• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long did it take your new bird to settle in?

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
Hello there,
I am looking after a rescue senegal called Pigeon. He's 19 and delightful. I've never looked after a parrot before, so I was wondering how long it might take for a parrot to feel settled in his new home, from your experience? Or any tips you may have for encouraging him to feel loved and safe. It's been 3 days now. He follows me when I stand by his cage, he bows his head for a scratch. I whistle and talk to him and never touch him without his permission. He accepts food from my hand, but doesn't want to step up and I haven't pushed him too. When I let him out, he stays on or next to his cage (on a manzanita tree I got him). I know it will be a while before he trusts me and I'm happy to put the hours in to earn it. I adore him already. Is there anything you learned from experience that you wished you had known with your first parrot?
I've been lurking for a long time, reading everything I can and have found the information here so helpful! Thanks everyone.

Attachments

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My budgie was hand raised so he was comfortable in within a month.

@Hjarta5 rescued a sengal, maybe they could help?

EDIT: Pidgeon is really cute!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hello there,
I am looking after a rescue senegal called Pigeon. He's 19 and delightful. I've never looked after a parrot before, so I was wondering how long it might take for a parrot to feel settled in his new home, from your experience? Or any tips you may have for encouraging him to feel loved and safe. It's been 3 days now. He follows me when I stand by his cage, he bows his head for a scratch. I whistle and talk to him and never touch him without his permission. He accepts food from my hand, but doesn't want to step up and I haven't pushed him too. When I let him out, he stays on or next to his cage (on a manzanita tree I got him). I know it will be a while before he trusts me and I'm happy to put the hours in to earn it. I adore him already. Is there anything you learned from experience that you wished you had known with your first parrot?
I've been lurking for a long time, reading everything I can and have found the information here so helpful! Thanks everyone.
That can vary by many variables. Some spieces take longer, some rescues can take quite some time. My former military took months, his entire family was killed in an auto accident. They treated him with a lot of love..he was an emotional wreck when I got him.
My senny I rescued, took a month, but now my daughter's bird.
My zon, took 9 months. My major Mitchell took 3-4 months, silver crested took about 4, ...
Point is its all in the person, patience and developing the trust and bond. It's not given over night, takes time. takes developing a set routine they can identify with and feel comfortable with.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So many variables for sure! I adopted my Jardine's at 19 as well and he took about a week to warm up.

My green cheek, 12 hours
My first quaker, 3 days
2nd quaker, several months
Hahns macaw, a few days to greet me, several weeks to get comfortable in my home

Usually there is an adjustment period of about 6 months for you and the bird to find your groove completely (until they throw off the groove :lol:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can reasonably expect it to take a full season (1 year) before you can call what you have a relationship with your bird. And that's if you don't make too many mistakes along the way.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Hello there,
Sounds like you are doing an admiral job!! Just keep associating yourself with wonderful experiences for him, like treats, yummy foods, the head skritches, letting him make decisions, etc. All these are wonderful reinforcers. Gradually more and more different reinforcers will become part of his life including being with you! As for a time scale, that is difficult. Every bird is an individual and has a history that affects what he is like today.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I suppose I am asking how long is a piece of string! But it is comforting to think we could be real pals within the year. Thank you. And that poor military macaw. That's devastating.
Well welcome kate, you can be pals with us all!
We rather call it family, we act like family. Even if we seem to not agree, we actually come together...always.
Yea the military was my first parrot, back in 1977. He came from a very loving family and was treated really good! But an accident down in battle creek, mi. Claimed the whole family.
I was asked to take him by a relative of the family. Lou was his name. And trust me the eyes of a parrot can show emotion and sadness.
I've never heard a parrot cry, but I 'll say this, I swear he did cry for months.
It took a while, months actually until he opened up. We taught each other. He passed away in 2012. He spent 35 years with me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh @Hawk12237 :sad7:
That’s is all so sad! Sad his family died, heartbreaking the way he cried, but happy that you had each other.
It’s wonderful he had such a long, happy life with you, but it must have been so gut wrenching when he passed.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oh @Hawk12237 :sad7:
That’s is all so sad! Sad his family died, heartbreaking the way he cried, but happy that you had each other.
It’s wonderful he had such a long, happy life with you, but it must have been so gut wrenching when he passed.
Thanks Deanna.
I was never prepared to take on lou...I was only a 1 1/2 years out of high school, working and going to college. But my parent and lou's parents were friends. I even had a big crush on their daughter who was just a half year younger than I.
so when the tragedy hit, it hit hard. I knew Lou and handled him on and off before the tragedy.
My dad suggested I take lou, and informed me about it when a relative of the family couldn't take him. But I managed.
Lou went everywhere with me. Like Milton the too, Lou liked going to the ball game. He loved people. We'd go to the white caps games in grand rapids. Though you get people that ask questions, and dumb ones.... " is it a parrot"..."is it a mammal or is it cold blooded".... " do they poop" .. "Do they fly, or are they just walkers"... And many other really stupid questions....I just look with a blank stare, wanting to say, " what walking talking coo coo clock clan do you belong to?? " ...lol..I know some just haven't a clue in heck what a parrot is.
About 3 years after I got lou, I went to buy Billy jean, a too, that resulted in police and other law enforcement showing up where this too was...a rescue story in another thread...but Lou and Billy jean became really good and close buddies.
( somewhere I have a picture taken of Lou and Billy jean on perch, both had one foot up and holding each other's foot, and touching beaks. )A once in a lifetime pic. Billy jean was quiet for a couple weeks when Lou passed. She wouldn't come off her cage, which was next to lou's. Wouldn't talk, wouldn't play. She was emotionally hurting.
Billy jean was the boss of the house even following several more parrots. The too stomp walk, with crest up, ( those with Too's know that walk) they come into room all bad a** like wondering " you didn't ask me if it was ok for you to do that, who gave you authority.
Anyway yea, lou's passing was hard. buried out back with his own head stone by four others that passed of old age. Best bird I ever had. 35 yrs, you don't get over it easily.

Last edited: