• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should I deal with this?

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
The previous owners are upset that I am leaving her in the cage to gain trust with Tidsy here. I've tried explaining to them that I'm learning I will just ruin any trust I am gaining with her. * and i am making progress* today she didn't once try to bite me through the bars and was eager to take apple and nutriberry from me. Everyone here told me I am rushing her so I have slowed everything down and I AM making progress. I just do not want to destroy what I am making with her by pressure from her previous owner. He said " she hates being in her cage though so maybe letting her out and scolding will help because if shes in her cage often she will get grumpy...if shes in her cage all day she will be upset :(, stern no and holding her beak has helped" What in the heck should I do? I don't want him thinking I am being lazy...far from the truth! I'm trying to do right by this girl and get her comfortable with me. I understand he wants her out of the cage, I do too, but I also don't want to mess up more. She just today is showing progress....if the advice ive been getting on here is correct bringing her out today probably isn't a good idea or am i wrong? Helps!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The previous owners are upset
Well first thing. They are not the owners anymore. Screw them. If they're so upset they should have thought twice about giving her up.

so maybe letting her out and scolding
Letting her out is great. Just what she needs. "Scolding" will do "nothing" for you except "increase" the undesired behaviour because scolding is a "drama reward".

Let her out of the cage in place where it's safe to fly around.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Well first thing. They are not the owners anymore. Screw them. If they're so upset they should have thought twice about giving her up.

Letting her out is great. Just what she needs. "Scolding" will do "nothing" for you except "increase" the undesired behaviour because scolding is a "drama reward".

Let her out of the cage in place where it's safe to fly around.

So I should let her out? I'm so confused everyone else from my other posts here told me that it can take weeks to get her to that point...I totally see what you're saying but she still hisses at me, and postures so once I let her out how do I finally retrieve her to put her away without ticking her off and putting her into attack mode....*she has it out for me... today is the first day of actual progress with her* She still wants to bite me at least by the displays she does. My worry is I let her out....then when its time to put her back I ruin her trust by pissing her off. lol!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Totally agree with john. They are no longer the owners = it's none of their business. You have YOUR way of working with YOUR bird.

Follow your instinct. If she isn't ready to come out yet just wait until you think she's ready.

Sorry we were typing at the same time! I agree with you it might be hard to put her back.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Totally agree with john. They are no longer the owners = it's none of their business. You have YOUR way of working with YOUR bird.

Follow your instinct. If she isn't ready to come out yet just wait until you think she's ready.

Sorry we were typing at the same time! I agree with you it might be hard to put her back.

I felt bad and let her out....puzzled how I will get her back but hopefully she will be chill haha thank you to you AND JOHN!

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Heres a pic of her a few moments ago the call hr told me was her "i want out call" shes also doing outside of her cage lol none of her calls are any different that shes out actually...she did do the caique hop on her stand though for a moment ill take that as a sign of glee

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you really want to have a great life for that bird then you need to provide a safe secure place where you can let that bird out of the cage, let her fly to her hearts content and it doesn't matter if she goes back in or not. Because her cage is in her environment. There's no need to chase or catch her.

If you don't have this kind of environment then that is what you should be striving to get. Sacrifice some of your personal space and make it happen.

Give this a read.
Cage Aggression | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Letting them out of the cage and leaving them alone has been the best trust former I've experienced. All of my birds have only been made to stay in the cage for the first 24 hours, and then after that the cage door is open and they are allowed free access. I then pretty much ignore them and just let them observe from wherever they feel most comfortable for a week or however long they need. I drop a treat in a bowl near them until they are ready to take it from my hand (if they ever are). I let my birds be birds until they want to be friends. Giving them space, and the choice to do what they want as much as possible shows that you respect them, and it really does help their confidence in their surroundings, which makes it easier for them to take risks, like forming a friendship with a new person.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
If you really want to have a great life for that bird then you need to provide a safe secure place where you can let that bird out of the cage, let her fly to her hearts content and it doesn't matter if she goes back in or not. Because her cage is in her environment. There's no need to chase or catch her.

If you don't have this kind of environment then that is what you should be striving to get. Sacrifice some of your personal space and make it happen.

Give this a read.
Cage Aggression | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Of course I want her to have a great life lol! However when we leave I will need to have her in her cage for her own safety plus my other animals safety. Luckily I am here pretty much all the time and work from home so leaving isn't a regular thing.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Letting them out of the cage and leaving them alone has been the best trust former I've experienced. All of my birds have only been made to stay in the cage for the first 24 hours, and then after that the cage door is open and they are allowed free access. I then pretty much ignore them and just let them observe from wherever they feel most comfortable for a week or however long they need. I drop a treat in a bowl near them until they are ready to take it from my hand (if they ever are). I let my birds be birds until they want to be friends. Giving them space, and the choice to do what they want as much as possible shows that you respect them, and it really does help their confidence in their surroundings, which makes it easier for them to take risks, like forming a friendship with a new person.

I had a break through with her today thanks to all of this advice from you and the others. She flew finally then started exploring our house....i followed behind not right on her claws but just to keep an eye on her. She was laughing and whistling and saying "woo!" then turned around and stepped up all on her own. She seems to be warming up to me. She did later in the day lung and attack my one toe...which hurt like crazy lol but I know that caiques and even other parrots can be toe goblins so it wasn't too much of a shock. Then she bit my hand quite hard when I had to put her away (she kept flying towards the kitchen while I was cooking dinner I didnt want her to get hurt) so I prepared as best as i could for the punishment I would receive for putting her away and like clock work as soon as she realized she was being put away she attacked my hand....oh joy! lol! At least I am aware enough to understand what I am doing wrong....and figure out ways to fix it...smart lil gal!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did you show her the great in the cage first?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
when you have two three totally free hours, no chores or anything, let her out in a safe pet free room and don't feed her. In two hours she is going to get hungry and then put food in her cage. She should go back on her own.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
when you have two three totally free hours, no chores or anything, let her out in a safe pet free room and don't feed her. In two hours she is going to get hungry and then put food in her cage. She should go back on her own.

sounds like a reasonable way to work with her lil butt lol thank you