• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much do your Amazons weigh?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
There is a PDF on this vet's website about average weight in birds

Scott E. McDonald

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Scott E. McDonald
Thanks!!!!! Wow, that would mean my zon is over wieght! Hmmmm, nice site but not entirely definitive on variations in size and structure. You know, like how humans have different bone mass like small bones large bones, ideal weight for one person is not the same as ideal for another...so I'm wondering if that might be a similar thing with birds.
My vet owns several different species of birds, once told me that weight has a variable in birds because you can take for example, 3 cags all same age , one can look like a baby, small build, the other could look like a giant for its breed, yet not over weight. Dose that make sense?? Your thoughts????

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Any parrot's body composition, fat distribution, etc., matters more for their health than fitting within a scale.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Any parrot's body composition, fat distribution, etc., matters more for their health than fitting within a scale.
Thanks! That makes sense. My Zon proportions her body weight nicely. But yes she's heavier than a lot of bfa's , she's large by standards too.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The new addition is 407 grams and underweight, but we're not sure by how much. She's starting to associate me with food so I'm hoping she'll be less stressed at time goes on because right now screams blue blood murder if I get anywhere near her food or water.
I went thru that w/ Buddy too initially. Just my opinion & an answer in Zon language of yes. He thought I was stealing the food. I asked he told me. After meals were more communal & a bunch of new food (I think) @ 20+ yrs old. I had to show him food was safe to eat. He'll pretty much eat anything I eat. Luckily for me I really like fruits & veggies :lol:

:hug7:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Sam went to the vet yesterday. He is now 540 gms, down from 550 last year. I thought he was lighter, but was wrong. He is very tall and the vet says he is not fat at all. Very healthy at 36 years.
that's great!!! Doesn't it make you feel good when they have a good bill of health!? It's does me.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Clueless .

:thanks:! That was interesting. I'm not overly sure where Buddy's weight would be. He's s mexican red headed Zon aka Green CheekCheek (which is what my vet calls him). The internet said he was a red lored w/ something I was reading.

The weights on the list vary widely between a red lored & a red headed. My vet said his weight was good @ 288 gr & that it would go up w/ the flying overtime a bit. Am I to assume to not let it get too much higher & go w/ the lowest of the low weights w/ the red headed? I'm just a bit confused as to what a red lored is to be different from a red headed (if you know)? Is it yellow cheeks? Sorry this is written poorely. Thanks

:gbh:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My amazons don't weigh as much as some of the other blue fronts. I'd go with what your vet says. He's experienced.

The main element I hear talked about is the bird's keel. Secret's appearance bothers me (bell is rather visible) but the bird gained right after I got her and weight doesn't vary much.

MC looks fine. His keel is nice and rounded.

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Buddy's a Mexican Red Headed

Weight @ vets in Aug (I believe) was 288 grams. His weights recently are

11/13/18 309g
11/23/18 307g
1/1/19 309g
2/27/19 310.43g
3/11/19 310.59g

I didn't worry about the gain in weight because the vet said now that he's flying the weight for him would go up.i

View attachment 298865

:grouphug3:
Eeek! Another pint sized amazon! What is he? How old is he?

Scott E. McDonald

Dang. I never knew Moe was so small for an OWA. None of my vets have ever expressed concern, but I guess I'll talk about it next time. Her weight's been consistently 305-311 for as long as I've had her.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@greytlove

All birds are unique.

Secret looks way smaller than MC which is why we thought she was a she. Smaller feet too.

But no. DNA was male and they are each blue fronts. Go figure.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My amazons don't weigh as much as some of the other blue fronts. I'd go with what your vet says. He's experienced.

The main element I hear talked about is the bird's keel. Secret's appearance bothers me (bell is rather visible) but the bird gained right after I got her and weight doesn't vary much.

MC looks fine. His keel is nice and rounded.
I don't mean to go off topic here, but you brought up keel, which brings me to a question while it's still fresh in my mind. Parrots tend to land on their keel when learning to fly, or are frightened do you think it's one of the areas that a parrot owner should watch and keep an eye on since it effects their wing muscle strength and flying ability??? Reason I asked, my zon I had now for 7 years, she's 13 going on 14 now, I'm 3rd parront to her.....she's never flown once since I had her and I was concerned about her keel. Vet said her keel is "abnormal", meaning in his terminology, that earlier in life she damaged or badly bruised it. But other than that X-Ray about 3 years back showed it was ok and airsac was ok, which was a concern for xray but, bruising according to vet, takes a long time to heal,so she is fine now. I and vet agree that previous owners didn't have her fully checked with xray, as bruising may have had an effect on her ability to fly....she just can't fly. Any opinions????

