• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Much Fresh food?

CanadianWings

Moving in
So when giving birds fresh vegetables or fruit, how much do I give them? They didn't touch the red peppers or carrot (will try again), but when they figured out the romaine, it was gone. Next time I put romaine in (a couple of small leaves from my garden), they ate it right away. Good start! Not sure how much to put in though? How much do I feed them? I don't want to overfeed.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Budgies?? Mine eat about.... 3-4 Tbsp for the 2 of them. Then I give them that much dry food in the evening.

If they’re picking it out, chop smaller so it’s all mashed together.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How are you presenting the veggies? Is it chopped? My two also devour romaine lettuce hung in the cage dripping wet.

I dont measure the chop but would guess its about half cup for two budgies. A sprinkle of millet entices them to the chop. My two will not touch peppers of any kind.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think you can overfeed with veggies, unless you mean give them too much so they won't eat it up and it will be a waste. I guess you'll find out how much they eat after a while but if they don't usually eat greens you can chop them very thin with things you know they like, like the romaine and some millet on the top. You can also make a mash with different greens + rice/pasta + egg + some seeds. Then freeze it in the ice cube tray and serve one cube a day.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I hang veg in the cage, a couple of pieces each day. He was skittish about it at first but now I think he would eat anything! Keep persisting! Also it sounds weird, but if my budgie sees me eating that gets him interested and he wants to have some, or he goes to his feed and starts eating. If you want to try with the carrot again maybe nibble it in front of him?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
So when giving birds fresh vegetables or fruit, how much do I give them? They didn't touch the red peppers or carrot (will try again), but when they figured out the romaine, it was gone. Next time I put romaine in (a couple of small leaves from my garden), they ate it right away. Good start! Not sure how much to put in though? How much do I feed them? I don't want to overfeed.
Lots of Canadians here, including me!

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I also hang soaking wet, they love it! Right now they’re enjoying 2romaine leaves and 1broccoli. Sorry the pics aren’t great, it’s actually sunny here today for once.

Just keep offering different veg, mix it up and have fun with it :) I really don’t think you need to worry about too much veg. Mine ignored for awhile before deciding they LOVE them. Esp the romaine, once they’re done with the leaves they pull it down and duel for the stems lol

Attachments

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
If they love lettuce, try giving them spinach. It has so many more vitamins and minerals and is a lot better than just plain lettuce. :)
only give spinach occasionally. It is high in oxalates, which binds with calcium and other minerals, depriving the bird. It can also cause kidney problems.