• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How mich time should I take my cockatiel per day?

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Help!!

So this week it’s been very busy for our family since we’re moving and I almost never have time for my little buddy. He always chirps/screams to get my attention and he always climbs on the cage walls! He is a wing-clipped 5.9 month old male cockatiel. Please tell me your opinions below; how much time per day should I take him out of his cage???

Thanks in advance! :hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think the very minimum would be three hours broken up throughout the day if possible. Mine are out for about four hours a day. It’s good to have a loose schedule so he knows when to expect out of cage time. This helps with screaming. My birds know that my weekend schedule is different than my weekday schedule. I find that during meals is a very convenient time to let my birds out. I give them some of their food then, and they like to eat when I eat. Also, I give them just a little bit of millet when they go back to their cages and talk to them a bit so they aren’t sad to go back in. It helps to have a nice size cage with foraging opportunities too. How big is his cage?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When I am home and doing something that isn't dangerous (cooking, cleaning the bathroom, etc) the cage door is open so he can choose how much time :)

Max83

Walking the driveway
as much as you can! more time if he is alone, I bought a second cockatiel for keep company to my male, they are out at least 4 hours a day (can happen only one hour in very busy days) and spend interacting with me one hour at least