• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long should cockatoos be exposed to artificial and UVB lights?

Herr Vogel

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jason Smith
I own a Moluccan cockatoo named Mango. He has his own room inside my house. The room is approx. 15’ x 10’. He’s about 40 years’ old with feather problems and behavioral issues. A parrot breeder that I’ve known for a while suggested that I change the room lighting and the time that the lights go on and turn off. Recently I removed the 2 LED ceiling bulbs and replaced them with 60W natural light bulbs. In addition I have installed a lamp stand with one 26W UVB bulb. I have the ceiling light on a timer: 12 hours on and 12 hours off. The UVB bulb is about 4 feet from his cage and is on for 6 hours; when the ceiling lights are on. Can anyone provide me with comments regarding this lighting scheme as well as the light on / light off times?

Thank you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
12 hours on and 12 hours off is fine. That's the schedule I keep.

As long as you have a well lit room with some windows that let the sunshine in so there is "bright" daylight temperature (5000 kelvin) then your bird is getting it's light requirements. Those UV bulbs do not really do anything for your birds health because they are so low powered that the effects are almost not measurable. If you take your bird outside into the unfiltered sunlight it will get more benefit from 20 minutes in the sun than sitting directly under that light for a whole week. You're wanting to provide vitamin d3 for your bird. Do this through diet.

Birds require a BRIGHT DAYLIGHT environment most importantly for their vision because it is different than ours. It also encourages activity and vocalization.

Recently I removed the 2 LED ceiling bulbs and replaced them with 60W natural light bulbs.
I would not have done that unless the LED was not as bright. You want that room to be "sunlight" bright during the day.

Herr Vogel

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jason Smith
JL: You mentioned vitamin D3 for my bird. What foods are good sources of D3?