• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long can a Large 'Too be left alone per day?

Is my situation okay for a cockatoo?

• Total voters

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I think i'm going for a GCC. Quiet (for a conure) playful, and generally cuddly (not cockatoo level, but I think it makes up for it when it's not as much as a handful) Anyone here have GCC's?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Look up a new book by one of our members here called Flock Call. It is written just for you believe me.
Author is Kathy LaFollett

It's a short read and on Amazon.

I agree you are not living in a situation that is conducive to having a companion bird of any species. Conures are tough and strong willed birds. Wait until you are living independently without so many predators around.
Mark my words "you will be sorry" and most of all this bird will end up confused and have behavior issues.

Last edited:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I don't know where you got partying from? We are the most boring 20-23 year olds you will ever meet. A fun night to us is playing Rainbow Six Seige and eating pizza. I can't think of a reason a bird can't be involved in that?
That's a party to somebody in their mid thirties like myself. :D:cool:;)
Although I did go to a concert last December and I lost count of how many beers I bought around 18 over the course of four hours. I payed for that dearly the next day. It was a once in a lifetime indulgence. I usually drink about 2 beers a month, and nothing else.

Idk why I felt it necessary to say that...

Anyways, this is what I really think. Cockatoo? No go. Definitely a no go. Smaller bird? A no go, but if you knew 1000% that your roommates were onboard and they would assist in caring for the bird, it's a "maybe" go. I suggest that you find a parrot rescue where you can go volunteer in your off hours (the group of you, not just you). If your roomies agree to this it shows an encouraging level of dedication, and you will know you can count on them. Volunteer there for a few months. If after a few months, when you have a full understanding of what parrots need from a human, if one of those (not a cockatoo) birds latches on to you and makes it obvious that he/she wants to be part of your family, you can seriously consider taking that bird home.

We aren't trying to be jerks to you, I hope you understand that. It's just that we are all parrot parents, and you aren't, and, especially because you are so young and are away so much and you live with roomies, we want to make sure that

A) You genuinely understand the HUGE responsibility this will involve

B) Your roomies understand (A) and are 1000% onboard and will help care for the bird

C) That the bird doesn't get rehomed after a couple of months or a year because you bit off more than you can chew. Parrots can have broken hearts just like people. It's just not fair.

Having said all that I urge you to reconsider and look at something a bit more "early 20's" speed such as

*Snakes
*Lizards
*Turtles
*Tarantulas
*Scorpions
*Aquariums

Last edited:

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
Scorpions....oh no. I get what you mean though, I will look in to volunteering soon.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Scorpions....oh no. I get what you mean though, I will look in to volunteering soon.
You know there are large fish that will recognize you and beg for food and actually enjoy your company right? Oscars, especially.

Do you like shrimp? Crabs? Crawfish? It's all possible in the world of aquariums.

or maybe a (relatively gentle) giant lizard like a Tegu

Or a "medium/large" snake like a coastal carpet python?

^Will TOTALLY chill on you for hours while you play PS4.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Having said all that I urge you to reconsider and look at something a bit more "early 20's" speed such as

*Snakes
*Lizards
*Turtles
*Tarantulas
*Scorpions
*Aquariums
I have a real problem with this statement ...so your not up for the OP getting a bird but lets talk them into getting an animal that is just as thrown away or even more so than birds because they are not ready for a bird that will live 20 yrs but are ready for a snake that will live for 20 yrs ....:faint:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I have a real problem with this statement ...so your not up for the OP getting a bird but lets talk them into getting an animal that is just as thrown away or even more so than birds because they are not ready for a bird that will live 20 yrs but are ready for a snake that will live for 20 yrs ....:faint:
I don't think that's the intent. I think @theocnoob is just trying to give options of a less needy animal than a bird. Something that is quieter and not likely to upset roommates. I think he still wants people to be responsible for whatever animals they choose :)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I don't want anybody to throw any pet away. That's not the intent. The idea is that these pets require orders of magnitude less from their humans than birds do. I've never heard of somebody giving up a snake because they were frustrated/exhausted by the amount of maintenance the snake required. You feed them once a week, clean up their poo when they poo (once a week), and wash their water bowl and fill it with fresh water twice a day. That's it. Daily maintenance is literally about 80 seconds total.

I can see somebody in their 20s keeping the snake for it's 20 year lifespan more than I can see them keeping a bird for its 40 year lifespan.

Also, I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything. I'm offering alternatives.

If he wants a pet that will sit on him and hang out for hours while he plays video games and will be ok with being left alone for long periods, you can't go wrong with a snake. Nobody's saying he can't have the snake AND the cockatoo, if he gets the cockatoo years from now when he has more free time and his own place and is more stable in life. JM2C.

And obviously don't have the snake and the cockatoo out of their respective enclosures at the same time.

I don't know what's going on today... people are totally taking my posts out of context.

Last edited:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I would have to disagree keeping some reptiles are way more needy in their habitat and husbandry then most birds ...;)
That's why I didn't suggest poison dart frogs ;)... which are amphibians, but you get my point.

Also, with all the hygrometer equipped automatic humidity/photoperiod/temperature/dosing equipment out there these days, I'm not sure I 100% agree. You can't automate a friend for your bird.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I don't want anybody to throw any pet away. That's not the intent. The idea is that these pets require orders of magnitude less from their humans than birds do. I've never heard of somebody giving up a snake because they were frustrated/exhausted by the amount of maintenance the snake required. You feed them once a week, clean up their poo when they poo (once a week), and wash their water bowl and fill it with fresh water twice a day. That's it. Daily maintenance is literally about 80 seconds total.

