• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long did it take for your Pionus

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I had a foster pi once that didn't eat or drink for an entire day when I brought her home!
Kei settled in right away but he was only 9 months old so he was pretty confident.
Toady stepped right up out of the carrier and started eating 10 minutes later.

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
It took my Pionus about 24 hours to start eating. And maybe 3 days before he started playing with a toy. . . tentatively. Now he demolishes toys, flies around and eats like a little piggy.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Well Angel is 3 and has only been here 2 weeks but the first day she was eating, drinking and begging for head scritches. I still can't pick her up, she refuses to leave her cage but she loves to be pet and interacted with in or on her cage. I am taking it slow and not forcing the issue.

How is Jewel doing?

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
Well Angel is 3 and has only been here 2 weeks but the first day she was eating, drinking and begging for head scritches. I still can't pick her up, she refuses to leave her cage but she loves to be pet and interacted with in or on her cage. I am taking it slow and not forcing the issue.

How is Jewel doing?
Jewel ate in the am this morning. She did come out of her cage as soon as I opened it. She's still shy/scared. She's clipped so she hopes away, I don't push her. She's stepped up a little but if I give her my hand, she moves away for the most part. She does take treats from my hands. She's been super duper quiet. Does not seem to mind the household, the dogs, my youngest son.

I can't wait to sniff her. :lol: I used to sniff my Amazon & she smells just like that!! I've been told, when asked is the smell like that of an Amazon, most people say no but I say oh yes! She smells just like my Sherwood did! :)

She's eating great, chewing on her toys, was on her swing but I can't wait, and I hope, that she'll want to at least be by my side. I've told everyone we'll let her settle in for a while & then let her live with around us. :D

Kmurph43

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kim
I have had Lucy for two weeks and a day. She flew here from AZ, so was very anxious to get out of her carrier. She came right out onto my hand and let me pet her. I showed her her cage but kept holding her for a bit. Pet her head and talked real soft to her. I put her in her cage and she just sat on the door perch. She didn't eat or drink for hours! She finally ate "some" but didn't drink anything. She did play with the one toy by that perch. It took about 6 days for her to actually wander her cage and check everything out. She still has the favorite door perch but does love a couple of the toys. She always comes out to me and loves being out of her cage. She will scoot away from me when I try to put her back sometimes. She has lunch with us everyday and she seems to really like that. She is not keen on baths but everything else seems to be going fine. My husband and I have an almost 4 year old that she loves, She tolerates our 12 year old. He has high functioning Autism and I wonder if she picks up on something and my husband doesn't handle her at all yet. She would let him but I think he may be a tad intimidated...shhh...don't ever tell him I said that...ha!! She' real good with my mom too.

Ohya...she does smell really good!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Quite awhile, but he was coming from a HUGE breeding facility with a large 10ft bare cage with one perch, to a smaller cage with tons of toys and perches, new food, etc. so it was hard. He was 2 and never held since handfeeding, so it took some time. Not much though, he is a sweetie pie and shy and quiet, you would not even know he was there! He steps up and potties where he is supposed to and is just a joy to be around. He HATES my husband though, and hyperventilates every time he hears men's voices, even on TV. Especially hispanic men, which my husband is, so I think it is because of the men who used to feed him at the breeding place, they probably scared the crap out of him every day. Overall though he has done well, and is even starting to forage and play with his toys :)

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
Aww poor Poncho! I feel sad reading a background like that. Glad you have him.:heart::hug8:

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
Morning two with Jewel:

She is a real treasure, so happy I named her what I did. lol She's sweet & stepped up, sat on the back of the couch with some foot toys. She took off & we were like I wonder what she wants. She wanted to see outside, in the front window. Before anyone asks, she's is clear of the 4 majors so...she came from a tested closed aviary.

She's eating really good & chewing on her toys. I'm really happy with her. She's still so quiet, not that I am complaining...just sayin.. ;) Going to share some pics of her from today.

Going to go get her some more smaller perches. I am still waiting for my order from Olivers Garden so she can have her platform perch as well.

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
Oh & Pionus people thanks for your responses. I'm going to be asking a lot of things as Jewel & I take this journey together called life. :heart::heart::heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
According to a recent very interesting article that I read written by E.B Craven in (Parrotmag), it takes parrots about a good year to settle in.:)

Sachi was my first parrot and only parrot for quite some time. It seemed that she settled in pretty quickly. Maybe 3-4 months.. but I really don't know for sure.:o: I think what helped alot in my case is that I visited Sachi everyday until she fully weaned and this was for almost 7 weeks. She was 10 weeks old when I first met her.

seharley

Moving in
Real Name
Susan Harley
Quinn has been with me for about 9 months and was turning 2 yrs old when he came to me (he is my only parrot). He ate pretty easily but for several days was VERY quiet and didn't move around all that much in his cage, let alone chew any toys. Since then he has become a lot more active and "noisy" -- that is, making cute little grumbles, squeaks, trills, and "purrrs" quite alot. He also has this adorable quiet croon/sigh that he gives at night while he is settling to sleep -- he likes it when I say "goodnight" and "I love you" in response. He is not much of a cuddle-bug, though, which I admit is a times a little disappointing. He does love to have his head, cheeks, and neck scratched (when he's in the mood... when he's not, he sidles away from my hand). He steps up (usually... again, there are many times where he just prefers to observe from his lofty cage and make noises). It is funny, though; even though he is not very touchy-feely, he hates it when I leave the room and will start to make louder noises, trills, and sometimes if his cage is open (which it usually is if I am home) he will fly (careen?? -- his wings have just grown out and he is by no means a graceful flier) into the next room to find me. He will often repeat this until I come back in the room, and then make happy noises... yet still sidle away if I go to scratch him. And while he loves me, he is quite aggressive to anyone else. I think this is because I live alone and so he is not socialized, which I feel badly about. Anyway... yep, that is my Quinn, who will turn 3 in October. I love him dearly!!! :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww,she is so adorable. She looks so tiny in her huge cage :heart:

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Hardy took a few weeks to settle in properly. He ate well right from the start (he's a little piggie!) but was very cautious and reserved around me for a long time. He loved my husband though - prefered to step up for him or my son. Eventually he realized that all attention and treats come from ME, so he adjusted his preference. :)

Then we went through the cage aggressive phase (around 6 mos long), then this spring was our first bout with hormones (oh boy!). So I think he's getting pretty comfortable with most aspects of his life. We've learned how to respect each other, and read each other's body language. Well, actually I'm learned all that. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.