• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often for vet checks?

JCarpentier

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica Carpentier
Hello,

How often should a bird go to the vet? I know my dog goes every year for an annual. Is that a good rule of thumb for a bird as well? Thanks!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I take mine in yearly for exams, gram stains, cbc's and chem panels. That way I have a yearly baseline to compare to, should one get ill. Came in handy recently when our newest bird had her second workup and the vet noticed a heart arrhythmia that the first vet did not notice at her initial exam.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Plus, since they do hide illness so well, I really like the yearly confirmation that they are indeed healthy and aren't hiding anything when they visibly look fine. I'd never forgive myself if one passed due to something that could have been caught early with regular checkups.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i do once a year as well

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
What about a yearly check up for senior birds? Should it still be done yearly for gram stains, blood work? Seems like it might stress them out.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
With older birds, just like older humans, they are more likely to have health problems. Some aren't apparent to the eye, like atherosclerosis, liver/kidney function decline and heart problems. It's a good idea to have an xray done every other year in an older bird to catch tumors and heart/lung/circulatory issues.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our birds have yearly checkups. And since we have senior birds, they get x-rays,also. Like @Hankmacaw said, it's a good thing to do...

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Okay i must be a horrible owner. I took my birds in for a wellness check when we first got them and they went in one other time. Since then Gracie had to go this week but in 15 years they have each only gone two times each with no illnesses. I'm a lot more paranoid now though that they are both 15 though and anything that look off of weird puts up a flag. My husband thinks I am over reacting.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
i take valentine yearly for her physical unless she needs to see him before

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yearly...I used to go twice a year but then Chya got sick a week after her check up so I just dropped back to once and as needed. If someone looks off, I go in for a gram stain. I have some special needs birds that go in every three months or so. Hachi, Giggie and Julip.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I just got back from taking Kiwi to his first vet check. I was told he was "perfect", had a DNA sexing done, wings clipped, weighed, Physical examination, Choanal and Fecal Gram Stain and Fecal parasite check.
I was told I should bring him back 30 to 60 for these test .. Chlamydia Testing, Polyoma Virus Testing, Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease Testing and Complete Blood Count. The future test will be a whopping $300. Should I be concerned enough to do these test? Kiwi is 11 weeks old and will not be around other birds. As a retiree on a budget, its a little much for me. I will do it if its necessary for his health though.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is expensive, but if she has one of the diseases being rested for you need to know now. A cbc is invaluable to ascertain a bird's health and how their diet is performing.

Care Credit can be valuable for a person like yourself - Veterinary Financing | Healthcare Financing | CareCredit

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
We discussed diet and nutrition. The vet was impressed with the birds diet and said he was doing well and his weight was "spot on". Would there be less of an issue if the bird were not around other birds to contract those diseases?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I go yearly as long as they arent sick ..knock on wood ..;)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just got back from taking Kiwi to his first vet check. I was told he was "perfect", had a DNA sexing done, wings clipped, weighed, Physical examination, Choanal and Fecal Gram Stain and Fecal parasite check.
I was told I should bring him back 30 to 60 for these test .. Chlamydia Testing, Polyoma Virus Testing, Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease Testing and Complete Blood Count. The future test will be a whopping $300. Should I be concerned enough to do these test? Kiwi is 11 weeks old and will not be around other birds. As a retiree on a budget, its a little much for me. I will do it if its necessary for his health though.
To be honest, I would do a CBC (complete blood count) and chem panel over disease testing. That's just my opinion.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
How do they take the blood? I watched a video on youtube that freaked me out. The vet took the blood from the chest area.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
To be honest, I would do a CBC (complete blood count) and chem panel over disease testing. That's just my opinion.
I would agree. The CBC will give you a health baseline, and indicate any possible chronic illness that can be treated. Testing for Polyomavirus and PBFD is simply going to tell you that your bird does or does not have a fatal illness. Polyoma in most adult species is not fatal. If the bird has PBFD, there is no treatment. Given budgetary needs, I would forgo the disease testing in favor of the CBC in a young bird.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
agreed

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How do they take the blood? I watched a video on youtube that freaked me out. The vet took the blood from the chest area.
My vet takes it from the leg or jugular.