I can see somebody in their 20s keeping the snake for it's 20 year lifespan more than I can see them keeping a bird for its 40 year lifespan.

Also, I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything. I'm offering alternatives.

If he wants a pet that will sit on him and hang out for hours while he plays video games and will be ok with being left alone for long periods, you can't go wrong with a snake. Nobody's saying he can't have the snake AND the cockatoo, if he gets the cockatoo years from now when he has more free time and his own place and is more stable in life. JM2C.

And obviously don't have the snake and the cockatoo out of their respective enclosures at the same time.

I don't know what's going on today... people are totally taking my posts out of context.
The problem is your discounting the care and keeping of other animals...and you seem to think that all reptiles and arachnids are lower some how ....you obviously don't know how bad the resale/rehome/trade/rescue is with these animals ...is it the thought process that all they need is food water and heat and they will live for you ...I think that and someone somewhere thought they were worth money this has crushed these animals ...they deserve just as much from their humans as any animal does ...and thats more than 80 sec ...I have spent the better part of my life with these animals and I can tell you they require personal contact to thrive ...:blink:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
The problem is your discounting the care and keeping of other animals...and you seem to think that all reptiles and arachnids are lower some how ....you obviously don't know how bad the resale/rehome/trade/rescue is with these animals ...is it the thought process that all they need is food water and heat and they will live for you ...I think that and someone somewhere thought they were worth money this has crushed these animals ...they deserve just as much from their humans as any animal does ...and thats more than 80 sec ...I have spent the better part of my life with these animals and I can tell you they require personal contact to thrive ...:blink:
My experience has been different but I respect your opinion.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I don't know why people have a problem with him recommending other companions. I'm kind of just debating everything right now. Snakes seem cool but... I don't know.. I don't know yet: bird, snake, whatever. I don't know. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would think about how much time and money you want to devote to your new companion and WHY you want them. Just to hang out while you play games and entertain you aren't really good reasons, in my opinion.

I will tell you this - I wanted a bird since I was a kid. I love so much about them. And when my rats died I was ready for a new companion that lived more than a few years. Having parrots is HARD. So much harder than I ever anticipated. Some days I regret bringing them home, because they are so loud, messy, and needy. I look at my cats who even though one is licking all her fur off due to an allergy I haven't pinpointed, or my gecko who I spend more time caring for his roach food supply than I do for him, and think about how freaking easy they are compared to the birds. I love the birds, don't get me wrong, but nothing played out the way I expected, even though I had done all the research. Life would be a hell of a lot more simple without the birds. But, I brought them into my home and they are here to stay.

What is your level of dedication? Because over the years I have gone through months of not being able to touch my birds because of hormones, have been bitten in the face by a bird I could trust, have been repeatedly divebombed walking into my own home, dealt with screaming for 7-8 hours a day STRAIGHT, just to name a few. And all of that happened after I was already attached to a sweet baby bird I brought home from the breeder.

Rats are pretty awesome pets that love to hang out. Mine used to curl up in my hoodie while I played video games, and their antics are pretty entertaining too. Honestly the ONLY reason I don't have any right now is because they only live 2 to 5 years and my last ones I loved so much I didn't want to go through with that again. I definitely think I will be opening my home to them again in the future though! Much cleaner, quieter, and friendlier ;)

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
A rat! That's a great idea Mizzely! I had a female rat named Felicia when I had my first apartment and she was such a wonderful girl. Such a snuggly, smart and funny pet!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you...totally out in left field. I don't get this over zealous reasoning either :think1::hmmm:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm honestly a bit confused. In previous posts from a couple of months ago you said you were in your early teens and were being homeschooled - and now you're in your early twenties, live with roommates and their pets, and have a job? Are two people using the same account?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm honestly a bit confused. In previous posts from a couple of months ago you said you were in your early teens and were being homeschooled - and now you're in your early twenties, live with roommates and their pets, and have a job? Are two people using the same account?
I noticed the same thing. It was just back in March you posted that you were a home-schooled "introverted and antisocial" minor who would have all day to be with the bird you chose and you mom was on board and dad didn't really care. (?)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
You guys are too much man. I suggest a snake, some species of which are possibly the lowest maintenance pets on earth, and I get flack (completely ridiculous) and somebody else suggests a rat, which actually needs companionship, and everyone's like "ooh a rat yesss"

:bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash:

Let's all get off our high horses and have some common sense.

What are you guys going to come up with next? That scorpions crave human companionship?

Thank you...totally out in left field. I don't get this over zealous reasoning either :think1::hmmm:
Im rolling my eyes right now. What's out in left field is the wack-job reactions I'm getting to suggesting (obviously to everyone but you guys) much lower maintenance pets.

If you guys honestly think that a snake or a fish or a tarantula needs the level of companionship and dedication that a cockatoo does you're delusional to the extreme. And you're projecting your own emotions onto emotionless (except for fear. All animals experience fear) animals. You guys know that reptiles abandon their young and will eat them the next time they see them in many cases because they don't even recognize their own proginy right? Really intelligent animals.

Last edited: