• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old are your Too?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
My too is two ;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Milton- being raised by an older person-then coming to us- is probably used to being a bit less boisterous around people than a 'too raised by younger, more active people...not that Milty can't, and hasn't, given us a run for our money at times...:D
That's kind of like an only child raised in a family with not many kids! They tend to be quiet and more reserved! Huh they are like kids!!

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Babette turned 30 on the 9th she’s an umbrella. I’ve had her since she was 10. Samson is 23 and Neile is 26. One is a product of divorce and the other is an ex breeder. They’ve been with us a little less than 10 years. They’re my angels ! :heart: 80478157-E7D3-49C5-8EE0-10F03DDD36AA.jpeg CF12CC2D-2FEC-4E74-A219-2F13E2275D0D.jpeg 0CB1F439-CEB4-4E67-9E1D-B50330064AA8.jpeg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
The USA’s ban on parrot importation was enacted in 1992. So any parrots older than 26 have a chance of being wild caught. Any slightly younger than that still have a chance of being wild caught as they could have been smuggled in. There is also a ton in their early 20s and late teens because in the mid to late 90s there was a massive explosion in breeding them for the pet market. It wasn’t until semi recently the breeding has slowed down a bit because of the sheer numbers in rescues that were abandoned by their owners for just being themselves.

Watch “Parrot Confidential” on Amazon. It’s a really good documentary about it.

That said, My Umbrella is 13, and as far as I know was bred in California. He made it to Michigan about 5 years ago and was given up to a pet store because his owners couldn’t care for him. I ended up with him because the pet store hated his screaming and he would bite customers. So they just kept a sheet on him all the time :(. He was just crying for help because He wanted someone to love him..... He’s as free as a captive parrot can be with us though, living his best life in his forever home. And low and behold, when treated properly he no longer has the behavior issues. Then again he’s moody like any cockatoo.

Funny story here. I didn’t really WANT a cockatoo haha. I heard all the horror stories. Aggression, Velcro bird, screaming, plucking, etc. I figured “that would be really hard to live with”. I met him a few years ago not long after he went to the pet store and I felt so bad for him. I’d go in and he would be covered with that sheet. Sticking his foot out just so someone would grab it. They always said “Don’t touch his foot. He does that so he can pull you in and bite your finger”. Well, I started giving him attention. And the rest is history. He’s my best buddy now haha.

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Echo's 16 I think. He was hatched in Ontario and banded. But his band was confusing and didn't have a year on the way I've seen them before. I'm his 3rd home. 20190719_155017.jpg

And then there's Zane. So hard to know for sure given his past but we assume he was around 75 when he passed
FB_IMG_1520036207501.jpg

Sylvia_E

Moving in
Real Name
Sylvia
So glad to here about all your toos out there!!! Some storys so sad, but yet happy.... And of course breeders havent had toos for so long, and It is hard to know the age in many cases.

All of you out there with +25 birds, are they calmer, more "adult" than before?
My Zorro has been affected of some neurologic "thing", its almost like alzemer. And I wonder how much is "illness" and how much is "age"

Just so you now, he has been checked by one of our best bird vet in sweden, (tested negativ for PDD) he is now "treated" with metacam (NSAID) and doing pretty god.( short, loss in balans and shaking when excited is the main issue. )

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So glad to here about all your toos out there!!! Some storys so sad, but yet happy.... And of course breeders havent had toos for so long, and It is hard to know the age in many cases.

All of you out there with +25 birds, are they calmer, more "adult" than before?
My Zorro has been affected of some neurologic "thing", its almost like alzemer. And I wonder how much is "illness" and how much is "age"

Just so you now, he has been checked by one of our best bird vet in sweden, (tested negativ for PDD) he is now "treated" with metacam (NSAID) and doing pretty god.( short, loss in balans and shaking when excited is the main issue. )
I hope your bird feels better.

We've only had Elvis about 2 and a half years. We fostered him first and then adopted him. He's at least 26-27- we don't know his exact age but he's wild caught so he has to be at least that old. So I can't say what he was like when he was younger but heaven help whoever had him before if he is "calm" now. LOL. No, at least in his case, I don't think age has calmed him down. He is a busy, busy boy. But if he is still in his twenties, that really is not that old for a cockatoo. Just more reaching middle age?

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I’ve read some accounts where people say their Too’s calm down a bit with age and some say they just keep going. However, that was aimed at hormones. I recall reading something awhile back that said their Toos started calming down hormonally around 40. That doesn’t mean they were any less of a handful though haha

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi, I can´t stop wondering how "every" bird seemed to be just a couple of years old?? Is it because It´s new and exciting? Or is there not older birds out there??

How old are your too? Did you once have one, how old did he or she get?

I have two Goffin male, one is born 1997 and the other one, My Zorro´s age is not certain but I got him 1999 (I think) and he was very much like a teenager at that point....

Looking forward too here about your hopfully older too. :):D2:be2::cc2::heart:

Oh geez let's see...
Major ( major Mitchell) lived to 59, had him 34 years....my one eyed too.........Billy jean, I had her 30 years as a rescue...silver crested too, lived to 56.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I’ve read some accounts where people say their Too’s calm down a bit with age and some say they just keep going. However, that was aimed at hormones. I recall reading something awhile back that said their Toos started calming down hormonally around 40. That doesn’t mean they were any less of a handful though haha
I agree with that... As my Too's lived out their age...yes they lost their hormonal drive, much like we do when we get up in age. Less of a handful? Define handful.
They are far more loving in my opinion when older, they rely on you more. And in last 2-3 years or more of their elder age, they can be needy, with help climbing, they get lazier in wanting baths, their diet wants change abit. Their beak needs trimming more as they chew less. Stuff like that.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think sometimes that is part of the agenda to push people toward getting a rescue bird than buying a baby from a breeder. Personally, I have only seen minor differences as birds get older. My old arthritic amazon will still take every chance he can get to bite me. He might fall off his perch trying to chase me down, but he’ll try it anyway. Hormones may or may not get a little more consistent. Rather than hormones randomly all year, they might be more predictably seasonal. But I saw that change happening between 8 and 12 years old. Not so much for 20 year olds and beyond. But no guarantees. I’ve noticed my big sulfur crest cockatoo getting slightly better at entertaining herself as she ages. Less desperate for stimulation. But she can still be a pain in the butt.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I think sometimes that is part of the agenda to push people toward getting a rescue bird than buying a baby from a breeder. Personally, I have only seen minor differences as birds get older. My old arthritic amazon will still take every chance he can get to bite me. He might fall off his perch trying to chase me down, but he’ll try it anyway. Hormones may or may not get a little more consistent. Rather than hormones randomly all year, they might be more predictably seasonal. But I saw that change happening between 8 and 12 years old. Not so much for 20 year olds and beyond. But no guarantees. I’ve noticed my big sulfur crest cockatoo getting slightly better at entertaining herself as she ages. Less desperate for stimulation. But she can still be a pain in the butt.
With mine, it wasn't until their early 50's when you really start seeing changes in hormones like they just don't get the attacks anymore., slowing down, not wanting certain foods anymore, their active level, the neediness. And of course more medical issues, age related.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
The USA’s ban on parrot importation was enacted in 1992. So any parrots older than 26 have a chance of being wild caught. Any slightly younger than that still have a chance of being wild caught as they could have been smuggled in. There is also a ton in their early 20s and late teens because in the mid to late 90s there was a massive explosion in breeding them for the pet market. It wasn’t until semi recently the breeding has slowed down a bit because of the sheer numbers in rescues that were abandoned by their owners for just being themselves.

Watch “Parrot Confidential” on Amazon. It’s a really good documentary about it.

That said, My Umbrella is 13, and as far as I know was bred in California. He made it to Michigan about 5 years ago and was given up to a pet store because his owners couldn’t care for him. I ended up with him because the pet store hated his screaming and he would bite customers. So they just kept a sheet on him all the time :(. He was just crying for help because He wanted someone to love him..... He’s as free as a captive parrot can be with us though, living his best life in his forever home. And low and behold, when treated properly he no longer has the behavior issues. Then again he’s moody like any cockatoo.

Funny story here. I didn’t really WANT a cockatoo haha. I heard all the horror stories. Aggression, Velcro bird, screaming, plucking, etc. I figured “that would be really hard to live with”. I met him a few years ago not long after he went to the pet store and I felt so bad for him. I’d go in and he would be covered with that sheet. Sticking his foot out just so someone would grab it. They always said “Don’t touch his foot. He does that so he can pull you in and bite your finger”. Well, I started giving him attention. And the rest is history. He’s my best buddy now haha.
That's so sad, poor guy. So glad you found him! :heart: