• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long do Vasas live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't find any solid sources. I've been told 20 -30 years, 40-50 years, and 60+ years. The breeder I got Java from said they live about 30 years, but another Vasa owner said 45 years. When I first got Java, the breeder told me he was at least 13-years-old, and that it was impossible for him to be younger than that. Turns out, after contacting his original breeder, he was born May 26, 2009, making him 9-years-old.
I'm not too worried about outliving him considering I have good genetics: both my paternal grandparents are still living, being in their mid 70s, my maternal grandmother is still living, having just turned 82 and she still works two jobs, and my maternal grandfather lived to be 81 before he passed in '06. However, age and longevity is the main thing I considered when looking for a bird as I didn't want a bird that would definitely outlive me. Considering Vasas aren't common, I have no clue about their average lifespan. The oldest recorded Vasa lived to be 53, I think, and this was back in the 1800s.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Personally I'm always somewhat skeptical when people say " such and such specie of bird lives this long". My own personal take is we haven't been studying parrots long enough to really know. There may be some exceptions for more popular species but overall I think most of the time it just a guess. Like you I've seen wildly different age ranges for certain species. Plus as care improves life spans grow longer too. Cockatiels were once thought to live 12-18 years but now you hear a lot them making it into their 20's and even into their early 30's. Thou a 30+ cockatiel I would guess still fairly rare, I have heard of a few cases where it happens. Plus fact when when birds get rehomed, often times they lose info on their age for some reason. So to me it's all pretty murking. I wish I had a more satisfying answer for you, but that's my take on it. :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Hard to say, Nerd bird was at least 31 when he left us in 09 and I think Pionus might be somewhat similar in size to Java but I also believe if a bird is happy and well fed and loved they tend to hang in there happily as long as they can.
Nerd was skinny and bad bad feather color and between he and his brother I would have bet he would be the first to go. His brother Ferd got suddenly sick a few years in and was gone in 8 hours and he was the fat healthy well feathered bird of the two. Just take care of him and love him and he'll happily hang out with you as long as he can like I said :heart:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He could live long enough for you to be a Grandma a couple times over! :D

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I don't think they have alot of data on birds like Java & Hawkheads.

I think Hawkheads can live like a African Gray...50 years if lucky...or more

Luck, health diet...it all depends...They can live longer in captivity if its right & in the wild there are so many things they can die from...

I'd say least 40 to 50 years if taken well care of & of course health & luck...like all of us!

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have often wondered the same thing as I have heard and read so many variations on life spans. I have seen anywhere from 30-60, 30-75, 25-80 for macaws and then I did read somewhere they can live to be up to 112. So I figured that I will just pour as much love into my bird as possible and cherish each and every minute I have with him regardless of time. I expect if he stays healthy that he will outlive me and be lucky enough to then make my kids clean up after him ;)

It would be nice to know what time frame to expect and plan for but I suppose that we never know what tomorrow will bring, I always say that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow for all I know.......I really do not see that happening to my bird but you get where I am coming from.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
It would be nice to know what time frame to expect and plan for but I suppose that we never know what tomorrow will bring, I always say that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow for all I know.......I really do not see that happening to my bird but you get where I am coming from.
Yes I agree:) We just never know! My cockatiel Tiki was old when he came to me, but relatively healthy. Not the best, but okay. I expected him to at least leave for uni with me, I planned to get him a cockatiel friend then and Henkie a lovebird friend. But Tiki died of an unexpected cause three years before I graduated high school. We never know! All we can do is enjoy the time that is given to us. I have seen one study that studies 200 lovebirds(I think) and their age was generally 30 when they died.. while other people claim they don’t live past 15! Not as huge a difference as the larger birds, but it does make one wonder:)

Status
Not open for further replies.