• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often do your birds adjust their crop?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu does it every morning first thing when he wakes up. I always thought crops were supposed to be empty when they wake up? He does not eat during the night but he does eat right before bed. Is that weird?

Then I'd estimate him adjusting like 10-15 times throughout the day. Is that about the same amount of times your birds do it too? He's always been this way and always checks out ok at the vet. I'm just curious, not really worried

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
My bird will randomly start doing that. Its not bad though.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, yes I've seen that. I remember Gigi did it often for a while but I haven't seen it in a long time now.

A year ago at Gigi's baby checkup she showed a little yeast in her stool and after using ACV vinegar it went away. We use it monthly now and her stool is clear. I read that yawn can indicate yeast but I don't know if it's true. Has Blu ever had a little yeast show up in his stool? Please disregard this if I'm totally off base. This was just something that happened to us and I read, but might be nothing.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ok, yes I've seen that. I remember Gigi did it often for a while but I haven't seen it in a long time now.

A year ago at Gigi's baby checkup she showed a little yeast in her stool and after using ACV vinegar it went away. We use it monthly now and her stool is clear. I read that yawn can indicate yeast but I don't know if it's true. Has Blu ever had a little yeast show up in his stool? Please disregard this if I'm totally off base. This was just something that happened to us and I read, but might be nothing.
That's good to know and I'm glad the acv cleared up the yeast nicely. Blu has never had any yeast show up before thankfully. But who knows, it might indicate a yeast infection if he does it too much. He's always done it this much so now I'm even more curious if it's abnormal

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad he has always tested fine. I wish some folks would chime in with more personal experience

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Emery does that occasionally. I don't think she does it daily though. If she does, I haven't noticed it. Every few days she does it, and sometimes it's after eating pellets. Other times, she just does it randomly.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for all of the responses so far, everyone!

@enigma731 , may I ask you?

Is it normal for a bird to adjust their crop every day, multiple times a day?

How much is too much?

And how about first thing in the morning? (Though I'm guessing not everyone sees their bird immediately after waking up, if the bird wakes up by themselves. I see Blu get up every morning because we have black out curtains and I have to turn on a light and open the shades to get him up)

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Im curious, too. Wally does this regularly, both morning and night. She hasnt had an concerns in the past from her vet visits.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He may also be yawning or clearing his airway. I don't really have an answer to "too much" -- I'd say if it's a change or he seems distressed by it or you see other signs of illness, then I'd be concerned. On its own, not so much.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He may also be yawning or clearing his airway. I don't really have an answer to "too much" -- I'd say if it's a change or he seems distressed by it or you see other signs of illness, then I'd be concerned. On its own, not so much.

Ahhh, that's a relief! Thank you so much!!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I noticed that Murphy was opening and closing his jaw a little too often about one year ago. I know this can be a sign of yeast in the crop from having lost a budgie to AGY before. So off to the vet we went. Sure enough he had crop yeast. Vet told me it was good I noticed and the ampho cleared him in 2 weeks. I watch carefully now.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I noticed that Murphy was opening and closing his jaw a little too often about one year ago. I know this can be a sign of yeast in the crop from having lost a budgie to AGY before. So off to the vet we went. Sure enough he had crop yeast. Vet told me it was good I noticed and the ampho cleared him in 2 weeks. I watch carefully now.
Wow, that's scary! Good that you were so proactive!

I think since Blu has always done this I'm just going to keep an eye on him and then mention it to the vet next time we go. But if anything else seems off I will go sooner.