• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how often do you clean your cages?

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
i try to clean my cages every day (changing newspaper, full wipe down and scrub). if i’m having a busy week, i may push it back a day. i’m just curious on how often you guys do a deep clean. i live in an apartment and i don’t have the luxury of power washing them outdoors or diluting bleach and letting them sit in the sun (they won’t fit through the doorway without being disassembled).

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I clean them very day and change papers. Takes 15 minuter/cage so I think it's worth it.
Deep clean every Saturday, (incl playstands and toys) but my cages are to big for bathroom door so I clean them where they are.
I never use bleach. Only clean with water and if I find poop on a perch I use ACV.

I only have two parrots = two cages, so it's easy to give them clean cages every day.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I clean every 2 weeks, but change the papers daily. It's way too much for me to clean all 13 cages daily.

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
I clean them very day and change papers. Takes 15 minuter/cage so I think it's worth it.
Deep clean every Saturday, (incl playstands and toys) but my cages are to big for bathroom door so I clean them where they are.
I never use bleach. Only clean with water and if I find poop on a perch I use ACV.

I only have two parrots = two cages, so it's easy to give them clean cages every day.
i only have two cages too, that’s why i don’t mind the daily cleanings. what is acv?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Change papers once a day after breakfast of soft foods. I layer up on Sunday morning, 1layer for each day. On Sunday morning the trays get wiped down with 50-50 vinegar/water that I keep in spray bottle right by the cages. Daily, I wiped down all the bars of sides and top of the cages with same 50/50 vinegar/water. The grates get pulled as needed and tossed into the bath tub with dawn dish soap. Rinsed and dried well. Sham-Wows are great for drying.
Once a month everything gets a good wash down. Every 3 months a deep clean with steamer. Perches get washed, if wooden, placed in low oven 200degrees, for about 15minutes, oven shut off and allowed to dry completely over night. Rope perches get vet wrapped monthly, keeps the dirt off, then monthly get washed and rolled into sham wow to absorb most of the water. Dried overnight either in front of a fan or on drying rack. I F-10 everything when I have it. Makes a huge difference.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I have 7 birds in 6 day cages of which 2 don't fit through the birdroom door and 3 night cages.
I dust and pull 2 of 14 papers from each cage every night. This takes ~3 minutes per cage and really cuts time of weekly cleanings. The birds learn the plan is to their benefits and also builds trust.
I do a full clean of everything each Saturday. Poop and food are cleaned off walls, toys, gyms and perches with PoopOff.
Once every 6 months I deep clean with F10, never bleach.
Transport cages are cleaned before and after each use.
Vacuuming is a daily thing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on the bird!

Ripley needs daily paper changes since he destroys them. However, his cage besides food bowl rings stays clean so I wash those and the surrounding perches daily.

Jingo needs papers changed maybe twice a week because he doesn't poop or play much in his cage, but he is messier on perches and stuff so I do those more often.

I'm very much an "as needed" person for the most part!

Every other month I douse cages in F10 and let sit before cleaning. Often that's before I do steam cleaning

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I quickly wipe down cages with water/vinegar and change papers daily. I wash perches as needed, but they stay fairly clean since I position them out of the poop zone. I wash food and water bowls daily, and play sets get wiped down daily as well. I use f10 a couple times a year.

Max83

Walking the driveway
I change papers daily in the morning for the african grey and in the cockatiel's cage I change them daily or every other day it depends. They don't make large poops like the african grey and their cage is pretty big.

I Wash food bowls and water bowls daily for everyone. Deep cleaning and scrub with vinegar when needed, usually once or twice a week.

In the days I give them boiled eggs I change the papers after 2 hours for prevent bacterias growth.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I change papers and clean up errant poops and smeared food daily. Wipe down the bars as 3 of my birds are dusty. I was doing a disinfection every week but my vet said once a month was fine. I didn't know you could get F10 again so I will look into that. I've been using a 50 part water to 1 part bleach solution.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Ummmmmm

Papers are not changed daily at my house. I use the bird cage liners. I clean grates when I change liners.

I wipe down cages when I change liners.

Deep cleans are done at a minimum of twice a year and more often if they need it. NOTE: beware of using power washers, it can harm powder coated cages. I use a standard garden hose.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton's cage get new papers and a light cleaning every day...he's messy...but don't tell him that...he'll call you a "BAD BIRD."

The littles get new paper and light cleaning every other day.

Light cleaning helps stretch out the time in-between major, breakdown the cage cleaning. That happens about once a month for all...

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I change the papers only once a week, although it's every day for Jordan's cage because she chews up the paper.

Toys and perches are cleaned once every 2-3 weeks when I rearrange them, and the cages get a good scrub once a month, although that changes during the winter. The cages themselves don't get cleaned during the winter cause I can't go outside and they don't fit in the sink without being disassembled, but the grates and trays do get cleaned monthly year round.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I clean the parakeet's cage daily and once a week for the bigger birds. I use cedar chips instead of paper for my two bigger ones.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wipe down Java's cage after breakfast and after dinner. I change the fleece as needed and the paper towels everyday or every other day. I use vinegar and water mostly but use f10 every other week on certain areas, mainly the areas that get caked with his spit. I also shake out the fleece maybe twice a week, and I hand wash the dirtied fleece every other day