• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often should claws be cut?

louise pearson

Checking out the neighborhood
Can anyone help? I have two linnies aged 5 months , their nails seem to curl over. I was wondering what age linnies should have their nails cut and how often. Are they too young yet? It's my first experience with birds!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies toe nails (not claws) grow faster and longer than most other birds because they are climbers. If they are curving inward they need a trim. I suggest you get them trimmed at an avian vets office. I think Linnies have dark nails making it difficult for a home trim. If you are lucky you might find a groomer that will come to your home.

louise pearson

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for your help wasn't sure if they were too young or it is around the right age for the first trim

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
If you don't know how to trim birds nails or never have I also recommend having an avian vet show you or if you have any bird friends you could have them show you. I have my birds on a schedule so they get their nails checked every 3 weeks but I trim more often than that as needed. I offer a pedi perch in their cages, usually on the outside of the cages along with a lot of textures of perches so they often actually help keep them worn down. I don't let their nails curl under so anytime it gets close I trim a little off

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If vet says too young to cut nails then you can file the tip a bit. Use emory board and have another person hold bird. Do you know how to hold a bird properly?