• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many of you get beak tip breakages

Johno

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,

Just a quick post about tip breakages and how many of you experience this. My pickle who is a 6 year old timnah African grey. Over the last year ( I rescued her a just over a year ago) she has had 3 of these where the very tip seems to fracture and eventuley works its way off.

The first time it happened I booked the vet and took her down but by the time I got there it had come off and she had smoothed it completely and the vet said if he didnt see my photo he would have said nothing was wrong.so on the other times I have closely monitored her and after a day or 2 she is back to her normal self.

On all occasions there's a tiny drip of blood which stops almost immediately with no interference from me, I guess it's sore for a bit while still attached and she goes very quiet which I guess goes hand in hand with it being sore.

So basically this has just happened again ( 3-4 months ) from the last time and is currently very quiet sitting on me with her head under her wing but was just woundering if this happens regularly with others or if it's something else I should be looking at.

She has perches for filling and chewing and her most used rope toy which she spends hours distorting.

Many thanks for your help

John

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
In 35 years of having birds I have never had the experience you are describing. I suspect the problem is related to the conditions he was kept in before you got him. What does the vet say about the multiple breakage? I suspect poor nutrition and husbandry practices. I would provide multiple calcium and minerals blocks and also perhaps making some birdy bread with added calcium and minerals grated into the batter. Of course it is going to take time for the weaker beak material to grow out and the stronger new material to take over the tip.

I think you are looking at at least a year, probably longer dealing with this problem. As long as the bleeding is quickly contained, the breakage will be more of a nuisance than an injury.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
My babies will break a little as that is nature's way of shortening them. I find out about it when they scratch me with it but when they chew on the wood again it gets smoothed out.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Chaos has had many tip breaks. I actually want them. His beak is fast growing and can get sharp and long quickly. He's not big on large wood, so at times the tip gets too long.

Once it breaks a little, it only takes a few days for him to wear it down smooth and we're good til next time.

I've never seen blood though from a tip break. I guess one day it could happen.

G

Genie

Genie 's tip will break once a year or so. It actually breaks in a pattern, with "wings" going off from each side. It looks very natural & correct.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I asked my vet to explain the beak thing to me before we got our birds. The best way the Avian Vet explained it to me was that their beaks are like our nails. It's made of a similar protein that is expelled by our bodies. It will flake if diet is poor and will naturally grow (some more than others) and chip just like our nails.