• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much does it eat?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds eat about 15 to 20% of their body weight daily

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nope :) Birds bathe, play, investigate, instigate, fly, climb, nap, preen, eat and poop ;)

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Birds poop A LOT lol! But they also do a bunch of other stuff as well.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
My parrotlets eat about 2 tablespoons of veggies and about 1 tablespoon of pellets. I’m guessing on the pellets because I just check it every day to make sure there’s plenty. I give them 4 tablespoons of veggies and they eat about half of it. They snack throughout the day. Mostly in the morning when they wake up, in the afternoon, and then the evening. Just like we do.

The only reason a bird would only eat and poop is because they have no toys to play with and no out of cage time to explore. They’re very active, playful, and intelligent.

BirdIsDaWord

Moving in
Is that much for a Bird? I read that Parrotlets have High metabolism rates and could eat more than an Amazon? Or am i just stupid?

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
I mean, not really, budgies and lovebirds eat about the same amount. Having a high metabolism means they eat more frequently but they’re still tiny birds. A parrotlet could never eat more than an amazon :roflmao: I wouldn’t trust whoever/wherever you got that information. An amazon’s stomach is probably bigger than an entire parrotlet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
But comparatively speaking it is true. They do have high metabolism (because they’re such busy little guys) so they eat more than another birdd that’s relatively the same size.