• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much birdie bread?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had tried a bird bread mix a while ago and none of my birds were crazy about it so I never really thought to try it again. A few days ago I was cleaning up the bird closet and found half a bag of intune fruit pellets that my birds didn't like/ was too big for them. I decided to try making some bread using the pellets and some other stuff I had on hand. I believe I used broccoli, carrots, dried fruit, sprouted seed mix, and soaked walnuts.

Turns out they all love this bread that I made up. Captain is picky with his chop so I'm glade he's getting some extra veggies and I haven't been able to get my bourkes off seed so I'm glad they're getting some pellets. I'm just not sure how much to give them, would it be harmful if I gave them too much? I've been giving them some with their pellets/ seed everyday after breakfast, is that too often? I mean it's mostly pellets so I don't see any real harm in it but I'm just looking for some other opinions. Now that I know they love it I'll be sure to make it extra healthy next time. It would be great to find a no bake recipe so that none of the nutrients are compromised by heating.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...like @Mizzely, I give one small slice to each bird....except Milton, who really would rather have "CAKE". ;)

Marley- rest in peace- would always like to jump up and down on the bread before he ate it...:rolleyes:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I found half a bag of intune fruit pellets that my birds didn't like/ was too big for them. I decided to try making some bread using the pellets and some other stuff I had on hand. I believe I used broccoli, carrots, dried fruit, sprouted seed mix, and soaked walnuts. Turns out they all love this bread that I made up. It would be great to find a no bake recipe so that none of the nutrients are compromised by heating.
Would you mind sharing your "recipe"? You've shared most of the ingredients, but how did you prepare it? I would love to find a way to use up the pellets our guys won't otherwise eat! :yes3: I've thought of birdie bread, but don't know how to go from pellets to "bread".

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Would you mind sharing your "recipe"? You've shared most of the ingredients, but how did you prepare it? I would love to find a way to use up the pellets our guys won't otherwise eat! :yes3: I've thought of birdie bread, but don't know how to go from pellets to "bread".
I just soaked the pellets in water until they got mushy. Then all I did was add ingredients until it seemed like an ok texture. I kinda went off of this but I didn't measure anything. Sorry, not much help lol

IMG_7664.PNG

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I just soaked the pellets in water until they got mushy. Then all I did was add ingredients until it seemed like an ok texture. I kinda went off of this but I didn't measure anything. Sorry, not much help lol

View attachment 286203
That's a lot like how we "do" BB...a little of this and a little of that. Our guys like the bread on the mushy side, so we add a little more applesauce, which gets the desired effect.

BB is not an exact science...at least it's not here...it's kind of like a baking adventure every time...:D

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah I think my flock liked this batch because it looks really similar to their chop when I crumble it up. It's not as wet as chop but it is on the wet side for bread so I think they like that