• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long can a Large 'Too be left alone per day?

Is my situation okay for a cockatoo?

• Total voters

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
Ha yes me and my brother are both using this. He just graduated from UCLA and is living with roomates like you saw earlier. I am the one who is homeschooled, as it's really my account, I let him use it because he was thinking of getting a X-Large parrot, but as you can see he changed his mind haha. We both love birds and have wanted them since forever. He just had some questions and he's too lazy to get his own account. So he used mine.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Ha yes me and my brother are both using this. He just graduated from UCLA and is living with roomates like you saw earlier. I am the one who is homeschooled, as it's really my account, I let him use it because he was thinking of getting a X-Large parrot, but as you can see he changed his mind haha. We both love birds and have wanted them since forever. He just had some questions and he's too lazy to get his own account. So he used mine.
Ooh, congrats on graduating!

Sushi77

Sitting on the front steps
I have a GCC and he is my first bird that I am fully responsible for. I had a cockatiel when I was younger, but never really interacted with him and he was my parents bird. You might consider getting one because they are "quieter" than other parrots and can be cuddly. I was expecting this when I brought mine home, but considered that he might not be quiet and cuddly because well all birds are different. He is quiet for about half the day. A small part of the other half he is making cute quacking noises and little chirps. The rest of the time he's screeching his little head off because he just loves playing with hanging bells or he's chatting with the birds outside through the window for an hour or two at a time. He loves screeching his loudest before bed (around 10pm). He's also the furthest thing from cuddly. He chooses when and if you can touch him on his terms only. While I love him to death and wouldn't give him up for anything, be aware that getting a GCC because they're USUALLY cuddly and quiet isn't always the case.

CockatooDad

Moving in
Real Name
Leo
“Social life” Hahaha, I lost that to day I got my galah. I’m in high school, and I don’t hang out after school with friends ew, I socialize with my sweet pink girl. I don’t go out on the weekends, even when I’m young and get invited to parties, movies, ect. Nopeeee, I take my dog to the beach with you guessed it, my sweet girl on my shoulder. When we get lunch break at school, I run home and spend time with the birdie, before rushing back to school. I don’t even think of her as a pet, she’s a WILD ANIMAL that didn’t get the best start at life, so now she’s my rescued child. Just, yeah...a social life won’t last long when you bring home these intelligent, mean, snuggly, great, grudge holding birds! But I still couldn’t live without her.

CockatooDad

Moving in
Real Name
Leo
I never really had a social life to begin with anyways, lmao. And I do actually love love, bonding with my birdie. It’s my favourite part of the day coming home from school to spend time with her. It’s not for everyone though.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
This is a super old thread. But I’ll comment on the revived “social life”. I don’t do a ton of social events but My wife and I do enjoy going out to the movies and or dinner with friends from time to time. You can still do this stuff. We just do it after bedtime. Cockatoos have a strict 12 hour sleep schedule. Mine sleeps from 7:30pm-7:30am. So we just go to the 9 o clock show. No one does anything before 7:30pm anyway. And if you do want to go to dinner earlier every once in awhile it’s not THAT big of deal. Now if you do it multiple times a week I wouldn’t recommend that at all.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I own and cockatoo and cockatiel. Im out for 9 hours a day and left them over night before and mine are fine. The have plenty of toys and are housed in separate cages in the same room. I do have a ducorps cockatoo who is a small one and shes not nearly as demanding as umbrellas

CockatooDad

Moving in
Real Name
Leo
I actually have a really demanding galah, she is able to be alone for 9 hours but she’s usually only alone for 6 hours a day. .the best thing to do is to play with the bird in the morning before you leave. And as soon as you get home say hi to the bird.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm honestly a bit confused. In previous posts from a couple of months ago you said you were in your early teens and were being homeschooled - and now you're in your early twenties, live with roommates and their pets, and have a job? Are two people using the same account?
I noticed that too!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, it doesn;t hurt to ask or dream but sometimes we have to change our dreams to fit reality...

A too is a 3 year old who never grows up & lives for 60 years...Its me me me & me forever til death do us part////

Depending on what you want for the next 40 to 60 years ...you have to choose carefully///

I understand that bird dilemna///I went to look for a fish & then I saw the birds I forgot about a fish. Truth is a big goldfish will recognose you & want to eat...Any animal loves you because you are the bearer of sweet fruits that make them happy..Not much pf a reptile person but birds are a life change!!!! Serious... in everything...time & way of life... you & everyone in the house needs to understand & be on board...
They can be great & they can be serious source of frustration....that's all folks///

Choose wisely

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Lazy is NOT one of the characteristics for bird "ownership" I say that because they own you & unless you want to be the butler or maid to one without pay for 50 years...stop & think... as I watch ove r Penny as I try to eat as she wanted out & I gave in,,,

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
It also depends which cockatoo you get. I have a Galah, which are among the smallest and least demanding. They are not velcro birds either. Fred does have times when he wants to sit on us, with us, but also has times, such as fall and spring, where he wants to be around us but not wanting to be touched. In fact, during these times, he will try to bite my hands. We just say NO BITE FRED, and he finds something else to bite lol!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
....I just realized I never answered your question! I work a lot of hrs, it varies weekly but my husband is home at the same time each day. Fred gets individual time with us each day and he's ok with it. If I have to go to work I can't let him out during hormonal periods because once Fred is out, if he's in a don't handle me mood he goes in when he goes in. In that case it has to be when we're home for the day. We have a system that works. I think its just finding what works but cockatoos are a lot of effort all around.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
....I just realized I never answered your question! I work a lot of hrs, it varies weekly but my husband is home at the same time each day. Fred gets individual time with us each day and he's ok with it. If I have to go to work I can't let him out during hormonal periods because once Fred is out, if he's in a don't handle me mood he goes in when he goes in. In that case it has to be when we're home for the day. We have a system that works. I think its just finding what works but cockatoos are a lot of effort all around.
Ooohhhh I had those days too with two 'Too's and a macaw, "The go away I'm not in the mood days" .....lol. I just let them be. Didn't lock them up, just let them do their own thing. I just make it known when they get testy or nippy, and say" hey...I'm not afraid of your big bad beak, so don't even think about it. " ....they learned,
Respect the bird, they respect you....trust goes both ways.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Ooohhhh I had those days too with two 'Too's and a macaw, "The go away I'm not in the mood days" .....lol. I just let them be. Didn't lock them up, just let them do their own thing. I just make it known when they get testy or nippy, and say" hey...I'm not afraid of your big bad beak, so don't even think about it. " ....they learned,
Respect the bird, they respect you....trust goes both ways.
Yes and that's exactly how it is. I lay down on the floor and he will walk all over me and let me kiss the top of his head. Just no hands. Lol the things we do for these little beings :rofl: when he's in that mood I let him out when someone will be home because he can't be handled he just does his own thing, and goes back to his cage about 8:30 or 9, like clockwork!

Last edited: