and not even the biggest cage will recapitulate the environment they were evolved to live in, but you will have to do your best. Are there a lot of activities for her to do in it? I have numerous toys and wood for him to chew on. I also have the cage positioned by a window so he has a view out to watch people, animals, cars, etc. You want to make sure there is not direct sunlight and heat on the cage, as they are VERY sensitive to this.

My caique wants out ALL the time. He also becomes VERY angry if confined to the cage for extended periods of time. He becomes very bored very quickly. But like you, I cant have him out when I am not home or he will get into trouble. But he does love a routine and he will tolerate the cage knowing that he will be out for dinner, lunch, etc. with me.

I would incorporate your little girl into your home life. She should be your little buddy about the house. This will help relieve some of the boredom from being confined to a cage. While you shower, let her play on the bathroom counter, or hang a boing or perch in the bathroom for her. When you have breakfast, let her sit with you. She should eat with you also. Make a little plate for her. Pull the stand into the kitchen so she can hang out with you while you cook, or find a safe place on the kitchen counter, table, etc for her. When you are lazing around the house, let her run around the floor exploring and playing. Get down on the floor with her and play, or pet her in your lap sometimes. Set up a smaller cage in the bedroom area for her to sleep in (this will decrease the time she is in the day cage by 8 hours). Make sure it always has water in it. (I have found my caique drinks more water than my other birds). Snuggle her before putting her to bed. Make this all a routine she can count on. These are flock animals and your bird's instincts are to be with another bird. Since you are all she has, you will have to fill in. Caiques are exteremely intelligent and need constant mental stimulation. It will forever be a struggle for you (it is for me) to provide this, but you have to try.

My male caique wants to be held and snuggled a lot. He also can be very stubborn so I have incorporated using a light tee shirt to handle him sometimes. This can be used to snuggle him in, which he loves, especially before bed. Or, I may use it to gain control of him when he is angry and needs to go into the cage as he can inflict a nasty bite. When she has learned to trust you, maybe many months from now, try playing with a tee shirt or light rag on the floor with her. Eventually, being a caique, she may let you cradle her on her back in it while snuggling her. She may even fall asleep. I use a tee shirt instead of a towel because I dont want him to overheat.

Good luck with your little girl! She is cute, but she will be a lot of responsibility for many years. But if you love her, like I love my rascal boy, it will be worth it.

Last edited: