• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much time it take for a budgie to lay an egg

cool budgie

Meeting neighbors
Hi friends can I Ask you that how much time it take for a budgie to lay an egg.what are the requirements for an budgie to breed?what is the best food for budgies to lay an egg?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you planning on budgie breeding? May I ask why?

cool budgie

Meeting neighbors
Because i want more budgie.is that a bad idea? What is the best food for budgie to lay an egg

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Veggies, fruit and extra calcium. It can be dangerous to breed any type of bird without experience. A female bird can become egg bound and die. It can also cause alot stress. Is their any rescues in your area or maybe ads for budgies needing to be rehome? Rescuing any type of animal is very rewarding!

This is a site I found on breeding budgies:
Guide to Breeding Parakeets | LoveToKnow

What ever you decide I wish you luck and hope that your Budgies stay happy and healthy :hug4:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you rescue of adopt instead of breeding? Unless you have many years of experience with breeding budgies I am afraid this road will be filled with many bumps.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you mean how old they have to be to lay, or how long after mating, or how long they take after they start to look like they're going to lay?
They can lay eggs very young, but it's not healthy for them before a year old. If you have a pair, there's no guarantee they will ever lay eggs, most will, but how long it takes will depend on their health and the season. Once a female starts acting broody, going in the nestbox a lot, eating calcium, ect. you need to watch her closely for signs of eggbinding.

General good nutrition is important. To get them in breeding condition, it's important they get plenty of fresh foods, such as greens, veggies, and soaked seed. The female should always have access to calcium, such as a mineral block or cuttlebone.

Like others are saying, there are always lots of mostly poorly bred budgies, pretty much all pet stores have them. Don't breed more unless you know what you are doing, know there will be homes for them, and are breeding only from nice healthy budgies (preferably budgies that are from a high quality breeder themselves).

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
In a previous thread I thought you mentioned they were fighting?

cool budgie

Meeting neighbors
what are symptoms when budgies are breeding?.is a pot with hole is enough for their breeding?or a next box is necessary.i will post with the picture of pot. download.jpg

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
If you are planning to breed the pair that are fighting they probably won't. Breeding puts the female's life at risk which may kill the male too (heartbreak). Can you hand feed chicks if they are rejected (it's very easy to kill them if you do it wrong)? Are your budgies related? Do they have good blood lines (no inbreeding or passing on bad genes)? Do you have money to take the parents to vets for full blood work to rule out them being carriers or have diseases like aspergillosis, French molt,Psittacosis (you don't want them breeding), do you have money to take the chicks for checks and treat them if they develop infections or splayed leg?

Do you have more money to feed the parents a better diet so they don't become deffcient in vitamin d and calcium, do you feed fresh foods? Do you have some big cages to separate all male and female chicks to prevent inbreeding and fighting (pairs don't share territory and will kill)?

A nest box is better, for the chicks safety and ease to check on them without upsetting mum and dad. But you will need to buy some large flight cages. One for mum and dad and a couple more for male and female chicks as they may inbreed or fight. Lots of toys that they can shred, variation of perches like rope, natural wood, flat perches. Provide them a pelleted diet as females need extra calcium and they need vitamin D (from unfiltered sunlight, outside or from the pellets), lots of fresh veg and grains, some seeds, cuttlefish and mineral block.

Female's cere changes to crusty brown, male dark blue. Lots of singing, courting and head bobbing. Though if all chicks survive into adulthood you could end up with 9-12 budgies.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
In some countries the clay pots are more commonly used than nestboxes and seem to work fine.. the rounded bottom might even work better at preventing splay leg. But they still have a need to chew on wood, in the wild, the mom would chew on wood to make the nest and it looks like she's trying to chew on the clay pot. I would give her some toys or pieces of soft wood that she can chew up.