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I would think so. With Secret, I'm scared she will land wrong and split that open since it isn't "padded" with flesh or muscle. Her playstand is low to the floor because she will get spooked over things and flies down. We have no other animals and won't be getting any dogs or cats. Secret hasn't hurt anything yet but like members here will tell you, I'm a worry wart.

Note my screen name here though? I launched in with no bird experience and took these two amazons in. I've read a ton and traveled to seminars in other states just to learn. I'm far from knowledgeable. I'll tag and ask someone like @Macawnutz who might know an answer to that one?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I would think so. With Secret, I'm scared she will land wrong and split that open since it isn't "padded" with flesh or muscle. Her playstand is low to the floor because she will get spooked over things and flies down. We have no other animals and won't be getting any dogs or cats. Secret hasn't hurt anything yet but like members here will tell you, I'm a worry wart.

Note my screen name here though? I launched in with no bird experience and took these two amazons in. I've read a ton and traveled to seminars in other states just to learn. I'm far from knowledgeable. I'll tag and ask someone like @Macawnutz who might know an answer to that one?
Thanks!
Don't worry, we are all worry warts! It's natural as a parront. That's great you traveled to seminars. You know, I've had birds since early 70's, and I'm still learning about them. We are always learning, and our birds are always teaching us. It's great really. Sharing the ideas, the knowledge, the experience it's fun!
I'm just curious if maybe there is someone on here that may know of ways to flight train safely, and maybe excersises for wings after a bruised keel. I don't know if poppie is terrified to fly, or if she can't fly. She's never been clipped. I put a blanket down and pillows for safety and tried to encourage her to fly, she just goes straight down. So I won't try it any more. Sad, I was going to try a second time but she openly said " nooooo" then leaned forward put her beak on my lips, and signaled she wanted on perch. I respect her wishes. She's either frightened badly about flying or was hurt trying in past from former parronts. I honestly don't now and as much as I thought I knew of parrots, this baffles me.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Eeek! Another pint sized amazon! What is he? How old is he?

Dang. I never knew Moe was so small for an OWA. None of my vets have ever expressed concern, but I guess I'll talk about it next time. Her weight's been consistently 305-311 for as long as I've had her.
He's a Mexican Red-Headed Amazon.

Fully grown, unless there's a growth spurt in their 23-24 older age. I'm educated guessing that he's between 20-25 probably closer to 25.

Thanks!
Don't worry, we are all worry warts! It's natural as a parront. That's great you traveled to seminars. You know, I've had birds since early 70's, and I'm still learning about them. We are always learning, and our birds are always teaching us. It's great really. Sharing the ideas, the knowledge, the experience it's fun!
I'm just curious if maybe there is someone on here that may know of ways to flight train safely, and maybe excersises for wings after a bruised keel. I don't know if poppie is terrified to fly, or if she can't fly. She's never been clipped. I put a blanket down and pillows for safety and tried to encourage her to fly, she just goes straight down. So I won't try it any more. Sad, I was going to try a second time but she openly said " nooooo" then leaned forward put her beak on my lips, and signaled she wanted on perch. I respect her wishes. She's either frightened badly about flying or was hurt trying in past from former parronts. I honestly don't now and as much as I thought I knew of parrots, this baffles me.

Buddy didn't fly @ all when I got him. He was scared, I found a really good penn plax perch & we attached it to the front of his cage 1 set of rungs from the top. That way when he landed, he could grab & rock forward & grab the cage w/ his beak. We play landed there a bunch of times & it worked. He wouldn't have reached his chest.

Here's the downfall to this. Those perches have been coming in broken @ the fastners. I bought 2 for Buddy @ Xmas & Angrier then any Chicken trying to read Dickens...

They were either made wrong or they are stinky now. Amazon had tons of bad reviews for them. I've been waiting to get new ones hoping that the issue would get fixed.

I'm sorry your Fid was injured so badly & is now fearful. You could play fly & land & maybe in time your Fid will chill a bit.

:grouphug2:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Coco is a hefty 635 grams. Our vet wants to see him get down under 600.
Rut roh... Weighed Coco today and he has embarrassingly GAINED weight in my care and gone up to 645! :headsmack:

I need to get better at portion control.. He loves eating SO much he goes down to the bottom of his cage at night to eat the food he dropped during the day! His custom aviary arrived a few days ago, but I have whiplash from a car accident so can't get it upstairs and assembled yet.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Angel is 467 grams right now. Sounds like he's right in the middle of the AA zon family. Although looking at this overhead view of him, he does look a tad portly! Lol

20190420_195208.jpg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Nice buffet!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My second bird was a OWA. I answered an ad and knocked on the door. They took me through the house and out the back door where I saw an unclipped amazon, in a tree, eating a peanut butter sandwich. I can't imagine how much my old girl weighed at the time, but she was huge, so much bigger than my LCA. On a good diet with lots of exercise she slimmed down gradually over a number of years, but she never lost her interest in people food.

Last edited: