• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should I clip my bird's wings?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not a fan of clipping, when I tried to talk to the vet about it, she misunderstood me & clipped Buddy. He was an old bird, new to flying. He got scared one day after this clipping & shot thru the house & took a corner wrong & literally spatted into a wall (it was like a looney toons cartoon). His beak was bruised w/ a mark that stayed until it grew out. We've had Buddy for 2 & 1/2 yrs now & his last 2 clipped feathers came out this year in the spring. About a year & a 1/2 after the vet clipped him.

He is a stronger flyer now, but those clipped feathers made him have to work harder to get lift. That harder work & more thought process he had to do made him unstable. Birds shouldn't ne unstable. Please read all the stuff that you got posted to you as the people here know what they are talking about.

Welcome to AA!

:gbh: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I clipped Louise at first, thought it would slow her down and make her safer. It did not. She was more determined to fly. With full feathers, she is much safer and I marvel at how tight of a turn she can make, almost helicopter-like. With her, I don't have to cover windows but watching the door vigilantly is a must! No one comes in or out unless she is secure in her cage-except I can get the dogs in/out fast with a small crack--but not if she is in the same room as the door. She has flown to the screen and clung on so I know she CAN make it outside. I would be less worried about the crashing and more worried about keeping doors and windows secure.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I clipped Louise at first, thought it would slow her down and make her safer. It did not. She was more determined to fly. With full feathers, she is much safer and I marvel at how tight of a turn she can make, almost helicopter-like. With her, I don't have to cover windows but watching the door vigilantly is a must! No one comes in or out unless she is secure in her cage-except I can get the dogs in/out fast with a small crack--but not if she is in the same room as the door. She has flown to the screen and clung on so I know she CAN make it outside. I would be less worried about the crashing and more worried about keeping doors and windows secure.
My grey flies upstairs to the loft, back down stairs. Great flier.
My senny, ( my daughter's bird now), you had to watch him like a hawk. He can fly out doors open. Not fun!