• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How I got started to cook for kitties

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
I cook for kitties. That started with me cooking for Tinkerbell my parrot as I did not trust kibbles for parrots as they were loaded with ickky additives to remain in box with no refridgeration.

Then that distrust extend to kitty kibbles. Then one day when I chucked away the mash my parrot Riamfada left over at end of the day into my garden, to my amazement, 3 tiny kitties my wife rescued from a municipal dump rushed to eat that despite kibbles left out for them.

Tinkerbell Kitty Mash//Dommie at the beach Ramadhan 2010 //Villa walkabou
shanlung: Tinkerbell Kitty Mash//Dommie at the beach Ramadhan 2010 //Villa walkabout 2

(extracted from above)
That Tinkerbell Mash Batch 9 was made recently, with lots of baggies in the freezer.

I told you that I discard the mash Riamfada did not eat at the end of the day to the kitchen midden for wild birdies to forage about.

One day, I decided to give that discarded mash to the 3 little kitties. To see them fighting each other to gobble that up even when kitty kibbles were in another bowl next to them.

You know I have deep disquiet over kibbles that come out of a box. That extend also to kitties. So I decided to do a trial batch of kitty mash with Tinkerbell Mash as its foundation. I took out 3 baggies of Batch 9 from the freezer and defrosted them.

They weighed 840 grams. I kneaded 200 grams of minced beef into that lot as kitties needed taurine which can only be found in animal protein.

The 3 kitties loved the kitty mash. To both our surprise, the diarrhea that the 3 tiny kitties were having went away the next day giving us beautiful solid kitty turds. Must be our imagination, they seemed to grow so visibly. We only have a few weeks to go and I wanted to give them a better head start in the short time we got left.

Dommie also love that kitty mash, and it went quickly. Even though I topped that kitty mash with discarded Riamfada's mash at end of the day.

I then decided to cook a batch of special kitty mash as that first kitty mash went so quickly. The rest of Batch 9 will be for Riamfada.

Since then, I continued to cook for my 2 kitties Ivan (18 years old rescue from Hongkong and with us since then) and Sieben our Abby.

Extracted from recent postings I did in Facebook
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last well documented kitty mash here
Karen Pryor//Jackie Mash 03//Sieben & Jackie // Nasty Nic
shanlung: Karen Pryor//Jackie Mash 03//Sieben & Jackie // Nasty Nic

In a Nat Geo documentary on wild bears feasting on salmon, when there were loads of salmon, the bears got more particular and ate only the salmon skins and eggs discarding the flesh. And recently I saw in supermarket salmon skin with bits of flesh attached were being sold at half the price of salmon fillet. I love the salmon skin (I add to my porridge and noodles and COOKED) and found kitties love raw salmon skin too. Which got me adding it to their mash. Kittie mash by the way need not have raw salmon skin or mince meat added. Those were already cooked into the mash. 2nd last batch of mash had 200 gms of dried anchovies, 750 grams of pork mince in them. Last batch of mash had 200 grams of dried anchovies, 250 grams of pork mince, 750 gms of salmon skin cooked into it. On days when I too lazy to add more stuff, kitties happily eat the kittie mash anyway. Adding wet kittie food was a habit from the past that persisted on. From time to time, I add wheat grass and other greens to the mash. I spoil the kitties silly as I am trying to fatten them to the point I can slow cook and braise the kitties - once I can find a good recipe to slow cook kitties

The salmon/pork/wet kitty food are daily addition with regular kitty mash added to 200 to 300 grams daily. Deliberately fluctuated to torment kitties with nothing regular to be faced with feast and famine at my choosing. I also think periodic clearing of their digestion tracts good and healthy as if in wild, they never will have regular meals and I try to replicate that. I think enough photos of Sieben and Ivan for you all to judge their health and scream at SPCA to lock me up for cruelty to kitties

Documenting the additions that go into the total of 200 to 300 grams of mash for the 2 kitties, prepared every 4 days, hold into freezer with a baggie thawed again for the day.
100 grams of raw salmon bits and skin , 40++ grams of raw pork mince, 100 grams of wet kitty food combined with salmon and mince to 227 gms
Then 130 grams mash added and well mixed by kneading to 400 grams and divided into 4 baqggies, one used for the day and other 3 into freezer
typical baggie of regular kitty mash of 385 gms
4 baggies of 100 gm salmon/mince/wet kitty food/mash - which then be topped up with kitty mash to daily 200 to 300 grams fed to the horrid beasties

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
How those 3 horrid kitties above came to be with us
Extracted from Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - more on mind & tofu // Dommie at Omer//kitties// Riamfada and 3 turns on dime
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

kitties

My wife went out with bags of rubbish. She said she was going to the municipal bin a bit down the road to throw.

She came back with a tiny orange ball with 4 legs. My wife said that came running to her at the bin area.

I thought that was karma.

We lost Katie or I would not have allowed that.

That kittie looked on the verge of death. The intervention of my wife gave her life.
I do not want to give her a name. So we called her Noname.

In a few days, Noname got her strength back.
Still, I should have put my foot down. But I thought a life saved to atone for Katie.

Noname even joined us on the neighbourhood walks.

Then my wife went to throw rubbish again.

That was how Unnamed came.
I knew I should have thrown a tantrum on Noname, but felt what was done was done.

And my wife went to throw rubbish yet again.

And Nameless came. My wife promised me no more kitties. There were three that she saw. That the first kittie , Noname came when she called and the other two ran away.
Then a few days later, Unnamed came when she called. The third time, she saw Nameless who could barely move.

They all live outside the villa in our car porch.

Only Dommie was very unhappy. Spitting and hissing whenever any of those orange balls of fuzz came within a foot of him.

Guys, do be careful if your wife said she is going to throw rubbish in municipal bin outside. Never mind about what the cat bring back. What the wife can bring back is your bigger worry.

More photos in flickr folder 'Close to the final chapter '
Close to the final chapter - an album on Flickr