• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How hot is "too hot"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelGoffin

Sprinting down the street
I know that cockatoos in general are from a tropical and warm climate, but how hot is too hot to have them sitting all day? And can the budgies thrive at the same temperature as the cockatoos?

The last couple of days it's been upwards of 95+ IN the house. I run the fans at night (making sure neither one of the birds in the direct path of the drafts), but Angel had a hard time sleeping last night, which is getting more and more unusual. I'm not sure if it was just one of those nights or if it was from the heat. I wasn't sleeping well and that was definitely from the heat.

Generally at night it cools down sufficiently that I can run the fans from the time I get home until we go to bed and the house is much cooler, but we've had humidity (highly unusual), tropical storms and thunder (incredibly unusual) and this record breaking heat. Just last week we had record breaking cool temps for the area. Crazy weather...

She has a big bathing dish in her cage that she hasn't used yet, so I'm assuming it's not too hot for her. Am I right?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Rule of thumb is if its comfortable for you its fine for them

but i would think a temperature in a house of 95+ is way to hot for birds, that have never stepped foot in their native lands

and even worse with it just being stale heat no air circulating
birds show they're hot by holding their wings away from their bodies, also some pant

do yours do either?

can't you use an air condition?

I have central air and my house stays around 75 degrees plus i have fans on in the main rooms (living room,and my room) during the day and night to circulate air, and at night both my kids sleep with a fan

AngelGoffin

We pump in fresh air from outside until about 10 AM when Josh goes to work. The ceiling fan in the dining room is on all day long and it's on high, so the air is not stale. Neither bird acts as though they are hot or even bothered by the heat, I just wondered because it seems hot. Angel has always loved it warm. I prefer the cold and always have. I run the heater close to her cage during the winter, yet I'm sleeping in my room with the windows open - she definitely prefers the heat.

But neither bird displays any symptoms of being hot nor do they seem lethargic. Angel still wants to play all the time.

We don't have A/C because as a rule we don't need it. The temperature generally rides in the mid-80s here. We've just been going through a particularly hot spell the past three days and although it's cooler today and will be cooler tomorrow, we won't be past this until Monday (more or less).

I have always understood that you should never point a fan directly on your bird and you should always protect them from drafts - is that not true?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
We pump in fresh air from outside until about 10 AM when Josh goes to work. The ceiling fan in the dining room is on all day long and it's on high, so the air is not stale. Neither bird acts as though they are hot or even bothered by the heat, I just wondered because it seems hot. Angel has always loved it warm. I prefer the cold and always have. I run the heater close to her cage during the winter, yet I'm sleeping in my room with the windows open - she definitely prefers the heat.

But neither bird displays any symptoms of being hot nor do they seem lethargic. Angel still wants to play all the time.

We don't have A/C because as a rule we don't need it. The temperature generally rides in the mid-80s here. We've just been going through a particularly hot spell the past three days and although it's cooler today and will be cooler tomorrow, we won't be past this until Monday (more or less).

I have always understood that you should never point a fan directly on your bird and you should always protect them from drafts - is that not true?

yes that is true, Mine don't point at the birds just helps circulate the air around. I can't be w/out a fan I sleep with one all year long

It must be time for every one to have weird weather We usually get hot in July any way but normally its 90-91 sometimes a little more and usually its what it feels like as well

yesterday it was 90 with the heat index it was 103 my but stayed in the house with the AC On I wasn't going out side for nothing when the dog had to go out I made it quick just stepping out the door i had a hard time breathing and sweat poured off me by the time i got off the porch which is only maybe 3-4 steps from the door to the side walk

but as long as they show no signs of them being bothered by the heat, They probably aren't just make sure they have water at all times, I've noticed when its hot out side, even thought the ac is on the birds room doesn't get as much of it (pipes are messed up) and the Birds room has a lot of windows, that they go through more water even if it doesn't seem all that hot in there to me I'll go around refilling most of their waters twice to 3 times a day just because its almost empty I never do that any other time its because they've made a mess in it

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It all depends what they are used to. They acclimatize to what ever temperature they live in on a constant basis. Any sudden changes above or below 15 degrees F is hard on their systems and would be uncomfortable. For high temperatures they can become dehydrated just like us. Misting them with water helps to cool them off. Just because she isn't bathing in her bowl doesn't mean she's not getting too hot. For instance spending too much time in the hot sun for a bird that is not used to it can kill a bird pretty darn quick.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Don't forget you can mist the birdies also during the day hours. ;)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
and here is a hint to keep your house cooler....keep the windows and drapes closed during the day light hours..it really does help..also put a big bag of ice in a tray in front of the fan...it creates a cool air mist as they melt

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
95F is really hot for a bird.

In the wild yes, certain species in certain climates, are exposed to such high degrees a good portion of the season, but they are not only used to it, they have breezes, air flow, shade to hide under, etc. They dont get typically get overheated and die. In a home, you can kill a bird if it gets too warm for them. You can only acclimate them to so much.

Where are their cages kept?

My birds have a bird room that faces west. It gets ALL of the days heat from 4pm-9pm, it can get HOT. So from that time, they are out of their cages and out in the living room on one of their playstands. And the birdroom door is kept open and with a fan in the window and the birds are misted every 30 mins or as needed.

Last edited:

shf

Avenue Veteran
I would say that 95 degrees is much too hot for cockatoos or any parrot type bird.
My rose breasted cockatoo will start panting with beak open when exerting at 82 degrees inside so can't imagine 95 degrees that is much too hot for cockatoos. house temperature should not go above 80 degrees because this is stressful for even healthy birds.
if you feel uncomfortable the bird will generally feel the same way so they are similar to human beings in the temperature needs. as far as hot and cold.
on a regular basis maximum indoor house temperature should be 80 degrees; minimum temp 62 degrees as these are tropical birds where the temperatures year round only fluctuate between 62 degrees minimum and 82 degrees maximum.
Cockatoo in the wild live in tropical islands where maximum temperatures are 82 degrees during the day with cool ocean breezes and 65 degrees at night that is the normal temperature range for cockatoos 65 to 80 degrees in the shade.
Cockatoos always have access to shade and breezes in the wild with temperatures rarely going above 80 degrees in the shade; this should be the maximum indoor temperature for any cockatoo and do not put bird near a window with direct sunlight as this can kill a bird.
Any temperature above 80 degrees is stressful for a cockatoo and if its 80 degrees or above in direct sun for an extended time it could harm or kill. you will know if your bird is stressed they will have their beaks open and breathing through their mouth this means they are heat stressed and cooling through their mouths.
budgies have the same requirements temperatures as cockatoo

Attachments

Last edited:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
95 degrees is too hot for me much less my birds! Why not put fans in the windows drawing the hot air out of the house rather than bringing air in? I have a whole house window fan that has major sucking power and I open my other windows. I brings the cool air in from the other windows making a gentle breeze in the house and cooling it down substantially.

Can I ask...why don't the window fans run during the day?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Wow, that is really hot...i think I would be super uncomfortable as would all my birds.

Last summer our power was shut off for about six hours during a heat wave...gosh it got hot fast. I misted the birds constantly to make them more comfortable....I kept them all wet and we made it through.

Have you thought about getting a small window unit to keep in case of "emergencies" like this? They are not that expensive and would make everyone more comfortable if this were to happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.