• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How loud are they really?

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Hey, I was reading all the good the bad the ugly and I notest that a lot of people seem to say they are loud. I was wondering is that loud screaming all day long?

Or screaming or sqwauking once every few hours?

How loud are they really if anyone can give me examples or explain?

Thank you.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey vocalizes in the morning, mid-day, and in the late afternoon/early evenng just for 5-10 minutes or so. I live in a condo and so far no one has complained.
I can hear him from outside the house but he doesn't sound really loud. To me the crows sound louder. He is louder than my cockatiels.
Hope that helps.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Zeek will call loudly constantly if he knows I am home. The call if very loud and piercing. He was out for several hours with me and even got a walk in a stroller outside, but it was not enough. If I am not at home, I believe he is quiet.

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I can hear my caique screaming from outside and 1 1/2 blocks away with the windows shut. She is LOUD. I used to live in graduate student housing that didn't allow human babies because of the noise, but my landladies loved my birds and used to say that her screaming her little heart out was "singing" and "being happy." :laugh: In a small apartment, it was pretty stressful to be honest, especially when I was trying to study or take a phone call and couldn't get away. You can train them to make other sounds instead of a piercing scream when they want attention, but I haven't been successful in completely eliminating the screaming.

Try looking up "caique screaming" on youtube and turn your speakers up to full volume. Can you handle that call for up to 20 minutes at a time? Can your roommates or people you live with?

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Mine is young and not that noisy to be honest. Freddie makes sure i know that s/he's happy that i am home from work and maybe a little noise in the morning when i get out of bed

Reactions: Fay

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Dang I didn't realize they could get so loud. Maybe I will have to continue my search for the perfect parrot for my wife and I. We live in a small attached home with nosy neighbours so maybe. Caique that can be heard a block away is not a good idea haha.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
You can avoid constant screaming by providing a partner. The screaming is a flock call because the bird feels lonely and exposed without its flock.

However all parrots scream at dawn and dusk, and I have never met a quiet parrot who was not seriously ill

TNTiel

Moving in
The one staying with me alternates. He's been very quiet for several days now, making soft vocalizations and whistling. A few weeks ago he set up this ear piercing, high pitched chirrup that he made about every 45 seconds for 3 days straight. It was probably the most annoying thing I've ever experienced, my nerves were quite shot at the end of the long weekend (It was very rainy and thundery, and this seemed to be related in some way). I was home all that weekend and tried lots of different stuff..stcritches, treats, whistling vocalizations that I made, moving his location, going outside for a while when it was dry, playing YouTube videos of other birds and caiques..nope. That was just a thing he wanted to do for a bit.
Personally I like cockatiels for quiet parrots. They are popular for a reason.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Go down to the hardware store and get one of those airhorns in a can. Then sit on the couch with the horn near your shoulder and blast it for about 10 minutes. Every so often right in your ear. Now you will know what a problem screaming parrot is like.

If you look after that bird well. Study behaviour and apply that knowledge and don't actually create the problem, you will have a bird that "vocalizes" like any other parrot would.

Do it badly and you will have an airhorn. So as you can see its not really about the bird but rather your husbandry skills.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Kate had a beautiful sweet chirp before my sun conure corrupted her. I still hear it sometimes when she sees I have walnuts.