• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long can cooked beans be left out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
So I cooked up a big pot of my bean mixture yesterday and then once as it was cooked I set it on the counter to cool before putting it in the fridge. Well I kinda got busy and forgot.:o: I think it was maybe sitting on the counter 3-4 hours after cooking. But it was still warm. Do you think it's still safe to freeze up and feed my fids?

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
If it's still warm, it's still good.
I make bird veggies and bird bread in large quantities. I have 12 qt crocks that I mix & cool my veggies in and then transfer to snack size ziplocks for freezing. I usually have to leave them out for about 4/5 hours to cool, stir well, bag and freeze.

Plus reheating for single servings, will eliminate any possibility of things.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
O, Thanks for the info Dana, because I have accidently done the same thing with my birds beans, haha!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Also agree that it wouldn't be a problelm....
Now if you had "bubbles" starting!!!!!:eek: Then NO!!!!!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
what about cooked beans kept in the fridge.....are they okay for four days?

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
The rule of thumb on fridge stuff is 3 to 5 days. I usually thaw my veggies the night before in the fridge for the next day, same w/ bread.

People food I usually don't keep longer than 3 to 5 days. I also use probiotics w/ my birds 1x per week - so keeping/using some things longer really isn't an issue either.

On a funnier note ~ many years ago I had a problem w/ weavils (sp). I thought I had to throw out some bird cook mix (when I stopped buying packaged in a bag) and pasta. Several long time bird friends (one who is a biologist) told me to cook it weavils and all. I did. That was the most eaten bird veggies & pasta I ever had (and the best blood work/test results I ever had - 3 mos later on well checks). Go figure.

babycakes122972

Meeting neighbors
Wow Nelson.........thats good to know.....I would throw it away, but now I know if it happens just to cook away... ty:dancing:

Trevor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
So I cooked up a big pot of my bean mixture yesterday and then once as it was cooked I set it on the counter to cool before putting it in the fridge. Well I kinda got busy and forgot.:o: I think it was maybe sitting on the counter 3-4 hours after cooking. But it was still warm. Do you think it's still safe to freeze up and feed my fids?
Beans or any other food should be almost at room temp before being put away. If you over warm food and refrigerate, it may sour. So your good!

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Ok I just went to freeze up my beans from 2 days ago and at the bottom of the pot they are kinda slimy. Do you think they are still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.