• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long exposure to Air Fresheners to be Harmful?

Bryan Y

Moving in
Real Name
Bryan Yang
I live on the 3rd floor on an apartment that uses the Timemist device to keep the apartment hallways smelling decent. The Timemist activities every 15 minutes. I know that Air Fresheners Sprays, Plug-In Fresheners, and scented candles are bad for birds. But if I ever have to take my bird out or into the apartment, I would have to enter the hallway. The Timemist device is attached to a wall in the center of the hallway. I live towards one of ends. So I could time it and dash out (avoiding the 15 minute interval activitation). Would even that brief exposure to harmful to birds? Or am I just being paranoid?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You aren't being paranoid and good for you for asking. It wouldn't be deadly for you bird to suffer a few seconds of the mist, so I wouldn't worry a lot about it. it sounds like a good plan for you to dash out between mistings.

Bryan Y

Moving in
Real Name
Bryan Yang
The building management put the Timemist device in place, because tenants would cook meals and sometimes the smells would wander into the hallway.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm surprised you don't have a back or side door you can use. In the US, atleast, I thought all rental properties have to have another exit, incase of emergencies?

I don't know how harmful it is but I would be afraid to run my bird past all that artificial smell

Bryan Y

Moving in
Real Name
Bryan Yang
Perhaps I should clarify that the building has two exits, a north end and south end with the time mist device in the middle of the hallway. I live one room from the north exit.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
I'm surprised you don't have a back or side door you can use. In the US, at least, I thought all rental properties have to have another exit, in case of emergencies?

I don't know how harmful it is but I would be afraid to run my bird past all that artificial smell
Yes, this is true but you're not supposed to use it unless it's an emergency. Walking your pet dog, cat or bird out of these doors is not concidered an emergency.